Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 01:23 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,399,284 times

Advertisements

I have a dilemma. I usually eat breakfast at work since I can't eat for at least an hour after I take my synthroid. Normally, I have a packet of oatmeal, some blueberries and some ground flaxseed. However, I think I'm having issues with products with gluten in it and my Doc suggested going gluten free for a month to see if the problem resolves itself or not.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a guick, portable veggie breakfast I can leave at work? Our 'kitchen' consists of a fridge, microwave and a hot/cold water dispenser.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 02:26 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,469,564 times
Quick? Not really, other than cooking for a few days, and leaving it at work. Like burritos, scrambled tofu, etc. Or are you not able, or not want to cook?

Great scrambled tofu, Fronch toast recipes (easy to reheat): www.theppk.com.

There are some instant-type things available like gluten free frozen waffles, frozen oatmeal, etc. that you can reheat in the microwave. Trader Joe's carries gluten free vegan food, and I'm pretty sure Whole Foods does as well. If you don't have access to either of those stores, try this:

Gluten Free Diet: Easier than it Sounds.

Hope it helps.

I think it's a strictly vegan site, but it'll give you some alternatives.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:14 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,225,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
I have a dilemma. I usually eat breakfast at work since I can't eat for at least an hour after I take my synthroid. Normally, I have a packet of oatmeal, some blueberries and some ground flaxseed. However, I think I'm having issues with products with gluten in it and my Doc suggested going gluten free for a month to see if the problem resolves itself or not.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a guick, portable veggie breakfast I can leave at work? Our 'kitchen' consists of a fridge, microwave and a hot/cold water dispenser.
I eat ground nuts and seeds (I use a coffee grinder and this can be done in advance) with unsweetened almond milk and blue berries. You could put the nuts and blueberrees in a bowl and add the almond milk just before you eat them. I also sprinkle stevia on top. It is so good, low glycemic and very healthy.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
I eat ground nuts and seeds (I use a coffee grinder and this can be done in advance) with unsweetened almond milk and blue berries. You could put the nuts and blueberrees in a bowl and add the almond milk just before you eat them. I also sprinkle stevia on top. It is so good, low glycemic and very healthy.
Thanks for this idea. I already use my coffee grinder to grind my flax seeds, I suppose it wouldn't be that difficult to add some other nuts and seeds as well.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:23 AM

347 posts, read 1,094,935 times
Quote:
my Doc suggested going gluten free for a month to see if the problem resolves itself or not.
I have heard that it actually takes at least 6 months to really feel the difference. You might feel better in a month, but you really cannot tell until you try it for a longer period. And being gluten free, is not as hard as it's made out to be.
Expensive, yes. Hard, No.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:27 AM

347 posts, read 1,094,935 times
Quote:
I Normally, I have a packet of oatmeal, some blueberries and some ground flaxseed.
You could buy Rice Chex or Corn Chex (last I checked they are gluten free) and have that instead of the oatmeal... that way you don't have to vary your bfast diet too much. If you want crunch, you could try the Rice cakes... you could dunk them in milk and eat if you prefer them a bit softer. Should be pretty close to oatmeal-feel/taste, once it's all mushy in your mouth.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:22 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,435,815 times
Can you make a smoothie at home and take it along? Some of my favorites are
soy or almond milk, frozen banana, blueberries, ground flax.... or the same mix but substitute the blueberries with peanut butter.
I also love a smoothie of soy-yogurt, frozen strawberries, raspberries and blueberries with some ground flax.
I LOVE smoothies in the morning!
I also like to snack on nuts between meals, not huge amounts, but about a handful a day.

forum rules, please read them

Old 10-20-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Can you make a smoothie at home and take it along? Some of my favorites are
soy or almond milk, frozen banana, blueberries, ground flax.... or the same mix but substitute the blueberries with peanut butter.
I also love a smoothie of soy-yogurt, frozen strawberries, raspberries and blueberries with some ground flax.
I LOVE smoothies in the morning!
I also like to snack on nuts between meals, not huge amounts, but about a handful a day.
Problem is I can't eat for an hour after taking one of my medications, and I can't stomach it until I'm awake and functioning, so I usually take it as I'm leaving for work. The smoothie would go flat by the time I could have it. I usually have them after work though while I'm making dinner to take the edge off that 'I'm starving' feeling. They're great for that and I count it as my dessert most nights. Who says you have to have dinner first?

Old 10-20-2008, 06:17 PM

Thanks all for the ideas. I'm really liking the fruit/nut idea the best, since I can grind a weeks worth and put it into 5 containers and leave it in the fridge at work. It's also high in protein, so should keep me fuller and more alert at my worst time of day!

Old 10-21-2008, 11:38 AM

85 posts, read 143,278 times
I take synthroid also - I've found what works for me it to heat up one of Amy's Breakfast Burritos right before I leave the house and put it in a container. By the time I get to work it's cooled down enough to be able to eat it, but it's still warm. It has wheat - the tortilla - but I don't think it has gluten in it.

One thing - I've read about studies that show eating/drinking soy with/or within a few hours of taking synthroid can reduce it's effectiveness. I use to have a glass of soymilk in the morning, but now I figure why take the chance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food