Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 11:40 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,055,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bases loaded View Post
but trying to get a nice house for ~$450k doesn't have many options.
Here's a few:

634 Casabella Ct, Santa Paula, CA 93060 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

3677 Cochran St, Simi Valley, CA 93063 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

203 Via Del Prado, Santa Paula, CA 93060 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

short sale, negotiate down:2518 Winthrop Ct, Simi Valley, CA 93065 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 04:12 PM

20,770 posts, read 19,995,431 times
Do what I did when I moved to Ventura county. Rent an apartment, stay there for a few months and check out the area. Then start looking for a place to buy.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:14 AM

7 posts, read 21,322 times
Your suggestion seems like normally the best, oh-eve, and my wife and I are considering the 2 options closely, rent and buy later vs. buy right away. I went ahead and got a loan pre-approved just in case.

In our case our furniture will arrive about 6-8 weeks after we get there, so if we can find a place in the meantime we can avoid paying to move again some months later.

Also, we're finding most apartment complexes like Avalon are very small (under 1100 sq ft) and I think we will need above 1200 sq ft once our furniture arrives. That wouldn't be a problem if the apartments were convenient for short-term leases but many of them seem to charge much higher rates for 1-3 month leases. I'm calling them over the rest of this week to find out if any are reasonable on shorter leases, so if I find any good info I'll post it.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:55 AM

Thanks for those suggestions, we're checking those. I'm using the realtor site a lot now. One thing I've found is that realtor.com never has HOA price info, but I've found a similar site called redfin.com that does have the HOA fees listed. I expect it's not 100% accurate, but all I have to go on for now. Like all we're going to have to play some things on the fly - still don't know if we might want to live near the beach, say in Port Hueneme, which appears surprisingly possible or live more inland. Still a lot of things to learn and decide. The good thing is from the outside Ventura County seems to have a lot going for it and we're glad to have the chance to stay whichever city we wind up in.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:57 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,364,775 times
You may want to check out an extended stay place for a little bit, especially since your furniture won't be there. That would give you time to check out the area. Buying a place may not be the best move because you might find you like another area of the city or another city in the area.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:50 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,055,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
You may want to check out an extended stay place for a little bit, especially since your furniture won't be there. That would give you time to check out the area. Buying a place may not be the best move because you might find you like another area of the city or another city in the area.
There's one in Simi:Los Angeles - Simi Valley Hotel | Extended Stay America

Old 05-12-2016, 10:23 PM

Wow, excellent, that's what we need, you're right. I currently had reserved a room at Best Western Oxnard for a week because they accept my little dog and I'll be working at Port Hueneme. I originally thought Simi Valley would be too far away but from what I heard it will work for a month - maybe 1 hour? I was looking at ExecuStay which offers "corporate apartments" in Oxnard - it seems like you just end up in a regular apartment that is furnished but they're site is vague on details and I guess it's much more expensive. You have to contact each apartment to get the details which is a lot of work. Thanks very much for the ideas.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:12 PM

126 posts, read 219,488 times
Hi,

My wife and I bought a house in Riverpark this past March, and our HOA is a total of $89 per month. We'd purchased a single family house (4 bedroom, 3 bathroom). There are actually hundreds of single family homes in Riverpark, not just condos and town houses.

Riverpark is a very nice area to live in. Is it perfect? No, but the area is very clean, walkable with people out and about, enjoying the outdoors. The Collection, as already mentioned, is a great place to go for dining, shopping, etc. More restaurants, shops are coming into the Collection, as well as two hotels. There's another school being built within Riverpark soon, which will make 3 schools within the community.

My family and I truly enjoy our home, community and way of life that Riverpark provides. I think you would love it here too.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:56 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,364,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjwhite75 View Post
Hi,

My wife and I bought a house in Riverpark this past March, and our HOA is a total of $89 per month. We'd purchased a single family house (4 bedroom, 3 bathroom). There are actually hundreds of single family homes in Riverpark, not just condos and town houses.

Riverpark is a very nice area to live in. Is it perfect? No, but the area is very clean, walkable with people out and about, enjoying the outdoors. The Collection, as already mentioned, is a great place to go for dining, shopping, etc. More restaurants, shops are coming into the Collection, as well as two hotels. There's another school being built within Riverpark soon, which will make 3 schools within the community.

My family and I truly enjoy our home, community and way of life that Riverpark provides. I think you would love it here too.
True there are single family homes at Riverpark. Lot size is not very big though. Then again I see my 100' X 60' lot as being small. I think if I was looking at homes I would look in the Gonzales road area around Snow. Those homes also have small lots but they have a cheaper property tax range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County