Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2011, 03:17 PM

7 posts, read 19,954 times

Advertisements

This is more difficult than to get a job.... finding an apartment that comes under good schooling. I am offered a job in Thousand Oaks. As TO is a more expensive place, I would rather drive about 10 mi for a cheaper rent (~$1500 for 2 BR?). Simi Valley is one that I heard.

I am looking to move into a more diverse community that has some sizeable Asian Indian population. Good school (elementary) is another criterion. please help with your opinions and experience. Thank you all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 03:25 PM

Again, this is a move from MD to CA. Sorry on my nick name. is 100K in that area considered middle or upper middle? Thanks.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:33 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDtoMD View Post
Again, this is a move from MD to CA. Sorry on my nick name. is 100K in that area considered middle or upper middle? Thanks.
If I were you (and I sort of am) I would start with schools then budget.

Work this:

School Performance Maps

The good thing is, there are hardly any "bad" schools in the Conejo Valley (from Calabasas to Newbury Park) or Moorpark. Simi may be unnecessarily far to drive - anything you can find in Simi you can probably find closer to TO.

As far as Asian Indian population, I didn't sense pockets of them in the Conejo Valley but there was a community of them sort of near Sherman Way and Topanga in Canoga Park. Indian Restaurants and that sort of thing.

There are a lot of computer tech companies in the Conejo Valley so I would assume there are quite a few Asian Indians around somewhere.

This is a great tool for finding rentals:

Apartments for Rent - PadMapper Apartment Search for Oodle, Apartments.com, Kijiji, and Craigslist Apartments

Old 04-07-2011, 04:46 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,485,947 times
Simi Valley isn't really that much cheaper than T.O. as far as rentals go. However, Wood Ranch is right at the border between T.O. and Simi Valley and the school for this area is supposed to be pretty good.

I'm not aware of a large Asian or Indian community in Simi Valley, but that doesn't mean one or two don't exist. One of my mother's best freinds was an Indian woman who lived here, so there are some here. Try contacting the local Chamber of Commerce, who might be able to offer more information Also, how about contacting this person on Facebook, who is Indian and lives in Simi Valley? //www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=609993809 It never hurts to contact those who are already in the community to get their ideas on how comfortable the area would be for you

Last edited by Cyanna; 04-07-2011 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 04-07-2011, 05:09 PM

29 posts, read 43,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Simi Valley isn't really that much cheaper than T.O. as far as rentals go. However, Wood Ranch is right at the border between T.O. and Simi Valley and the school for this area is supposed to be pretty good.

I'm not aware of a large Asian or Indian community in Simi Valley, but that doesn't mean one or two don't exist. One of my mother's best freinds was an Indian woman who lived here, so there are some here. Try contacting the local Chamber of Commerce, who might be able to offer more information Also, how about contacting this person on Facebook, who is Indian and lives in Simi Valley? Sandeep Kumar | Facebook It never hurts to contact those who are already in the community to get their ideas on how comfortable the area would be for you
There are actually a bunch that live in the apartment complex on Cochran just west of Erringer. They mostly work at Farmer's Insurance as software developers.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormbow View Post
There are actually a bunch that live in the apartment complex on Cochran just west of Erringer. They mostly work at Farmer's Insurance as software developers.
That must be Meadowood Apartments. My brother and his wife used to live there many years ago

Old 04-09-2011, 10:56 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Quote:
Just to note, the kids in the apartment complexes in Wood Ranch don't get to go to the Wood Ranch Elementary. The district made Country Club Dr the dividing line...Gotta love this country sometimes...

Anyhow if you want good schools up your budget to $1,600~$1,700 and move to Thousand Oaks.

Although there isn't a large Indian population in this area there is a large Hindu Temple in Calabasas that is a meeting point for the (Hindu) Indian community in this area (including San Fernando Valley):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malibu_Hindu_Temple

Old 04-09-2011, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Just to note, the kids in the apartment complexes in Wood Ranch don't get to go to the Wood Ranch Elementary. The district made Country Club Dr the dividing line...Gotta love this country sometimes...
I wonder if that was because, by law, Wood Ranch apartment complexes were forced to take in a percentage of low income families on the welfare/section 8 rolls? I do believe that as of February they no longer have to keep aside a percentage of apartments for low income.

[quote-user_id]Although there isn't a large Indian population in this area there is a large Hindu Temple in Calabasas that is a meeting point for the (Hindu) Indian community in this area (including San Fernando Valley):

Malibu Hindu Temple - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/quote]

There is also a Hindu Temple in Ventura...

Statues, ceremonies create county's first Hindu temple » Ventura County Star

Old 04-14-2011, 03:09 PM

Thanks to all of you who shared their knowledge and generously trying to help me out. thank you so much. I very much appreciate all of your information. what a lovely people you are!

Old 04-24-2011, 04:12 PM

865 posts, read 1,828,174 times
Quote:
I wonder if that was because, by law, Wood Ranch apartment complexes were forced to take in a percentage of low income families on the welfare/section 8 rolls? I do believe that as of February they no longer have to keep aside a percentage of apartments for low income.
They used to go to that elementary school, then it became overcrowded so they ousted them. They claimed to have chosen the apartments because it's a more transient population. I think it's a bit elitist myself, but whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County