Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 04:13 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,238,543 times

Advertisements

Alright, so here's the deal, I'm 22, been a vegitarian my whole life. My parents made the decision baised on the health benefits. I pretty much feel left out at every BBQ (but that's a thread for another day). This time I'm just asking for some great meal ideas. Basically most of my dinners consist of something to do with beans or pasta, it fills me up, and I do enjoy it, just kind of getting tired of it. The thing is, I do eat some dairy products, like ice cream, but not cheese. Weird right? I know. So any good ideas for healthy filling meals? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 12:22 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,431,133 times
Mix it up with all kinds of spices, different whole grains, tempeh, fresh fruits and veggies, etc. I usually only eat pasta once or twice a week, not because I have some sort of anti-pasta rule, but because there are so many other great meals to make that I run out of days of the week. Find a good cookbook (my current favorite is Therapeutic Chef) and you'll never be bored with vegetarian dining again.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:35 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,754,604 times
stir fry vegetables & serve over brown rice with soy sauce

get "nigari" tofu which will fry crisp- you can even slice it, fry it & eat it in a whole wheat bun like a burger with onions, tomatoes, lettuce, mustard

For the occasional BBQ, take a nature burger or 2 along or tofu hot dogs

get a crock pot & start making split pea or lentil soups- lots of easy recipes on internet

Make big tossed mixed green salads with canned garbanzo beans, avocado, tomatoes, etc.

Try tempura vegetables- it's easier than it sounds- serve with brown rice

Old 01-03-2010, 04:31 PM

239 posts, read 711,468 times
I've been a non-meat-eater for years and have been quite bored lately myself (pasta especially). I have been trying a few more of the fake meats, Quorn brand chicken and turkey is good, had it last night with a baked potato and some veggies.
Check out recipes on delish.com, or grab a Vegetarian Times magazine and see if you can find some yummy looking recipes.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:04 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,371,543 times
There are many options, it's just a matter of spending the time to learn to make these foods (or just buy them). Indian, Asian, Greek, Ethiopian, Italian (you can substitute cheese for something else), etc... As the other posts say, look up some cookbooks or magazines.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:05 AM

1,848 posts, read 4,685,020 times
One of my favorite, filling vegan meals right now is "saucy garbanzo beans and veggies over mashed potatoes"

Sauteed spinach, onions, zucchini, carrots, garlic with olive oil and a bit of red sauce, add garbanzo beans - cook through. Serve hot over the mashed potatoes.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:05 AM

1,767 posts, read 2,349,328 times
I like to have this from time to time...
a variation of southern fried potatoes.
I add carrots for a sweeter taste.

Slice two to three medium size potatoes
about one-fourth inch thick.

Slice three medium carrots a little thinner...
about one-eighth inch.

Slice a small onion... or use dehydrated.

Put slices of veggies into a large frying pan
with some olive oil.

I also add a little water - about one-eighth cup.

Add spices to taste... salt pepper, etc

Cover frying pan with lid... cook on medium heat
stirring occasionally so the veggies don't stick.

Once the pan is heated up and the veggies begin
to fry... reduce heat just a little and cook until
the veggies are tender... stirring occasionally.

Total cooking time is about 15-20 minutes.

Yummm... it is sooo good.

~

Old 01-13-2010, 02:12 PM

3 posts, read 6,967 times
I've been really into soups lately - it's winter and cold and they're delicious (and I got tired of only eating minestrone). My current favorites are:

Corn chowder (if you still drink milk) - Cooks.com - Recipe - Corn Chowder

Ramen with veggies (I usually use onion, frozen spinach, egg, and mushrooms) - Egg and Mushroom Ramen

Old 01-13-2010, 09:40 PM

375 posts, read 912,996 times
I love leek & potato too, yum.

Portabella mushroom sandwiches are great for BBQ's as well, just plan ahead of time.

I am with everyone else about trying to stay off pasta lately, my feeling is that it doesn't have as many nutrients as so many other foods that it is empty calories in many ways.

One of the coolest aspects of being a veggie is having to be creative and come up with your own ideas to make food that works for you. I think we are often frustrated artists sometimes in that respect, lol! So think about the types of things you like to eat and be creative!

Try all those grains you haven't used a lot -- quinoa, couscous, barley, etc.

Make paninis with veggies -- like an artichoke/roasted red pepper panini w/sundried tomatoes, and couscous on the side (5 -10 min to make). YUM!

Good luck!

Old 01-14-2010, 05:31 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,754,604 times
I use soymilk in my chowder & other cream soups, like cream of leek, and they turn out great. So that's another option for soups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food