Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 07:52 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,871,370 times

Advertisements

Meat must be rationed to four portions a week, says report on climate change | Environment | The Guardian

...yet another reason for more people to go veggie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 08:21 AM

6,639 posts, read 13,599,265 times
It's good to see climate change and common sense in the same article. Eat local, cook responsibly, moderation, walk...who'd have thought?

Old 10-01-2008, 08:44 AM

5,169 posts, read 11,461,343 times
No problem here, haven't had any meat in over 20 years and no plans of ever again consuming any...

forum rules, please read them

Old 10-03-2008, 02:49 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,627,660 times
Livestock burps aiding in "global warming". I don't care who you are, that is funny shtuff there!

Old 10-03-2008, 10:41 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,494,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
It's good to see climate change and common sense in the same article. Eat local, cook responsibly, moderation, walk...who'd have thought?
Me. You, too?

Old 10-04-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
Me. You, too?
Me too. I'm a farmer, local is what I do. I'll be glad when this is all common knowledge. Suppose we'll see it in our lifetime? I'm 44 and hopeful.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:16 AM

1,848 posts, read 4,692,998 times
I bet we will see it in our lifetime Maine Writer, we will have no choice.

I think that factory farming will be greatly regulated if not obliterated in our lifetime. I dont think everyone will be on a vegetarian diet, but I do think that factory farming will be kaput!

Old 10-05-2008, 03:45 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,494,687 times
Got a few years on ya' there, Maine Writer ! I don't think we'll see the obliteration of factory farming in our lifetimes. Definitely in our children's lifetime, though.

Ultimately, we will have no choice, as cr1039 said. The choice is already out of our hands (maybe this goes in the Green Section?).

What do you farm, vegetables, cows, itty-bitty lil' chicks()?? I will always support local farms and farmers as best I can. Luckily, here in the PACNW we have an abundance of those folks. Even some of our local fourth-generation farmers are struggling to prevent major gas pipelines cutting through their property (Yamhill and Washington counties). I think they've already lost, though-

I don't mind paying a little more to "support our own." Even though I live in a city, it is completely possible to buy all of our food from nearby farms, including honey. Buy local!!!

As for the OP (hi, xpat), and the environmental impact of factory farming, even soy farming enters iinto that equation. Soy farming is a multi-billion dollar business. Add in land erosion, loss of natural habitat for animals, and destruction of forests and entire villages..ah, jeez-o-pete, we're scr@#%d

Old 10-05-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
What do you farm, vegetables, cows, itty-bitty lil' chicks()?? I will always support local farms and farmers as best I can.
Vegetables, small fruits, chickens, ducks and turkey. We sell retail and wholesale. Thanks to unheated greenhouses we harvest fresh vegetables 12 months a year here in Maine. We did raise beef and pork but we've cut back on meat so much it's not worth our time. I don't want to raise it for others if I'm not doing it for myself. We buy and barter a little of each from a farming friend who raises them on pasture 100% of the time. If my husband can cut back on meat I think most anyone can.

Old 10-05-2008, 06:12 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,384,866 times
Quote:

As for the OP (hi, xpat), and the environmental impact of factory farming, even soy farming enters iinto that equation. Soy farming is a multi-billion dollar business. Add in land erosion, loss of natural habitat for animals, and destruction of forests and entire villages..ah, jeez-o-pete, we're scr@#%d
Consider that soybeans are mainly grown for industrial uses (processed food oils) and livestock uses, then you will see where the problems are. Only a small percent of soybeans are made into people food like tofu and soymilk.

"Livestock feeds account for 98 percent of U.S. soybean meal consumption, with the remainder used in human foods such as bakery ingredients and meat substitutes."

http://www.ers.usda.gov/publications...601_lowres.pdf

Last edited by f_m; 10-05-2008 at 06:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food