Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 07:39 PM

58 posts, read 190,326 times

Advertisements

Does anyone live ther or have friends living there? We have been to look at the homes, so we know about the amenities but also the increase in taxes. I hear people love living there though. Any input is appreciated! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 02:52 PM

1 posts, read 4,575 times
Hi Garden gal,

My wife and I currently rent a townhome in University Glen. We love it. It's a wonderful community and everyone is very friendly. The only negative is that it is a bit of a drive from town. This mainly become an annoyance for quick runs to the grocery store or running errands. Other than that, it's great!

Old 06-26-2012, 08:00 PM

Thank you Dorisjared. We have a little guy and really want neighbors and kids to become friends with. Do you find that people use the park, playgrounds,etc? When we were there it was very quiet because it was during the work day. Does it liven up in the evenings? Also, what hiking is near the area? It looks like there were some trails there. Any help is much appreciated.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:15 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,226,498 times
I rented an apartment there for a year and a half before moving to Texas. It was the best place I ever lived and I encourage anyone to give it a shot. You're a bit far from certain things, but it is a nice, unique, quiet community.

My wife and I rode our bikes and went for walks throughout the area. We loved it. One nice thing was that we could grab a bus for a dollar from campus to the old town area and go to JJ Brewski's or El Rey, have some drinks and not worry about driving back. We also really liked our apartment. We were lucky enough to get one that was by itself on the 3rd floor. No one to the left, right, or behind us. If life was different and we could have afforded it, we would have purchased a home there.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:21 PM

168 posts, read 549,499 times
I almost bought a place her but one BIG PROBLEM for me = LEASED LAND FROM STATE. 100 years lease with maybe 90 years left approximately, the value is uncertain if you try to unload this property 30 years from now given the uncertainly of land use. Otherwise if you like quiet and isolated feel then it is perfect. Very safe area cause campus police are active.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:16 PM

Thanks. I know about the land lease. It would be unlikely that I would be living there for a very long time, but long enough to make buying there make sense. It does bother me that there is a cap to how much you can sell a property for, but real estate is often not a money making endeavor but a roof over your head that builds equity. That is good to know about the bus. I will be working in a rough area, so it seems like a quiet retreat. Does anyone know what elementary school kids go to if you live in U Glenn?

Old 07-01-2012, 07:46 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,829,678 times
Sorry to ask a question on your post but at University Glen apartments and townhomes is it filled with college kids? I felt like it would be and a lot of noise? Also do you hear trains or is this in the flight path? I know trains and the airport are an issue in Camarillo
Thank you and good luck Gardengal in your choice.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
Sorry to ask a question on your post but at University Glen apartments and townhomes is it filled with college kids? I felt like it would be and a lot of noise? Also do you hear trains or is this in the flight path? I know trains and the airport are an issue in Camarillo
Thank you and good luck Gardengal in your choice.
No and No.I don't believe that students are able to lease in U.Glenn. The dorms are clear on the other side of campus. The only planes I heard were the model planes they fly in the field out by scary dairy. I don't recall hearing the trains much.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:00 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,829,678 times
Thank you for your quick response. For some reason I thought that the apartments would be filled with the students and parties. Is the train near and you got used to it or it is far enough you don't hear it?

Old 07-01-2012, 11:36 AM

I don't remember how far the train was but the complex in Simi we lived at before was literally next door to the train station. So, I honestly cannot remember significant train nose in U.Glenn.

The apartments are too expensive for students. I'm pretty sure when we moved there in 2008 students were not allowed to rent there.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County