Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2012, 08:04 PM

299 posts, read 1,153,362 times

Advertisements

Just checking in to see how you guys & gals feel about our Quality of Life/Cost of Living in VC would be at this point in time. I have posted similar posts in the past but think it's time for an update.

We, a family of four adults, will be moving to Ventura County in mid 2014 after the young ones graduate from college, hopefully, here in the Philippines with their BS and PharmD degrees.

At first all of us will be 100% on my dime, later the kids will most likely shed the nest for more..... FUN accommodations. However, they were brought up Filipino style, love it, which means they just might take their time. Which we would prefer and for as long as they want.

I'm retired military, disabled vet and draw social security with a monthly after tax income of approx $5k, wife a stay at home... home manager. The kids will look for employment upon arrival until they can pass the CA BOP Licensure Test and secure employment in that field. We want to rent for about the first year. Looking for a 3+br, 2+ba, garage house/condo/apt in preferably in Camarillo, but Oxnard or Ventura is AOK. We will have no bills starting off with and will do our best to minimize incurring them.

If anyone, could provide some 'guestimations' on: Rent / Utilities / Phones & Internet / Food / Car Ins / Renters Ins and any other cost OR just opinions.

BTW user_id PLEASE DON'T REPLY as you have nothing to say that I would be interested in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 02:38 PM

168 posts, read 549,444 times
To rent a house 3brm+ with garage in a decent neighborhood in Camarillo/Oxnard/Ventura area will be $2000 a month in this current economy.

Utilities: If you are a frugal family. Trash water sewage: $120. Phone Internet TV: $130. Food $500 plenty for the whole family since you guys sound like you know how to cook. Car Insurance depends on driving record and driving history and age/value of the car so you have to get a quote but per car is going to be at least $80. Renters insurance may run $60 a month.

One of my friend is from the Phillipines and he has been here for 3 years. His net income is $1500 a month, he has a studio apartment for $800 a month. His wife doesnt work and is a full time nursing student soon to graduate in September. They have a 7 year old boy and 3 year old girl. They are a very frugal family and if you guys are anything like them you will be just fine on a $5000 net income budget.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24hr7 View Post
To rent a house 3brm+ with garage in a decent neighborhood in Camarillo/Oxnard/Ventura area will be $2000 a month in this current economy.

Utilities: If you are a frugal family. Trash water sewage: $120. Phone Internet TV: $130. Food $500 plenty for the whole family since you guys sound like you know how to cook. Car Insurance depends on driving record and driving history and age/value of the car so you have to get a quote but per car is going to be at least $80. Renters insurance may run $60 a month.

One of my friend is from the Phillipines and he has been here for 3 years. His net income is $1500 a month, he has a studio apartment for $800 a month. His wife doesnt work and is a full time nursing student soon to graduate in September. They have a 7 year old boy and 3 year old girl. They are a very frugal family and if you guys are anything like them you will be just fine on a $5000 net income budget.
24hr7, thank you very much for the information/opinion. Please pass on to your Filipino friends a warm "Hi from the Philippines". I do love it here but can't wait to get back to the USofA, especially Ventura County, either.

Should you or anyone know of a POC regarding jobs for Pharmacists, would greatly appreciate it.

Again, thank you very much.

jOE

Old 01-20-2012, 03:52 AM

168 posts, read 549,444 times
when you come to the states send me a message and I will pass your contact information along to my friends. Her aunt is head of nursing for a hospital in Los Angeles and by the time you get here, my friend is probably already a nurse. They will definitely hook you up or at least point your family in the right direction. Don't worry they are extremely nice people and always very helpful.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24hr7 View Post
when you come to the states send me a message and I will pass your contact information along to my friends. Her aunt is head of nursing for a hospital in Los Angeles and by the time you get here, my friend is probably already a nurse. They will definitely hook you up or at least point your family in the right direction. Don't worry they are extremely nice people and always very helpful.
Thank you very much and I will certainly PM you shortly after arriving in Camarillo, probably the last week in June this year for a extended visit. Oh, I'm sure they are extremely nice people.... got the feeling you are also.

Again, thank you very much!

jOE
Angeles City
Philippines
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County