Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 12:44 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
I've noticed those but couldn't tell if in the pictures it is gated. any idea?

thanks for the suggestions.

some of the Port H area does have some attractive options near/on the beach. Lots of owners seem to have remodled the kitches to make them more appealing.
The RiverPark area is not gated. Still not in an area that needs to be gated. They do offer garages as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 08:53 PM

191 posts, read 586,558 times
These are a great couple of threads, and it really all comes together on this post/thread:
Quote:
Believe me, I saw the whole town, a few times over.

Its actually really interesting. I'd like to dig a little deeper to really figure out what is going on there with the police and government. Because something is not right.
Oh, it needs a gate, if that stabbing that the OP reported is any guide. That was close to Riverpark, so... She's seen the area. She drove it multiple times, back and forth, upside down and inside out. She knows. And she's here to tell us about how terrible it really is. The stabbing, the rudeness, the timid LaQuinta manager, the thuggery, the drug use, the fights on the street, the apartment ratings, and now another voice validating - it's all adding up now. It's really weird because no one else sees it or talks about it (except a few, that mostly live in fear). And the cops are in on it, and the local government must be part of the problem too.

Classic.

Last edited by NickelDime; 05-02-2011 at 09:11 PM..

Old 05-03-2011, 12:42 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,344,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickelDime View Post
These are a great couple of threads, and it really all comes together on this post/thread:

Oh, it needs a gate, if that stabbing that the OP reported is any guide. That was close to Riverpark, so... She's seen the area. She drove it multiple times, back and forth, upside down and inside out. She knows. And she's here to tell us about how terrible it really is. The stabbing, the rudeness, the timid LaQuinta manager, the thuggery, the drug use, the fights on the street, the apartment ratings, and now another voice validating - it's all adding up now. It's really weird because no one else sees it or talks about it (except a few, that mostly live in fear). And the cops are in on it, and the local government must be part of the problem too.

Classic.
actually it was in Ventura. (believe it or not I can read maps and newspapers pretty well).

I'm starting to get a better idea of what is going on. The snobs in Ventura believe they are somehow isolated, while Oxnard still has the bad rep but is actually doing something about the gangs (who are now more dispersed due to the injuctions). This would explain a bit why Ventura seems to be going downhill unless they actually do something as well.

Oxnard probably is safer due to the fact the police are willing to admit there is actually a problem

Old 05-03-2011, 06:27 AM

I do remember doing some work years ago in Ventura's Hidden Valley. (There is Hidden Valley off of Potrero Road near Sherwood that is more well known. Ventura's Hidden Valley is located north of Foothill near Victoria Road.) (I guess it is not hidden anymore.) Anyway, back on track. The woman who lived in the home happened to be reading the paper. An article in the Star was mentioning the homeless problem down town. This lady had no clue that their was a homeless problem and she had spent many years living in Ventura. Led me to believe that many of the movers and shakers for Ventura and possibly other areas are insulated from the decay of society that happens in their own city. wealth has a way of doing that I guess. I am certain that the homeless population has no idea where to find Hidden Valley on a map. I am certain that this woman will never see any homeless in her part of Ventura nor will she travel downtown. That kind of thinking which is so outdated, keeps the myth alive that Oxnard is bad and Ventura is good. The truth is that both are doing fine. One chooses to see a problem and go after it. While the other handles the problems a differant way.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:53 AM

699 posts, read 1,344,917 times
Quote:
actually it was in Ventura. (believe it or not I can read maps and newspapers pretty well).

I'm starting to get a better idea of what is going on. The snobs in Ventura believe they are somehow isolated, while Oxnard still has the bad rep but is actually doing something about the gangs (who are now more dispersed due to the injuctions). This would explain a bit why Ventura seems to be going downhill unless they actually do something as well.

Oxnard probably is safer due to the fact the police are willing to admit there is actually a problem
You're both right. The stabbing was near the Carl's Jr in Ventura in Montalvo (Johnson Dr) about 1 block from the 101 freeway, a stones throw from Riverpark in Oxnard (here's a visual). The Santa Clara riverbed separates the two.

The OP continues to draw conclusions based on anecdotes. There is only one defensive person about Ventura she has encountered on the forum (me) and the other (Pedro2000) doesn't live here and has never lived here. And the smart alec that chimed in (NickelDime) is from Santa Clarita! So now there's a SNOB mentality based on a sample of ONE. Thank you for illustrating the point.

The best part is the violent crime rate has dropped year over year in the face of her "downhill slide" theory. Maybe the thugs (or the police?) have discovered pot.... the plot thickens...

Last edited by HSP1161; 05-03-2011 at 07:09 AM..

Old 05-03-2011, 07:16 AM

1,549 posts, read 4,257,905 times
I think most of you all know I live in Riverpark...been here more than 3 years...walk outside at night with no problems...even see ladies running for exercise at night alone...with no problems. I refuse to let fear KILL me. There is one neighborhood in Riverpark that is gated and it's just their parking that is gated.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:08 AM

OpenSky, you have been attacking my intelligence, making wild assumptions (I've been researching for some time now, and not just based on what you and a handful of people have said on my posts here, there are other sources). Really, you are coming across as defensive and a snob (really, attacking my student loans and debt? sorry I wasn't born with a silver spoon but went on to earn a Master's and make a productive career and I'm still working on the savings...at least I contribute to socieity). Ventura has newspapers, Los Angeles has newspapers. It is NOT hard to find evidence of gang problems there. Guess what? Most of ther est of the country does NOT have gang problems. I didn't even experience that in San Antonio and I was there for 2 years. Take off your blinders. Your area has an issue, that doesn't make it a horrible place, it doesn't mean people should not move there. But please, save the personal insults for someone who might actually believe you. Taking digs at my judgement does not make Ventura gang-free.

It's really incredibly rude.

Thanks for the useful informatin LadyKLO.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:49 AM

Were talking about a stabbing that happened at or near the Carls Jr in Montalvo just off of the Johnson Drive exit and that is being used as a representation of the Ventura Oxnard area? Wow amazing. You could easily stick that same area in the middle of the dessert and have a similar situation.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:50 AM

1,549 posts, read 4,257,905 times
Someone just sent this to me....Camarillo in the news for coke bust..

Two arrested after Camarillo cocaine investigation » Ventura County Star

Old 05-03-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Were talking about a stabbing that happened at or near the Carls Jr in Montalvo just off of the Johnson Drive exit and that is being used as a representation of the Ventura Oxnard area? Wow amazing. You could easily stick that same area in the middle of the dessert and have a similar situation.
do you all seriously want to cut and paste every crime that has happened in the last year?

No, I'm not basing my impression on one incident I happened to read about the day after I left. But it sure didn't shock me. It would shock me in other places I've lived, including Spokane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County