Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 04:00 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,348,336 times

Advertisements

Was it tough or is it still tough to be vegan or vegetarian or is it an easy way of life for you?
Like I mentioned in another thread, I probably wouldn't have a problem becoming a vegetarian, other than the fact that I like fish.
To me, becoming a vegetarian would be okay because the only thing I would have to think about is avoiding meat. On the other hand, becoming a vegan sounds very confusing to me. I'd constantly have to figure out whether or not I could eat something or not or what something was baked or cooked with, especially if I didn't prepare it myself.
Does it become confusing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 04:10 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,131,154 times
Although I have no friends that are vegan and I don't like in an area that is exactly vegan-friendly, I find it easy enough to be a vegetarian. I'm secure in my choices. And, I have no desire to call attention to myself or my meal when eating out. In fact, I usually receive lots of compliments on my meal choices since veggies are colorful and eye catching. I don't miss dairy or meat. I try to plan carefully, but occasionally I will slip up and have bread that I later discover was made with milk or some other error. I don't beat myself up over it. It happens. I have to live in the world that we have not the one I design.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:05 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,918,688 times
I find it pretty easy to be a vegetarian. I went gradually, never realizing that I was on the path to becoming one. We have lived in some very small towns, but everyone has always been supportive of our choices. The last town we lived had absolutely no eating-out choices besides pizza, but we were okay with that--it was easier on the budget! They also didn't have any specific vegetarian food at the one grocery store (i.e. tofu), or any of the "natural food" brands we like (like Annie's Cheddar Bunnies), but I would drive 1 1/2 hours once a month to the next "big" town and stock up then.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:45 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,443,007 times
I think these days it is very easy being a vegetarian, even if you eat out a lot. Most grocery stores carry meat substitute type foods, if you want those. There are literally thousands of cookbooks for vegetarians now to give you ideas on what to cook at home.
Being a vegan is a bit harder, if you go out to eat a lot, unless you live in a larger town and have access to health food stores. Eating out can also be a problem, lots of non vegan ingredients where you do not expect them!
But over all I would say it has gotten considerably easier to be a vegetarian or vegan than it was 10 or 20 years ago.

forum rules, please read them

Old 10-18-2008, 10:30 AM

It seems like I knew of more people being vegetarians about 30 or so years ago. I know of one today. My cousins daughter is a vegan, raised in California. Now she lives in San Antonio, Texas and remains one. Texas is all about meat and eating unhealthy for the majority (not all) the people there. I remember when I was living there just several months ago, a couple came into the health store I was working and asked where they could find a place that offered a vegetarian sandwich. At the time, I was in small town Fredericksburg. I couldn' think of a place. Central Texas is not the place to be being a vegetarian.
Now that I'm in NM, I don't think they're veg friendly either.

Old 10-18-2008, 12:50 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,865,466 times
Songinthewind - I have lots of relatives in NM and there are so very veg-friendly places out there. Albuquerque, Sante Fe, Espanola, Silver City, and Las Cruces all have vegetarian restaurants and grocery stores. If you are close to any of thes towns, you may want to look around. If El Paso is closer for you, check out the Sun Harvest market on the west side by UTEP.

As to the main question, I find it pretty easy being a vegetarian. As long as there is a grocery store with a produce section nearby, I can get by just fine since we like to eat at home. My wife has slowly evolved toward being vegetarian so we can always make great meals together.

Old 10-18-2008, 02:25 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,918,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Now that I'm in NM, I don't think they're veg friendly either.
Oh, please don't say that--we are hoping to move there! Well, if my husband gets the Cloudcroft job, you will have another veggie in the area. We'll have to meet up for dinner.

Old 10-18-2008, 02:38 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,865,466 times
Cloudcroft? Oooh, beautiful area with skiing and lots of great hiking trails.

Old 10-18-2008, 04:28 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,831,614 times
It would be easier to be vegetarian here (Houston area) than to be vegan but animal rights issues aside, I don't feel good when I eat dairy or eggs.

Old 10-18-2008, 05:47 PM

I've only been here 4 months and I'm in the mountains in the south central area. Las Cruces is the closest you mentioned and it's 4 hours away. I do know they have a farmers market.
I used to go to Sun Harvest when I lived in Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
Songinthewind - I have lots of relatives in NM and there are so very veg-friendly places out there. Albuquerque, Sante Fe, Espanola, Silver City, and Las Cruces all have vegetarian restaurants and grocery stores. If you are close to any of thes towns, you may want to look around. If El Paso is closer for you, check out the Sun Harvest market on the west side by UTEP.

As to the main question, I find it pretty easy being a vegetarian. As long as there is a grocery store with a produce section nearby, I can get by just fine since we like to eat at home. My wife has slowly evolved toward being vegetarian so we can always make great meals together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food