Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2012, 08:39 AM

2 posts, read 5,785 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to CA and have the option to live within a wide area as I am in a field based position. I would spent about 60% of my time working in North Hollywood, Beverly Hills & Glendale areas and the rest of the time in the San Fernando Valley. We have a child in middle school and are thus looking for a safe area with good schools that is somewhat affordable. We plan to rent initially and are considering the following areas based on what we can afford and the schools: Woodland Hills, Agoura Hills, Thousand Oaks. I would be traveling during prime rush hour, can anyone provide me a realistic estimate of how long my drive would be to the Hollywood/Beverly Hills & Glendale areas from WH, AH and TO. THanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 11:10 PM

699 posts, read 1,344,411 times
It will be terrible - hours on the road. My sincere advice is to look closely at Burbank. You'll be able to access 2 of those 3 areas with no trouble at all.

Be there for your child -- not on the road. It's brutal.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:11 PM

2 posts, read 5,785 times
Thanks very much for your reply, we were initially looking at Burbank but are having very had time fixing something in our price range

Old 06-11-2012, 12:22 PM

699 posts, read 1,344,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZtoLA View Post
Thanks very much for your reply, we were initially looking at Burbank but are having very had time fixing something in our price range
Given what you've shared, I suspect you will save hundreds of $$$ in gas and maintenance (not to mention time) by living in Burbank.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:38 PM

27 posts, read 88,298 times
I live in Camarillo which is about 10 minuted (highway time) from Thousand Oaks. My work territory is usually Ventura County, but recently I've been working in the SF Valley a lot and have even had some assignments in North Hollywood and Beverly Hills. I would say from TO to North Hollywood in prime traffic would be 1.5 hours or more. I also had an appointment recently in Beverly Hills, and it took me 1.5 hours to get there, and that was a 10:00 a.m. appointment!! I think there was an accident on the 405 which made traffic really bad that morning so I went a different way, but still, 1.5 hours...that's a long commute for every day.

I am not sure about the schools in Burbank, but I would look around there. It seems like the best location for your territory.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:14 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZtoLA View Post

If BUR is expensive, then La Crescenta and La Canada will probably be even worse but great schools there.

Problem with Conejo Valley is the 101 is about the only way east. PCH can be an option for early birds heading to the west side. Some folks can make the metrolink from Moorpark work too.

South Pasadena and Arcadia are in your driving ranges but expensive there too.

No simple solution.

Moorpark? Simi? Work the 118?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County