Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 10:16 AM

78 posts, read 348,450 times

Advertisements

What people need to realize is that cows' milk is for their calves, just like human milk is for our babies. Animals, and humans included, only need their mothers' milk when they are babies, so why do we continually use dairy products? It's unnatural. Plus, it's wrong to breed another creature and force them to continually produce milk so that we can exploit them. If they were humans it would be called slavery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 10:19 AM

If you want a trully authentic tasting vegan mac & cheese, you should check out my recipe here:

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18937

Old 10-08-2008, 03:49 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,185,659 times
This is my favorite vegan mac and cheese recipe:Vegan Macaroni and Cheeseā€¦ It Can be Done! : Eat. Drink. Better.

As far as vegan cheese, most is disgusting. Tofutti brand cream cheese and sour cream is decent.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:46 PM

268 posts, read 1,614,510 times
I second the tofutti cream cheese. Their slices are as good as Kraft American cheese slices. So if you like American slices, you're in luck on that front. I wouldn't reccommend using them for a grilled cheese though, it doesn't melt very well.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:53 PM

536 posts, read 2,155,006 times
I agree farmers markets are probably the best.

We don't need cows milk, we don't need milk at all after we are babies. Just like meat, hundreds and thousands of years ago people ate as little as 10% meat in their diets. The only people who live mostly on meat are people living in the artic regions, that eat fish and seal because that's all they have.

Today we have so many options, fruits, veggies, grains, that all come from so many regions and from across the globe so we aren't limited to having to eat meat for nutrients. Plenty of nuts and beans have enough protein to live off of. Years ago people only had a few staples so they needed it every once in a while, and usually just for festive events where the whole village would share a goat or pig. Now I get sick thinking about Mc Donalds and all this other crap people are putting in their bodies. Not only is becoming vegan moral to me, it's also healthier. I hope I can do this, it's been a few days and I have so much more energy.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephthys View Post
I agree farmers markets are probably the best.

We don't need cows milk, we don't need milk at all after we are babies. Just like meat, hundreds and thousands of years ago people ate as little as 10% meat in their diets. The only people who live mostly on meat are people living in the artic regions, that eat fish and seal because that's all they have.

Today we have so many options, fruits, veggies, grains, that all come from so many regions and from across the globe so we aren't limited to having to eat meat for nutrients. Plenty of nuts and beans have enough protein to live off of. Years ago people only had a few staples so they needed it every once in a while, and usually just for festive events where the whole village would share a goat or pig. Now I get sick thinking about Mc Donalds and all this other crap people are putting in their bodies. Not only is becoming vegan moral to me, it's also healthier. I hope I can do this, it's been a few days and I have so much more energy.

Exactly. Humans were never designed for meat consumption, but chose meat to eat meat a long time ago when times were rougher and our survival depended on it. We no longer need meat. You should check out this video about the differences between humans anatomy and that of true carnivores and omnivores:
YouTube - Vegan Video

Old 10-08-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christoph83 View Post
Exactly. Humans were never designed for meat consumption, but chose meat to eat meat a long time ago when times were rougher and our survival depended on it. We no longer need meat. You should check out this video about the differences between humans anatomy and that of true carnivores and omnivores:
YouTube - Vegan Video
Cute video.

It's funny how someone can be an animal lover and still eat meat. Think about it! Cows are cute, pigs are cute, sheep are cute.... would you kill it to eat it if you didn't have to?

Old 10-09-2008, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Surrender View Post
I second the tofutti cream cheese. Their slices are as good as Kraft American cheese slices. So if you like American slices, you're in luck on that front. I wouldn't reccommend using them for a grilled cheese though, it doesn't melt very well.
I like Toffuti also. I mix the "cream cheese" with some nutritional yeast, garlic powder, onion powder, real salt, fresh ground pepper, and poppyseeds to make an awesome cracker spread; and I use the "sour cream" to make home made ranch dip. The only Toffuti slices I like are the American flavored ones, which I use in sandwiches or wrap around veggies dogs which I then cook in croissants.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephthys View Post
Cute video.

It's funny how someone can be an animal lover and still eat meat. Think about it! Cows are cute, pigs are cute, sheep are cute.... would you kill it to eat it if you didn't have to?

Seriously! Meat is meat, no matter where it comes from. Eating a cow, pig, etc. is no different than eating a dog, cat, or even human flesh. It's all meat.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christoph83 View Post
Seriously! Meat is meat, no matter where it comes from. Eating a cow, pig, etc. is no different than eating a dog, cat, or even human flesh. It's all meat.
Have you been to....

http://www.meat.org

that's the main reason I decided to go vegan.

I have a weak stomach and I get sensitive easily so I cried for hours after watching it, but seriously I can't imagine someone actually wanting to eat meat again after watching it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food