Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 08:01 PM

5,169 posts, read 11,444,846 times

Advertisements

When we lived in Maryland the Safeway closest to us was remodeled and they did have a fairly large selection of vegetarian friendly food items... but no Safeways around here.
They had a very nice salad bar!

Good point about the local health food stores. I wonder how they are affected. I try and support our tiny health food store where I can, but some of the prices are simply outrageous and I can't afford them, but I do buy spices and bulk foods there and some produce.

forum rules, please read them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 10:27 PM

319 posts, read 1,912,009 times
I try to go to places like Super Walmart or Winco to stock up on basics. Our Target (not even a Super Target) actually has a good food selection with prices less than the grocery store. We'll usually hit up a cheap store every few months, Target every week, then go to Safeway for whatever is left on the list. I get the unique stuff at Trader Joes like lunches for work when we run out of coffee (their Organic Breakfast Blend is the best). Our Trader joes is unreliable because they are out of stock most of the time of all the stuff I try to buy--can't go in there with a list.

Also we frequent Costco, moreso in summer because the fruit there is even a better deal than the farmer's market.

I'd love to shop at Whole Foods but we usually just go in and browse and get a few things as a treat. They have good produce for my tortoise, and I love the selection of whole grain and veggie things. We already are paying more than I'd like to a month for groceries so I guess we'd better keep the bills down.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:00 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,477,658 times
Stores in my area:

Trader Joe's My preference, by far and the least expensive. I went there this afternoon and their produce section was wiped out! (Most of the produce comes from Washington and with the flooding up there trucks haven't been able to get down here to Oregon). Usually, I can get by with spending $25-35 per week. One half gallon of their unsweetened soy milk was $2.39.

Safeway Rip off. They gouge people on cost for anything slightly resembling organic/minimally processed foods. One half gallon of Silk Soy Milk was $4.49. Amy's products (for instance, pizza) are often $2.00 more than at New Season's. That's flat out ridiculous. And New Season's is a [local] spendy store! They have a bakery -

Whole Foods. I like that store, but I rarely go to the 'west side' of town. WF has absolutely everything!

There's a small, independent store nearby that I used to patronize, but I just can't afford to support them any longer, much as I'd like to. To save money, I always pick up extra things if they are on sale, shop several times a week, and at different stores. It helps!

If I had a large family to cook for, I would definitely head to Costco.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:39 AM

5,169 posts, read 11,444,846 times
Trader Joe is the cheapest in our area, too. $2.99 for soy milk, unsweetened (which is what I buy, too). I am going to Whole Foods today and have a big list. I try to shop their sale items and think their prices are a LOT better than our regular grocery stores for the items I buy.

forum rules, please read them

Old 01-10-2009, 09:52 AM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,373,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Trader Joe is the cheapest in our area, too. $2.99 for soy milk, unsweetened (which is what I buy, too). I am going to Whole Foods today and have a big list. I try to shop their sale items and think their prices are a LOT better than our regular grocery stores for the items I buy.
I haven't paid attention to the cost (though I think it's less), but I've been getting it in the paper aseptic shelf storage boxes so I can buy a lot at a time. These are at Costco and I can have a dozen of them for months. They taste different though, but I like it okay.

The typical grocery store like Kroger/Ralphs or Safeway/Vons, etc... are retail store that will generally cost more than any discount store, in addition to their union requirements. Aside from the fact they sell less of the "alternative" type foods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food