Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 02:12 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,761,515 times

Advertisements

Personally I think the Pacific View Mall, Simi Valley Town Center, and The Oaks Mall. Enclosed malls are getting outdated and too high end. I'd like to see them go away period, but if anything I'd like to see them redone as outdoor malls with more focus on dining and entertainment. The Collection At Riverpark is a new role model in malls.

I feel that Macy's, Sear's, and JcPenney's are getting outdated. People are rather going to shop low-end (Kohl's, BCF, Target, Marshall's, TJ'Maxx, factory outlet stores) or high-end (designer clothing stores, boutiques, high-end department stores like Nordstrom's and Neiman Marcus and Bloomingdale's).

I think once JcP and Sear's close, it will leave gaps in malls that can't be replaced. In Thousand Oaks, there is a chance a Forever 21 department store could replace Sear's. Ventura, losing JCP and Sear's would be unavoidable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 05:12 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
When were you last at The Oaks Mall? It expanded 5 years ago and now at least 1/3 of it is outdoors. It has a cutting-edge Muvico theater with 14 screens, and 8 restaurants surround it or are in the mall (not even counting the food court).
Macy's is the country's largest department store, not in danger of closing. There is a Nordstrom's in the mall, too. Yes, people want high-end. The Oaks is high-end. BTW Sears is not, nor has it ever been, in the Oaks mall.

Funny, but it's Janss Mall in T.O.--an outdoor mall--that has a lot of unrented stores. And all of the successful malls in LA and the Valley are indoors. I've been to the outdoor Camarillo Outlet Mall on a hot summer day. It's wilting.

Pacific View is tired, bad parking, needs a remodel and higher-end stores. I do agree about closing Simi Town Center, it's a loser.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
When were you last at The Oaks Mall? It expanded 5 years ago and now at least 1/3 of it is outdoors. It has a cutting-edge Muvico theater with 14 screens, and 8 restaurants surround it or are in the mall (not even counting the food court).
Macy's is the country's largest department store, not in danger of closing. There is a Nordstrom's in the mall, too. Yes, people want high-end. The Oaks is high-end. BTW Sears is not, nor has it ever been, in the Oaks mall.

Funny, but it's Janss Mall in T.O.--an outdoor mall--that has a lot of unrented stores. And all of the successful malls in LA and the Valley are indoors. I've been to the outdoor Camarillo Outlet Mall on a hot summer day. It's wilting.

Pacific View is tired, bad parking, needs a remodel and higher-end stores. I do agree about closing Simi Town Center, it's a loser.
Camarillo outlets are wilting? I havent been there in a while, but I found it hard to believe. I haven't been to the The Oaks Mall in a while, but I think it should be all outdoors.

I REALLY like the Janss Marketplace. I am going to stop by there tomorrow after my interview. It has pretty much all my favorite stores except Target.

The valley's malls doing well? There aren't many these days. Topanga Plaza, Northridge Fashion Center, and Sherman Oaks Galleria. There used to be more malls.

Last edited by the city; 07-27-2015 at 07:24 PM..

Old 07-27-2015, 07:37 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Janss - an oldie but a goodie. I've always liked it (both the old and new versions).

Old 07-27-2015, 07:37 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Camarillo outlets are wilting? I havent been there in a while, but I found it hard to believe. I haven't been to the The Oaks Mall in a while, but I think it should be all outdoors.

I REALLY like the Janss Marketplace. I am going to stop by there tomorrow after my interview. It has pretty much all my favorite stores except Target.

The valley's mall doing well? There aren't many these days. Topanga Plaza, Northridge Fashion Center, and Sherman Oaks Galleria. There used to be more malls.
By wilting I meant me, from the blazing sun! Outdoor malls in cooler Ventura and Oxnard may be nice, but the rest of Ventura County gets hot.

I really like Janss, too. I shop there frequently. The stores are uncrowded and ones I like and the movies are rarely crowded and are low-priced. But there are a lot of stores for rent.

Northridge mall is so-so, but has Burlington and a few other big stores. The Galleria hasn't sold clothing in a long time, at least 10 years ago it turned into only restaurants, movies and offices. What other malls are no longer in the Valley? I can't think of any that have closed.

Westfield Fashion Square on Riverside Dr. in Sherman Oaks is high-end and does very well. There is also Westfield on Topanga (different from Topanga Plaza, which BTW is now super-huge, gorgeous and high-end). Every time I go to these they are crowded, including weekdays. The malls in LA like the Beverly Center and Westside Pavillion aren't hurting, either.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:38 PM

1,156 posts, read 941,458 times
Oaks Mall is nice, but seriously what's so great about outdoor sections? It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter and is generally one of the things people hate about Simi Town Center (back when it had a full contingent of real stores). Topanga is a decent mall, though the Lamborghini store has closed, that appears to be doing well. As mentioned, Janss is outdoors and not doing well either.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:35 PM

Quote:
By wilting I meant me, from the blazing sun! Outdoor malls in cooler Ventura and Oxnard may be nice, but the rest of Ventura County gets hot.

I really like Janss, too. I shop there frequently. The stores are uncrowded and ones I like and the movies are rarely crowded and are low-priced. But there are a lot of stores for rent.

Northridge mall is so-so, but has Burlington and a few other big stores. The Galleria hasn't sold clothing in a long time, at least 10 years ago it turned into only restaurants, movies and offices. What other malls are no longer in the Valley? I can't think of any that have closed.

Westfield Fashion Square on Riverside Dr. in Sherman Oaks is high-end and does very well. There is also Westfield on Topanga (different from Topanga Plaza, which BTW is now super-huge, gorgeous and high-end). Every time I go to these they are crowded, including weekdays. The malls in LA like the Beverly Center and Westside Pavillion aren't hurting, either.
panorama city mall doesnt really act like a normal mall anymore and there was the fallbrook mall. i forgot the name of the mall that sherman oaks galleria has that's enclosed, so i guess its the one you mentioned. just because LA has a bunch of enclosed malls w/ sears, macy's, and JCP doesn't mean i think it's good they do.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:27 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Quote:

I'm trying to remember which of the Topanga malls it was, maybe the Plaza, not sure. In any case, it was quite good. I appreciated not having to pay for parking (try that at The Grove for example ... it's paid parking). I sure hope they have not started to charge.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:46 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,700,812 times
It would be nice if the Pacific View mall could be renovated, but I doubt that's ever going to happen. It's suitable to Ventura's current state. I wonder if there's enough business down there to justify an update or major renovation?

The Collection looks nice, but the stores are clearly struggling. People go to walk around and eat, but I never see anyone carrying a shopping bag there.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
It would be nice if the Pacific View mall could be renovated, but I doubt that's ever going to happen. It's suitable to Ventura's current state. I wonder if there's enough business down there to justify an update or major renovation?

The Collection looks nice, but the stores are clearly struggling. People go to walk around and eat, but I never see anyone carrying a shopping bag there.
the collection small stores must be doing well because they are adding more clothing stores.

i think janss isn't doing well bc it's more geared for middle class shoppers and the oaks mall is more geared towards the suburban mom and working women with lots of extra cash. i didnt realize there were so many suburban moms in the area who spent lots of cash on clothes, but i saw them with my own eyes at the janss marketplace.

i think thousand oaks is having a hard time sustaining two malls.

oxnard has 200,000 population and then there is port hueneme. enough population to support the collection. i just don't know if the ventura mall will make it when sear's and jcpenney's go. it would need nordstrom's and a forever 21 department store to move in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County