Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 06:20 PM

7 posts, read 5,372 times

Advertisements

Portobello mushrooms, starches, and tofu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 09:26 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,867,481 times
Hummus, peanutbutter, tahini, salsa/bruschetta, nuts and legumes, tubers, leafy vegetables, raw fruit, steamed vegetables - I don't think I'd ever really want to "substitute" for meat. Healthy, tasty non-meat foods should be able to stand on their own merits, without having to serve as a "substitute" for anything.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:06 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,341,538 times
I love Indian food.

I make a very easy and fast veggie meal with chick peas (I get canned, I'm lazy and a bad cook), a can of tomatoes and onions and garam masala.

I use a cast iron skillet.
Heat skillet, heat the garam masala until aromatic.
Add ghee.
Add chopped onions.
Add chick peas, stir a bit...
Add tomatoes.
Simmer...

Protein filled and tasty.
Couldn't be easier.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:18 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,341,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
I like lentils, aka The Poor Man's Meat. They make a dandy non-meat-loaf.
Can you post the recipe?

Old 09-15-2013, 11:32 AM

77,771 posts, read 105,085,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
Besides eggplant, what is another tasty veggie substitute for meat

Eggplant Parmesan is to Chicken Parm as . . . . . . . .

and what would the recipe be?
funny how we all think differently, I think eggplant is one of the most tasteless veggies there is. In fact it is one of the few veggies I will not touch and I love vegetables. I would have to put beans, all kinds or almost all kinds at the top of my list for meat substitutes. Of course mushrooms are another and some squashes..

Old 09-15-2013, 11:41 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,177,760 times
I have used zucchini and even squash in Parmesan in place of eggplant. Very, very good.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:04 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,200,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatswanlady View Post
I'm not vegetarian anymore, but I still make my favorite vegetarian tacos -- chickpeas simmered in taco seasoning, and mashed a little (not a lot) to prevent them from rolling out of the taco. Lentils also taste great here, but the chickpeas really soak up the taco seasoning and taste wonderful. You can make your own taco seasoning, but will I be booed out of the forums if I admit to liking the pre-made, sodium filled pouch of deliciousness? Because I really, really do...

Cauliflower buffalo wings are another favorite -- this is a good one, but there are tons of others on the internet.
WOW those look good, and easy too!

I'm not vegetarian although I eat primarily veggie meals and and have done so for years. Plus when I was younger I went about eight years not eating meat at all. So I don't really see the need for anything to be a "substitute" for meat. IMHO vegetables and legumes can stand alone as the centerpiece of a meal.

Any sort of beans paired maybe with a little potato and egg mashed up makes excellent "burgers." Recipes all over the internet for bean burgers.

I love Indian cooking too, and if you incorporate rice, beans, lentils or naan bread - or starchy vegetables - with spicy vegetables or greens you've got your bulk, protein and carbs taken care of.

In winter, roasted winter vegetables (beets, sweet potatoes, turnips, carrots, parsnips etc) are extremely hearty. Just slice into chunks, coat with olive oil and your choice of seasonings, and roast for 20-40 minutes until tender.

I've tried really hard to like eggplant, even growing my own and buying colorful miniature "gourmet" ones, but cannot seem to fall in love with them no matter what I do.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:18 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,177,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
funny how we all think differently, I think eggplant is one of the most tasteless veggies there is. In fact it is one of the few veggies I will not touch and I love vegetables. I would have to put beans, all kinds or almost all kinds at the top of my list for meat substitutes. Of course mushrooms are another and some squashes..
LOL, I completely get what you are saying here. To me that is the beauty of eggplant. It will take the flavor of whatever it is that you are adding to it. I really don't mind fried eggplant with salt and pepper but eggplant is a good filler in any recipe.

The buffalo wing cauliflower really looks good. I will definitely try this though I'm trying to imagine the pairing of bleu cheese with it.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:55 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,802,406 times
Vegetarian haggis in place of meatloaf!

Wheat meat instead of cutlets!

Old 09-19-2013, 10:13 PM

934 posts, read 1,133,092 times
Mushrooms. Crimini will do. Portabellas are giant criminis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food