Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 08:35 PM
NCN NCN started this thread

21,664 posts, read 25,707,652 times

Advertisements

January 1, 2014

Breakfast: 1/2 cup oatmeal cooked in 1.25 cups water with 5 tsps. sugar.
Sliced Orange
Black coffee

Lunch: Baked vegetables--1 lb. medley of vegetables from Sam's frozen food section.
1/2 T. Canola oil
Water to drink

Afternoon snack: Banana

Dinner: 1 can healthy choice garden vegetables soup--this is where the (sort of) comes in. I am not going to worry about a little animal product flavoring in prepared foods.
Diet Sprite with the juice of one lemon on ice.

Last edited by NCN; 12-31-2013 at 08:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 01:18 PM

So far today I changed the lunch and breakfast:

1/2 cup dry oatmeal cooked in 1.33 cups water adding 2 T. sugar
sliced banana
coffee

Salad: 1/4 head lettuce, 2 radishes, 1/8 cucumber, 1 shredded carrot, 2 green onions, 1/4 green bell pepper, 2 T Italian free dressing.

A little less than one cup baked beans. (sort of)

One bottle water.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:39 PM

Dinner: One can Progresso Garden Vegetable Soup.

2 T. crunchy peanut butter on one slice of Italian bread.

Coffee.

Wasn't in the mood for the lemony drink. Maybe tomorrow.

I feel like my body has shrunk! I think this may work for me. It is probably not for everybody though.

Last edited by NCN; 01-01-2014 at 09:48 PM..

Old 01-01-2014, 10:43 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,248,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
January 1, 2014

Breakfast: 1/2 cup oatmeal cooked in 1.25 cups water with 5 tsps. sugar.
Sliced Orange
Black coffee

Lunch: Baked vegetables--1 lb. medley of vegetables from Sam's frozen food section.
1/2 T. Canola oil
Water to drink

Afternoon snack: Banana

Dinner: 1 can healthy choice garden vegetables soup--this is where the (sort of) comes in. I am not going to worry about a little animal product flavoring in prepared foods.
Diet Sprite with the juice of one lemon on ice.
Quote:
Dinner: One can Progresso Garden Vegetable Soup.

2 T. crunchy peanut butter on one slice of Italian bread.

Coffee.

Wasn't in the mood for the lemony drink. Maybe tomorrow.

I feel like my body has shrunk! I think this may work for me. It is probably not for everybody though.
I'll say. Look at thecaloric values. Are you getting at least 1,200? That's the minimum for adequate nutrition, even if you're trying to lose weight. How about the RDA of protein?

Just curious. I really don't know what's in that pound of vegetables.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:10 AM

152 posts, read 459,593 times
I agree with the previous poster--the foods don't quite seem to add up to enough calories for the day.

IMHO, you may have more success sticking to a vegan diet in the long run if you add a little protein to each meal and snack. Beans, lentils, nuts, nut butters, soy milk, and tofu are all great vegan sources of protein.

For example, you could add a handful of chopped nuts and/or soy milk to your oatmeal, some cubed and pan-fried or baked tofu to your vegetables, and 1/2 cup of canned beans (rinsed) to your soup. The added protein and fiber will help you feel more satisfied and for a longer period of time than just vegetables or just veggie soup.

Good luck with your personal health goals!

Old 01-02-2014, 11:22 AM

I had more than enough food. Felt very satisfied all day. I am still working on protein but plan to stick to this for a couple of months. I will probably add some low fat meats in after that. I have already discovered that vegetarian is better for me instead of vegan. That one slice of bread was not even legal. The reason I said it is probably not for everybody is that I am working on a stomach problem. Don't worry, I won't starve myself.

Woke up at 7 A. M. and had planned to have a banana sandwich until I read the ingredients. Had a banana and water. Went back to bed because my feet were cold and slept until 11 something. I did not plan to do that but I feel so refreshed.

Sliced a huge naval orange and had planned to have oatmeal too but almost could not get the orange down. Coffee to drink.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:29 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,248,625 times
Quote:
I had more than enough food. Felt very satisfied all day. I am still working on protein but plan to stick to this for a couple of months. I will probably add some low fat meats in after that. I have already discovered that vegetarian is better for me instead of vegan. That one slice of bread was not even legal. The reason I said it is probably not for everybody is that I am working on a stomach acid problem. Don't worry, I won't starve myself.

Woke up at 7 A. M. and had planned to have a banana sandwich until I read the ingredients. Had a banana and water. Went back to bed because my feet were cold and slept until 11 something.

Sliced a huge naval orange and had planned to have oatmeal too but almost could not get the orange down. Coffee to drink.
I'm confused. Adding low-fat meats back into your diet will mean you are neither vegan nor vegetarian.

And how is bread not legal? Or were you joking about the amount of calories in it? I tend to get low-cal, whole grain bread, with two slices coming to 70 calories. My SO eats bread that is 100 calories per slice. When I read the label, I was all .

Do you have a lot of stomach acid? I get that sometimes. Citrus is the very last thing I eat. It actually causes me pain unless I have a lot of food with it.

FWIW, a lot of people get cold feet (and hands) when they're not eating enough. You say you're not starving yourself, but it just seems that it's not enough food, and definitely not nutritionally balanced. Not criticizing, just concerned.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:39 AM

Thanks for the concern but you really don't need to be. I will take care of myself. My hands are plenty warm but my feet got cold because it is 70 degrees in the house and there was a draft at my bare feet.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:52 PM

Pound package of medley of vegetables baked in oven using 2 T. canola oil. Will eat all I want of these. They come to a little over five cups raw. I am also making turnip greens and hushpuppies and fillet of flounder for hubby.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
I'm confused. Adding low-fat meats back into your diet will mean you are neither vegan nor vegetarian.

And how is bread not legal? Or were you joking about the amount of calories in it? I tend to get low-cal, whole grain bread, with two slices coming to 70 calories. My SO eats bread that is 100 calories per slice. When I read the label, I was all .

Do you have a lot of stomach acid? I get that sometimes. Citrus is the very last thing I eat. It actually causes me pain unless I have a lot of food with it.

FWIW, a lot of people get cold feet (and hands) when they're not eating enough. You say you're not starving yourself, but it just seems that it's not enough food, and definitely not nutritionally balanced. Not criticizing, just concerned.
What do they make that bread out of that you eat? If it is milk and eggs your bread is not vegan either even if it is whole wheat. I don't know exactly what is going on with my stomach but I looked up the symptoms and it was suggested that I try a more vegetarian or vegan diet. I feel better already so I must be doing something right. The bread is 100 calories a slice but I don't recall mentioning that. It was illegal because of eggs and milk.

Last edited by NCN; 01-02-2014 at 02:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food