Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 12:13 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times

Advertisements

1. it comes frozen, so refreezing it should be fine
2. it's ok in a sandwich (i think it's just ok as a roast too!)
3. the tofurky itself is salty.

some tips on cooking it - use a baste that tastes good to you, use lots of it, and re-apply it halfway through baking (i think the instructions do tell you to do that). i've tried a lot of different things but i like half soy sauce, half olive oil with some sage or poultry seasoning. also, i recommend cooking it in a covered container rather than wrapping it in tinfoil. keeping it moist is very important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 03:39 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,850,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liza54 View Post
Please try QUORN brand turkey before Thanksgiving. I am 99% sure you will LOVE it and serve that instead!!!! I am amazed how good it is- i 'roast' it w/carrots, celeries, and potatoes, etc.
I buy mine at Wholefoods in the frozen section.
I've never seen this, does it come frozen? I will have to try it this year.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:27 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quorn is good, very good. I am not sure if it's vegan, though.

I like Tofurkey well enough, and when prepared correctly, and served with the traditional trimmings and side dishes, it makes a nice, festive meal.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:28 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
BTW, I think it's great on a sandwich the next day.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:16 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Quorn is good, very good. I am not sure if it's vegan, though.
One of my [non-veg] friends swears by Quorn products, although I've never tried them.

You're correct that the Turk'y Roast (http://www.quorn.us/products/Turk'y_Roast.aspx - broken link) is not vegan:

Ingredients: Mycoprotein (58%), rehydrated egg white, wheat flour, pea fiber. Contains 2% or less of autolyzed yeast extract, onion powder, tapioca and potato maltodextrin, natural flavor from non-meat sources, salt, dextrose, gum arabic, calcium lactate, sage extract, canola oil, citric acid, garlic powder, pepper, sunflower & palm kernel oil

Old 11-23-2011, 08:57 AM

5,167 posts, read 11,434,314 times
I highly recommend the field roast products, especially their "Celebration roast" ! They are available in a small size, so leftovers shouldn't be a problem. Whole Foods and health food stores sell their products. Field Roast Grain Meat Co. (http://www.fieldroast.com/products.htm - broken link)

forum rules, please read them

Old 11-24-2011, 09:33 AM

2,391 posts, read 5,045,334 times
I'm not crazy about Tofurkey, but I got one. It is something to eat. Since I don't celebrate the holiday, so this is my way to enjoy the holiday since I have no family.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:34 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
I also recommend the Quorn line if you are not vegan. The roast is good on a sandwich the nest day or even chopped up to make "chicken" salad with grapes and mayo. YUM!

I do not like Tofurkey. I would go as far as to say it's nasty

Old 11-27-2011, 08:12 PM

5,167 posts, read 11,434,314 times
Even though I am not usually a big Tofurky fan, I had some at the vegan potluck that was pretty darn tasty. I asked how they prepared it and they basted it with an orange maple marinade and stuffed more veggies into it. It was pretty darn good

forum rules, please read them

Old 11-29-2011, 03:42 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,772,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Even though I am not usually a big Tofurky fan, I had some at the vegan potluck that was pretty darn tasty. I asked how they prepared it and they basted it with an orange maple marinade and stuffed more veggies into it. It was pretty darn good
Thank you, I'll have to try it that way.

I actually never made it Thanksgiving (long story) and I bought it from the refrigerator section, not frozen. So can I freeze it uncooked? Or should I cook it and then freeze it? I'm on a special diet at the moment and don't plan to eat it right away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food