Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2011, 10:05 AM

1,549 posts, read 4,260,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NardForLife View Post
Let us also not forget Oxnard is a predominantly Hispanic (close to 70%) community. So somehow the neighboring cities which are primarily Caucasian associate this automatically with a 'blame it on the illegals' attitude. One only needs to look at an article of an Oxnard crime in the Ventura County Star online and read the comments. Some are outright disgusting and racist. But to be fair, these are only a very few people from neighboring Camarillo, T.O., etc. They are just as unavoidable as are the very few gangbangers or thugs who tarnish Oxnard's reputation.
Now, I don't have any 'illegal' statistics, but after living over 30 years in south Oxnard, I can say I've been crime free so far and loving it. I live harmoniously with my mostly Hispanic/Filipino neighbors and everyone here seems to have a mutual cultural respect for one another. I find especially the vast majority of Hispanics to be hardworking whether it's in the fields or in an office. It's always a pleasure to see a brand new Nissan or Lexus or Cadillac, even Audi on the streets or the lawn mowers on in the afternoon or people walking their dogs, cycling, and yes mothers with their kids in tow.
Of course it's not all peaches and creme. Unemployment is high and Oxnard is not for everyone, but the fact remains crime is much lower here than the nationwide average. A lot is to be credited to the Oxnard Police Department and to the Oxnard citizens themselves. Against many odds, it's a remarkable sight to watch our city keep growing....what I like to call the Oxnard juggernaut!!
That's why I only read the articles and pay no attention to the comments...I figure some people are just ignorant and have no life and all they can do is go to vcstar to "feel" important for the day...LOL..look at me....look what I did is the way I see some of those people.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 11:17 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,084,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKLO View Post
That's why I only read the articles and pay no attention to the comments...I figure some people are just ignorant and have no life and all they can do is go to vcstar to "feel" important for the day...LOL..look at me....look what I did is the way I see some of those people.
Oh, you're so right about that. I venture into the comments section of the VC Star once in a while, but am always depressed at the venom and vile I read there. It's shocking how angry and hateful some people are. Hide the mask with anonymity and it's nothing but putrid inside.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:34 AM

699 posts, read 1,345,787 times
A bit of an aside, but RE: VCStar comments, there were some quite recently related to a cyclist being killed in an accident that essentially said 'he got what he deserved.' Unbelievable. I think there is a handful of folks that influence the discussion on that path, and it is simply inhumane.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:53 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,084,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSky View Post
A bit of an aside, but RE: VCStar comments, there were some quite recently related to a cyclist being killed in an accident that essentially said 'he got what he deserved.' Unbelievable. I think there is a handful of folks that influence the discussion on that path, and it is simply inhumane.
That is so incredibly evil! We must hope that these individuals are, indeed, a mere "handful."

Old 04-04-2011, 12:42 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,260,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSky View Post
Those people are the idiots...I can't believe someone would have the gall to say that and I am shocked the moderators don't do a better job of deleting such nonsense.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:57 PM

36 posts, read 85,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKLO View Post
True that LadyKLO. I do the exact same thing after I started reading the VCStar. Ignore the ignorance. They have done a reasonable job though of removing 'offensive' comments.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:30 AM

234 posts, read 381,264 times
There hasn't been any murders in Oxnard so far this year. When was last time Oxnard could say that....

Old 03-26-2017, 09:36 PM

1 posts, read 792 times
I moved here to Oxnard from Tucson,Arizona in which Tucson is the worst city for crime in Arizona.I assumed Oxnard would be the same in crime being they are very similar cities with primarily Hispanic residents.I lived on the East Side of Tucson which is considered the safe side and gun shots rang out weekly. Ive been here in Oxnard two years and havent heard any gun shots it actually feels much safer here then Tucson.Im happy to be somewhere that us hispanics can get a long.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:06 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,372,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter flores View Post
I moved here to Oxnard from Tucson,Arizona in which Tucson is the worst city for crime in Arizona.I assumed Oxnard would be the same in crime being they are very similar cities with primarily Hispanic residents.I lived on the East Side of Tucson which is considered the safe side and gun shots rang out weekly. Ive been here in Oxnard two years and havent heard any gun shots it actually feels much safer here then Tucson.Im happy to be somewhere that us hispanics can get a long.
Welcome Peter to Oxnard. Not just Hispanics getting along with Hispanics. Multi races getting along as well. I am white and my wife is Mexican. You see a lot of mixing within the races and no one seems to have a problem with that. Some of our friends: Mexican guy and Korean girl, Mexican guy and Filipino girl, Black guy and Mexican girl, White guy and Black girl, White guy and Chinese girl. Korean guy and a girl from Peru. Just some of the couples that my wife and I are friends with all here in Oxnard.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:57 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,553,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NardForLife View Post
Let us also not forget Oxnard is a predominantly Hispanic (close to 70%) community. So somehow the neighboring cities which are primarily Caucasian associate this automatically with a 'blame it on the illegals' attitude. One only needs to look at an article of an Oxnard crime in the Ventura County Star online and read the comments. Some are outright disgusting and racist.
What these racist commenters against Hispanics probably don't understand is that the Hispanic community in Oxnard is up to 5th and 6th generation now and very few of them are "illegals".

These native-born, deeply-rooted Hispanics have more of a right to be in Oxnard, Ventura County and the state of California than the racist Midwesterners who are online making their hateful comments!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County