Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 10:53 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellwello View Post
From my experiences, the older white retired population seemed to give me more of the uncomfortable looks and prolonged stares, similar to the looks Marty mcfly gets when he travels back in time.
So your evidence of racism in Thousand Oaks is that some older white people have given you "uncomfortable looks and prolonged stares"? How do you know the stares are due to your race and not another factor? Like I've been saying, if you believe that old white people are "racist, homophobic and sexist" you're going to interpret everything they do as an act of bigotry even when its not.

Quote:
I also applied for numerous jobs (at least 10) in thousand oaks during high school and never got one. The one time I applied at a Kohl's in Ventura, I got an immediate interview.
What are you trying to say here? That you weren't hired because your race? There are around 22,000 Hispanics in Thousand Oaks and they've managed to find work. Furthermore, Ventura and Thousand Oaks have almost the same number of white people (78% vs 80%) so your chances of experiencing an "older white person" is roughly the same.

Quote:
The only thing I ask is if user id would acknowledge this issue absolutely exists and TO is not some utopia.
What issue exists? That there are some racist individuals in Thousand Oaks? Of course there are and, as you're demonstrating, its not isolated to old white people. But I'm not going to acknowledge that Thousand Oaks has a problem with racism in relation to other Southern Californian cities, despite your personal anecdotes of "uncomfortable looks" there is no evidence of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 12:34 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,420,583 times
I'm not sure if I can make a useful response to this. I guess by some people's standards, I'm just another old white guy. Even worse (for some people), I'm from Texas.

But, maybe contrary to what people would expect from those attributes, I very much enjoy being around hispanic/latino people. To be honest, I kinda feel well informed by being well connected to people in Mexico that I respect and love.

Anyway, I guess the idea I want to get across is that no one should be (or feel) intimidated by old white people. We are all human beings, and if it makes you feel better, you can rest assured that you can dance on our graves at some point in the not too distant future :-)

Old 06-30-2012, 10:20 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,920 times
If you can afford to live there, Thousand Oaks is a very nice city to live in; clean, quiet, very safe, and the schools are terrific.

I also wouldn't judge a city based on the presence of certain retailers, or lack of them.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:58 PM

2,020 posts, read 3,194,915 times
I grew up in Thousand Oaks and lived there for 36 years before moving to the Midwest in 1994. It was a wonderful place to grow up. If the traffic and cost of living wasn't so high, I would love to move back. My mom still lives in the same house in TO for 50 years.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:49 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,420,583 times
I'm starting to think about retirement and my sister in the LA South Bay area has been suggesting i settle somewhere in Socal. So, its useful for me to read these threads and see what people think about the different cities in that area.

I've heard good things about TO, tho' I wonder whether I'd like being close to the coast, even if it's more expensive. OTOH, Delwello's posts make me wonder if there would be other reasons I might not enjoy TO. I now live in Texas, a place which many people may say has flaws. Despite that, I would not want to relocate to a place where its common for spanish-surnamed people to feel a kind of apartheid.

Am I getting the wrong impression?

Old 07-07-2012, 10:14 AM

1,482 posts, read 5,174,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrone2k View Post
Am I getting the wrong impression?
Yes, most definitely.

Old 11-07-2018, 12:56 AM

276 posts, read 222,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrone2k View Post
I'm starting to think about retirement and my sister in the LA South Bay area has been suggesting i settle somewhere in Socal. So, its useful for me to read these threads and see what people think about the different cities in that area.

I've heard good things about TO, tho' I wonder whether I'd like being close to the coast, even if it's more expensive. OTOH, Delwello's posts make me wonder if there would be other reasons I might not enjoy TO. I now live in Texas, a place which many people may say has flaws. Despite that, I would not want to relocate to a place where its common for spanish-surnamed people to feel a kind of apartheid.
TO is the epitome of "white flight" planned suburban communities. That might be the only issue for a Latino heritage, but its a very safe community in general. Pretty "sleepy" though, without much entertainment nearby, its almost an hour drive to most parts of LA.

Old 11-08-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skygazer1 View Post
TO is the epitome of "white flight" planned suburban communities. That might be the only issue for a Latino heritage, but its a very safe community in general. Pretty "sleepy" though, without much entertainment nearby, its almost an hour drive to most parts of LA.
Well, what a weird timely comment wasn't it? Sadly, based upon the news of today, I may have to lower a notch my evaluation of Thousand Oaks

Old 11-08-2018, 07:45 PM

987 posts, read 779,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skygazer1 View Post
Well, what a weird timely comment wasn't it? Sadly, based upon the news of today, I may have to lower a notch my evaluation of Thousand Oaks
To each his own. I grew up in Agoura Hills, but I did have great experiences in TO as a teenager.

One isolated incident involving a PTSD Marine gone Postal should not epitomize the area. They guy should have been placed in a 5150 hold back in April of 2018, IMHO.

Old 11-08-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul359 View Post
One isolated incident involving a PTSD Marine gone Postal should not epitomize the area. They guy should have been placed in a 5150 hold back in April of 2018, IMHO.
This begs the question, why a maniac diagnosed PTSD, who the cops admit was acting incoherently, violently ranting and threatening people, should have been able to legally purchase guns?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County