Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 07:26 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,406,647 times

Advertisements

I don't know what gluten is, but I hope that it doesn't mean cat in Vietnamese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 08:52 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,533,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Vice View Post
Will you marry me? LOL. Just kidding.
I would, baby!! I love Miami, Florida...Hahaha!!!

Old 05-25-2007, 01:55 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,320,665 times
It's easy to be vegetarian because i don't have any meat cravings like all of you.
Although my thing is cheese. I have a hard time giving that up, it comes in so many flavors and is so versatile, Yet it's loaded with saturated fat. Being a strict vegetarian means no cheese.
As for the meats, there are plenty of meat substitutes that taste eerily like the real thing.

Old 05-25-2007, 06:00 AM

19,972 posts, read 30,295,753 times
i couldnt be a bark-eating vegetarian either... the three strict, vegetarians i know personally,,,all smoke cigarretees..wtf?? and they preach to me,,the burgers are going to kill me, two of the vegetarians,,,always look sick,,pasty white skin,,hair falling out,,frail,, they look 20 years older than they are,,,the other one looks healthy,,but she eats chicken and fish,,and still considers herself a strict vegetarian??

i personally like ,,grilled thick porterhouse or rib eye steak, lobsters, venison, burgers, pork ribs,,,,,,im drooling on the key-board now.!
i guess im the opposite of a vegetarian. i have a bumper-sticker, I SUPPORT P.E.T.A. (people eating tasty animals)

Old 05-25-2007, 11:15 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,533,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
i couldnt be a bark-eating vegetarian either... the three strict, vegetarians i know personally,,,all smoke cigarretees..wtf?? and they preach to me,,the burgers are going to kill me, two of the vegetarians,,,always look sick,,pasty white skin,,hair falling out,,frail,, they look 20 years older than they are,,,the other one looks healthy,,but she eats chicken and fish,,and still considers herself a strict vegetarian??

i personally like ,,grilled thick porterhouse or rib eye steak, lobsters, venison, burgers, pork ribs,,,,,,im drooling on the key-board now.!
i guess im the opposite of a vegetarian. i have a bumper-sticker, I SUPPORT P.E.T.A. (people eating tasty animals)
I notice that too, with many vegetarians. Their hair is thinning out, their skin is a little pasty and frail looking, and most look like a starving Ethiopian (too damn thin)...Just my opinion.

Old 05-25-2007, 12:43 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,906,987 times
Consider, however, that nearly all of India are vegtarians and they don't have problems with it at all. The key, just as with any meal, is getting the proteins your body needs to function.

Too many people jump on the vegetarian bandwagon without realizing that it's essential to eat those foods, mostly legumes, that will provide the amino acids and proteins that omnivores would find in nearly any meat. To be a vegetarian requires a little work, not just stuffing your face with any vegetable that suits you.

Cooking methods are equally important. Here in the west we tend to over boil or otherwise overcook our vegetables so they lose their nutrient value. In the east where steaming and stir fry predominate, this is much less of an issue because those cooking methods best preserve the nutrients of the food. For example, carrots when eaten raw don't have much nutritional value because the body can't break down the cellulose that contains the nutrients in the carrots. Properly steaming, stir frying, or even careful boiling of the carrot breaks down the cellulose allowing the body to extract the most nutritive value. It's not just carrots either, many vegetables are like this.

It's a shame that so many people don't know how to prepare nutritive meals, assuming that if it nutritive then it must taste like paste. It annoys me no end that schools teach nutrition in the dullest, most tired, most uninspiring manner when really it can be quite fun.

Yes we should all wear orthopedic shoes but you don't find orthopedic shoe stores on Fifth Avenue. Same with nutrition. Taught with an eye to making great meals and it can be a greal deal of fun.

Old 05-26-2007, 04:08 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,320,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

If someone is eating chicken or fish, they are not a vegetarian. They can say it all they like, but it doesn't make it so. Adding smoking to the mix, right there, all those chemicals in their lungs. That alone will make a person sickly looking. And if they just munch on twinkies, chips and a piece of lettuce now and then, that is not healthy.

A vegetarian as long as they are eating from all their food groups, and exercising, never look white and pasty, they always look like they are glowing. They look like the epitome of health. Their skin glows, their hair is shiny. They are the perfect weight.

Old 05-26-2007, 04:25 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,753,499 times
I've been a vegetarian for almost 12 years now. Trust me, those carnivorous cravings go away after you've been a vegetarian for a while. I couldn't imagine eating flesh now... never crosses my mind, at least not where it seems absolutely disgusting.

Old 05-26-2007, 06:21 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,075,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Els View Post
Consider, however, that nearly all of India are vegtarians and they don't have problems with it at all. The key, just as with any meal, is getting the proteins your body needs to function.

Too many people jump on the vegetarian bandwagon without realizing that it's essential to eat those foods, mostly legumes, that will provide the amino acids and proteins that omnivores would find in nearly any meat. To be a vegetarian requires a little work, not just stuffing your face with any vegetable that suits you.

Cooking methods are equally important. Here in the west we tend to over boil or otherwise overcook our vegetables so they lose their nutrient value. In the east where steaming and stir fry predominate, this is much less of an issue because those cooking methods best preserve the nutrients of the food. For example, carrots when eaten raw don't have much nutritional value because the body can't break down the cellulose that contains the nutrients in the carrots. Properly steaming, stir frying, or even careful boiling of the carrot breaks down the cellulose allowing the body to extract the most nutritive value. It's not just carrots either, many vegetables are like this.

It's a shame that so many people don't know how to prepare nutritive meals, assuming that if it nutritive then it must taste like paste. It annoys me no end that schools teach nutrition in the dullest, most tired, most uninspiring manner when really it can be quite fun.

Yes we should all wear orthopedic shoes but you don't find orthopedic shoe stores on Fifth Avenue. Same with nutrition. Taught with an eye to making great meals and it can be a greal deal of fun.
I completely agree with you - great points! Yesterday I ate at a local restaurant that offers 5 different vegetarian dishes each day - the food is so flavorful and perfectly cooked and presented - the chicken was made from gluten (wheat) and had the taste and mouth feel of chicken - the vegetables were incredible along with the appetizers (vegetarian spring rolls and peanut dipping sauce)...and to think there are poor fools out there having Taco Bell instead

Old 05-26-2007, 07:30 AM

769 posts, read 2,222,795 times
I alway have to laugh when people ask "what do vegetarians eat". My daughter and I are both vegetarians, and I am trying to organize what I have in the fridge so that I can at least use up the perishable stuff before I leave on holiday. There are a ton of alternatives out there to meat - I think the reaons a lot of people don't like the "vegetarian meats" is that they are expecting them to taste like meat. And however similar they are, they are not meat. Just think of it as a new food. And speaking of new foods, there are soooo many recipes out there that don't have meat - and from lots of different cultures. Right now we're trying a bunch of recipes we found on a Jewish recipe website - YUM!!!

Oh, and what do we eat for Thanksgiving and Christmas? Stuffing, mashed potatoes, candied yams, rolls, fruit salad, cranberry sauce, peas, green bean cassarole, pumpkin pie, pecan pie...... I have no trouble filling myself up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food