Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2008, 12:18 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,918,688 times

Advertisements

We are going camping next week and I'm always looking for good dinner ideas for tent camping.

We always have to have hotdogs and baked beans (we have young kids). Last trip I made pita pizzas, which turned out okay, and portabella mushroom burgers which turned out fantastic. One time I made a quick an easy dish with dried tortillini (cooked, obviously), with a little oil and a package of dry Italian Salad Dressing mix--it was surprisingly awesome.

Your turn next...I hope! Also, does anyone have a good online source for vegetarian marshmallows? I have to admit, that has been the last thing to go (besides the dairy/egg) in my veggie diet. I kind of do the fingers-in-the-ear while singing "la, la, la, I can't hear you" thing with marshmallows (I love Smores more than anything!). Has anyone tried cooking a veggie marshmallow over a fire?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 11:34 PM

61 posts, read 95,250 times
Here's what I had for dinner while camping along the Mogollon Rim this past weekend:

...in 25 degrees I reckon anything hot would be good, but this was very tasty. Just add boiling water and you've got a great meal.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:34 AM

I just got back from camping at Cochise Stronghold--and even there it was very chilly! Time to move camping locations to the mid to lower desert areas. I've never heard of Mary Janes Farm--where did you purchase it?

We ended up only going for one night, so my meal planning was simple--veggie dogs and beans.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:21 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,620,702 times
I like this thread, I like cook'n/smoke'n veggies. I'll do my best to make it veg friendly, please correct me when I make a mistake.

Smoked cabbage is great. Whole head, core out stem, put in alum foil stem up, add evoo, k.salt & pepper, keep top open, take off when "just right"(that part is up to you). If you can use butter, put a whole/half stick in the cored out stem area. It's good

Artichokes are great! Cut off about 1" from leaf side, kinda open it up, add evoo, bit of lemon juice, k. salt, pepper, put in foil stem up(cut stem off at base but put in foil as it is good too), bit more salt and cook till knife goes in w/little resist and comes out clean. Sorry, every dip I can think of has dairy/eggs in it. I've eaten w/out dip and it is still fantastic.

Corn on the cob......heh, if you don't know then you "ain't no vegetarian".

Hope this helps.......a little late but there is always next time. My kids LOVE the cabbage and artichoke(cabbage does have butter and bacon over the top for them though....but I don't think they'd miss it)

Later

Old 10-16-2008, 03:23 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,476,003 times
RE: marshmallows.

Try Food Fight grocery (www.foodfightgrocery.com). It's here in Portland, OR. I just checked & they carry stuff to make your own 'mallows. I think I'll order some, 'smores sound so good right now!... (it's an all-vegan grocery store).

Old 10-16-2008, 04:11 PM

Thanks for the link SeeBee! I have to admit that I had the chance to buy a bag when I lived in NH, but since we barely went camping that year, I didn't want to risk buying duds! I know, weak...

Capt.--how long do you steam the cabbage? I'm actually horrible at roasting veggies over a fire! I'm talking really horrible! I'm thinking one could come up with some interesting ideas for stuffing the core with... Anyhow, but son loves cabbage, but he was disappointed with the artichokes I made this summer--he thought it would be all like the artichoke hearts you buy in the jar!

Old 10-16-2008, 06:38 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,620,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
Thanks for the link SeeBee! I have to admit that I had the chance to buy a bag when I lived in NH, but since we barely went camping that year, I didn't want to risk buying duds! I know, weak...

Capt.--how long do you steam the cabbage? I'm actually horrible at roasting veggies over a fire! I'm talking really horrible! I'm thinking one could come up with some interesting ideas for stuffing the core with... Anyhow, but son loves cabbage, but he was disappointed with the artichokes I made this summer--he thought it would be all like the artichoke hearts you buy in the jar!
I just go by feel........and when they are hungry.

Artichokes can be tough, buy'n the right ones too. Check out alton brown good eats.....I think it's called "this chokes on you". AB has some good stuff on his show and you can learn alot, too.

Another thing to try is onions on the fire. About the same as cabbage, great in hash browns.

later

Old 10-16-2008, 07:02 PM

11,556 posts, read 53,204,055 times
Depends a lot upon the type of "camping" you're doing.

If you're backpacking, then the ultra light prepared entrees may be "right" for you.

If you're car camping, then I really get into doing full blown meals. I can cook on campfire, coleman stove, butane single burners, whatever ... and I generally wind up being the "camp cook" for a whole host of friends and folks who drop by and can't believe the meals we're eating.

My preference for a big group (6-15 people, typically) is a tossed green salad, a couple of bottles of wine, and then ... several big cast iron Dutch ovens with creole type dishes.
Jambalaya, shrimp creole, chicken in rice, soups, courtboullion of fish ... all cooked from scratch. I can usually recruit help with the dicing/slicing and pot stirring, as the meal prep can take a couple of hours into a late afternoon/early evening. The aroma's are awesome, which frequently bring other folks by who aren't even part of our group just to see what's going on ... especially folks who've just had a "meal" out of a can and some hot dogs.

If we've got enough food, which generally is the case, then some folks will be invited to join our meal. It's amazing how many folks I can feed with rice, beans, onions, leeks, garlic bulbs, a few pounds of shrimp, fish, sausages, ground lamb, a couple of chickens, bell peppers, chili peppers, vegetables, tomato paste (my own homemade from our organic garden), lamb shanks and ribs (for stock), and so forth. We put together meals that would put a lot of multi-star restaurants to shame if they were served in town ... and they're that much more phenominal when we're doing this cooking out in the woods. We're not going anywhere else, so why not have a great meal then and there?

I've also found that I can serve this type of quality food for a lot less money than buying prepared foods and it's a lot more fun while we're out camping. I've been doing this for over 40 years, and it just keeps getting better and easier as the folks get into doing this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food