Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 10:23 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,695,736 times

Advertisements

tofu, even the firm kind, is better if you press out the water, but i have not developed a good pressing method yet. one shortcut is to freeze it - it gets very spongy and firm, you can just wring the water out of it, and it sucks up whatever marinade or sauce you're using.

tempeh (another soybean thing) is really nice, a bit more flavor and texture than tofu but it also picks up flavors really well.

this is a nice all-purpose baked tempeh:

the makes marinade for 2 8 oz packages of tempeh. i usually cut them in half the short way and then cut each half into 2 triangles.

1/2 cup shoyu or tamari soy sauce
1/2 cup water
3 tablespoons maple syrup
1 tablespoon minced garlic
3 thin slices fresh ginger

mix together the marinade ingredients in a small baking dish, add the tempeh and bake, covered, at 350 for about an hour or until the marinade is absorbed. flip the tempeh halfway through. that's it!

i originally found this as part of a recipe that involved breading & frying it after the baking, but i like it as is, for sandwiches, stir fries, or just as the main protein component of the meal on its own. you won't believe how flavorful it is, all the way through!

another good meat substitute is seitan, "wheat meat". this is made using flour that has had all of the starch removed so only the gluten/protein part remains. you can make it yourself using flour (involves a long process of rinsing the starch off of the flour) or vital wheat gluten (harder to find, but easy to use!), then freeze it. homemade is much better and MUCH cheaper than the kind you can buy in stores, plus you can flavor it however you like as you're making it.

you can either boil or bake seitan - the boiled makes nice "steak" type things, baking is more of a "sausage" consistency and is easier. here's a good baked seitan recipe:

Ingredients:
1.5 cups vital wheat gluten
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 tsp salt
2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cumin
1-2 tsp pepper (I use 2 tsp)
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (you can use 1/8 tsp if you like it less spicy)
1/8 tsp allspice
2 tsp garlic powder

3/4 cups water
4 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp tamari
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp vegetarian Worcestershire sauce

Preheat oven to 325°.

In a large mixing bowl mix dry ingredients. Mix the rest of the ingredients (liquid ingredients) in a smaller mixing bowl. Whisk well until mixed.

Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix well, then knead for a minute or two.. it doesn't need long.

Form into a log (6-8" long), wrap tightly in foil, twisting ends. Bake for 90 minutes. When done baking, unwrap and leave out to cool all the way. Then wrap it foil or plastic and refrigerate. Slice to use as desired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 08:59 AM

481 posts, read 808,376 times
We love zucchini sliced in half lengthwise and grilled on the barbeque. YUM!

Old 07-17-2009, 12:38 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,689,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
Beans are an awesome (and cheap!) way to substitute meat. I grew up on beans and tortillas (very filling though not exactly the most healthy)- meat was often times a luxury. I am partial to navy beans.

Also, I felt like something deep friend but not meat related, I ruined a perfectly good cauliflower by frying it and it was deeee-damnlicious!! I regret nothing!
Beans yes!

And chickpeas mashed with veganese, spices, onion and celery can stand in for tuna!

Old 07-11-2013, 04:25 PM

24,155 posts, read 32,592,370 times
Really any type of Squash works well.

Stuffed Summer Squash with rice and lentils is awesome!

Portable Mushrooms are wonderful on the grill or as a filling for stuffed peppers, cabbage, a "meaty" lasagna ingredient or stuffed, as a meal or a side.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:32 PM

48,581 posts, read 35,009,850 times
I always go for portobello (sp) mushrooms, or things like chickpeas in salad.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-18-2013, 03:58 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,788,037 times
Wheat meat (or "seitan") made out of wheat gluten can be almost impossible to distinguish for animal muscle, and you can certainly eat it a la parmesan as well as stir-fried, baked in BBQ sauce or what have you.

Look for recipes for vegetarian haggis. They are like little lentil loaves full of nuts, carrot and sage, almost too filling to eat when smothered in gravy.

Morningstar Farms makes a delectable and super filling black bean burger you really ought to try.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:07 PM

639 posts, read 1,125,920 times
Lentils and beans are a good substitute for ground meat. Avocados are a good alternative to meat and are just as filling. Mushroom broth is great in place of beef broth and is very tasty in vegan soups and chili.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:30 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,765,710 times
Bulgar is a great substitute in chile con (no)carne.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:58 AM

912 posts, read 1,529,559 times
I'm not vegetarian anymore, but I still make my favorite vegetarian tacos -- chickpeas simmered in taco seasoning, and mashed a little (not a lot) to prevent them from rolling out of the taco. Lentils also taste great here, but the chickpeas really soak up the taco seasoning and taste wonderful. You can make your own taco seasoning, but will I be booed out of the forums if I admit to liking the pre-made, sodium filled pouch of deliciousness? Because I really, really do...

Cauliflower buffalo wings are another favorite -- this is a good one, but there are tons of others on the internet.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:19 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,097,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatswanlady View Post

Cauliflower buffalo wings are another favorite -- this is a good one, but there are tons of others on the internet.
Oh my god... WANT! NOW!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food