Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 05:01 PM

269 posts, read 1,270,521 times

Advertisements

I made the lemon-scented quinoa with tahini and chickpeas for lunch today and it turned out great! The quinoa was crunchy, I didn't notice much of the nuttiness though. DH had it with some leftover turkey curry but I didn't have anything to go with it. Next time I'll make some falafels or something.

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
My family loves this one:

Quinoa, Black Beans, and Corn

Ingredients:
1T olive oil
1 C chopped scallions (I substitute onions and add green peppers sometimes.)
2 cloves garlic
1/2 t red pepper flakes
1/2 t cumin
1 C quinoa
1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes, juice reserved (I often use 1 small can of Rotel instead for a little more heat and I don't miss the extra tomatoes.)
1 can vegatable broth
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 C cooked corn (fresh, frozen, or canned)
1/2 tsp lime juice
2 T chopped cilantro

Directions:
In a 2 quart sauce pan, heat oil and saute scallions, pepper, and garlic, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft. 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in cumin. Add quinoa reserved tomato juice and broth (so that there is excatly two cups of liquid) to the scallion mixture. Bring to a boil, cover and cook until quinoa is tender and nearly all the liquid has been absorbed. (The book says this takes about 10 min but it is generally a little longer for me.)
Add diced tomatoes, corn, and lime juice.
Stir together over medium-low heat until heated through. Sprinkle with cilantro.

This is delicious alone, as a side dish or served with tortillas and avocado!
I made some today. I had this page open on my laptop while I made it and I realised at the end that you don't mention when to add the black beans. Well, I added it in at the end and it turned out great anyway! We loved it, simple & easy recipe and very very tasty!

Old 01-13-2009, 05:49 PM

393 posts, read 1,500,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptos View Post
I made the lemon-scented quinoa with tahini and chickpeas for lunch today and it turned out great! The quinoa was crunchy, I didn't notice much of the nuttiness though. DH had it with some leftover turkey curry but I didn't have anything to go with it. Next time I'll make some falafels or something.

Thanks everyone!
Glad you enjoyed this! I loved it too.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:32 PM

7,352 posts, read 11,813,380 times
OK, how do you know when you've rinsed the grain enough?

Old 03-03-2009, 06:55 PM

393 posts, read 1,500,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
OK, how do you know when you've rinsed the grain enough?
My package says 3 times. I usually do twice or hold it in a mesh strainer under running water while stirring around for a few seconds.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:08 AM

7,352 posts, read 11,813,380 times
OK, thanks!

Old 03-10-2009, 01:35 PM

947 posts, read 3,416,419 times
Oh, I don't have quinoa, but I have some millet that i need to use, bought it and don't know how to cook it, actaully bought it to cook for kitties homemade food but tried it a while ago and they didn't really care for it though.

I will get some quinoa too, now it come in cereal type form and flakes too but how else? And what about millet?

Thanks!

Old 03-11-2009, 01:51 PM

A friend told me that you can substitute 1:1 millet-quinoa for quinoa in recipes. Haven't tried it yet, but going to make some porridge one of these days after I find a decent recipe.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:44 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,813,187 times
I got this recipe from one of the ladies who cooks at my local health food store/ deli

This is a sweet recipe, I cook mine in apple juice
add chopped apricots
cranberries
chopped walnuts
minced fresh mint
cinnamon (opt)
and a splash of lime juice
Toss and serve cold

Old 01-06-2011, 08:01 PM

6,423 posts, read 7,712,857 times
Hi All, when I cook my quinoa, I remove a little with a spoon and test it to see if it is the texture I want. If there is extra liquid, I just drain it off before the grain becomes soggy. I saw quinoa at Whole Foods but it was really expensive. I get the same brand at Costco for much less. Thanks for all the great ideas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food