Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2013, 10:35 PM

961 posts, read 2,565,523 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to either Westlake Village or Thousand Oaks with school aged children. I'm wondering if there is fog or marine layer in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 11:37 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,035,823 times
Not much. Westlake is at least 12 miles from the ocean. During the winter there is occasionally some fog in the morning, but it burns off quickly. The fogs from the plains to the north (Camarillo and Oxnard) have to make it over the grade, which often has early fog, even in summer.
"Marine Layer" refers mainly to an overcast day. If it's in the Conejo Valley, it's pretty much everywhere in the County.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:49 PM

45 posts, read 82,454 times
We're in the southern area of Newbury Park up in the hills south of the 101 a few miles. There can sometimes be noticeable differences in climatic conditions between here, Thousand Oaks proper, Westlake Village, and beyond along the 101 eastward (Agoura, Calabasas, etc.).
We might have heavy low clouds (aka Marine Layer) in our neck of the woods, particularly in the early mornings or late afternoons, but then emerge into clear and sunny conditions as we drive over the hill towards the 101 and into T.O. and Westlake.

The Conejo Valley's topography is such that the conditions can vary quite a bit at times, so it's hard to lump it all together when describing the weather there and in adjacent areas.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:46 PM

961 posts, read 2,565,523 times
Thanks so much for the replies. Microclimates are exactly why I was asking this. Gloom is torture for me so if I can avoid it, I would rather.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:06 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,333,368 times
I have seen it come into the TO area in the past. I was driving up the grade from Oxnard on my way to LA when I saw the fog heading in just south of the grade. It looked cool as it was heading toward the early morning sunny skies that day. Still, you won't have much of any the further inland that you go.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynetarzana View Post
Thanks so much for the replies. Microclimates are exactly why I was asking this. Gloom is torture for me so if I can avoid it, I would rather.

Gloom can be handy at times (gloomy weather, that is).

Coming home from downtown L.A. in the heat of a hot summer afternoon can be interesting. Downtown L.A. will be having ocean breezes blowing through the buildings, cooling off the hot temps. Similar conditions driving the 101 Freeway into and through Hollywood, and through the Cahuenga Pass.

But as you pass Universal Studios and head into Studio City and beyond, through the San Fernando Valley, the heat is oppressive, especially in the Woodland Hills area. Now the temperature indicates 109, as opposed to 83 or something back in downtown L.A.

Then winding through Calabasas and into the Conejo Valley, the temperatures slowly decline, and the marine clouds emerge over Saddle Peak, then Castro Peak, and as you pass through Agoura Hills, the display indicates 96, then it keeps dropping as you enter Westlake Village and then Thousand Oaks.

By the time you reach the 23/101 interchange, it's now 89. And the clouds are thicker and lower as they loom up over and through the Conejo Grade that drops into Camarillo.

At my house, as I pull into the driveway, it'll be around 79 or some such thing. But down in Camarillo, it'll be a pleasant 73. And over in Oxnard and at Point Mugu Naval Air Station (now Naval Base Ventura County), it just might be 68 or something. Unreal...

So, we can't lump the Conejo Valley into one climate pattern. As you mentioned, there are tons of micro-climates lurking about. And I didn't bother to mention Simi Valley or Moorpark, which have their own unique climate patterns.

Bottom line: There are a few choice spots up and down the southern California Coast that have some pretty nice weather. La Jolla comes to mind. Santa Barbara, certainly. And right here. Pretty nice...

Good luck!

Old 05-02-2013, 09:02 PM

Default Send the gloom

We could really use some marine layer gloom right now, as the Camarillo Springs Fire has burned its way around the western edge of the Dos Vientos development west of Newbury Park and is now in the mountains and hills above Pacific Coast Highway and south of our collective neighborhoods here in the very south end of Newbury Park, adjacent to the western tip of the Santa Monica Mountain National Recreation Area and the Bony Mountain/Sycamore Canyon areas.

Local AM radio station news webpage:
KVTA News » KVTA

Our local rag:
Ventura County Star: Local Ventura, California News Delivered Throughout the Day.

That other rag:
California wildfires: Firefighters battle to save homes - latimes.com

VCFD:
VCFD > Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County