Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2006, 05:27 PM

41 posts, read 247,331 times

Advertisements

I grew up here in south orange county and can't stand it anymore. same ol' same ol'. Only now it's expensive to boot. Lived in Laguna for years and it was fun to play there but now I have a 2 yr old and I love staying home with her. I want a nice house that I can afford, a population close by that will hire me to paint furniture and interior faux finishes (its what I do). Looking into santa barbara (a bigger, and just as expensive laguna), SLO was nice, but do they decorate? Santa Maria has a large population and rents are cheap, but nobody seems to have anything nice to say about it.We need a safe , clean place to grow my baby up. Anybody got any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2006, 12:51 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,079,529 times
Default Go way north

Not sure you'll find "it" in Camarillo, either. It's sleepy and quite expensive. The ongoing buildup of the University (CSUCI) and accompanying development might change the sleepiness, but I doubt it'll make it any cheaper.

You could probably find a market for your trade in Montecito or other areas around Santa Barbara, but the commute there from Ventura County is grueling. With the exception of a shrinking middle-class who bought houses 10, 20, 30 years back, Santa Barbara County's south coast has long ago reached third-world standards -- a minority super rich and everyone else servicing them. Anyone who doesn't want to live in such circumstances choose to live elsewhere and commute to jobs and clients in SB, i.e. Santa Maria (75 miles), Lompoc (45 miles) or Ventura County (35+ miles). Join the crowd?

It might be possible for you to make it in SLO, but you must be prepared for a far slower economy there than you're used to in south Orange County. SLO can be pricy, too.

It sounds to me like you'd be better off looking into smaller art-oriented areas in Northern California. Ever heard of Arcata? It's near Eureka. http://www.arcatacityhall.org

Last edited by Winston Smith; 12-24-2006 at 01:15 PM.. Reason: add SLO detail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County