Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 05:30 PM

459 posts, read 1,039,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang! View Post
I bet the New Yorker drove away from that same intersection mumbling something under his breath and wondering why Vermonters drive so slow. I know I do every time I drive to Rutland and get stuck in traffic and can't figure out how so few cars manage to make such a jam.
VT easily has some of the worst drivers I've ever seen. Slow to the point of it being dangerous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 06:54 PM

17 posts, read 49,108 times
I wonder what personality trait/lifestyle choice leads to slow driving?

Old 06-26-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTgoneaway View Post
I wonder what personality trait/lifestyle choice leads to slow driving?
Age. Most Vermonters are pretty old.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:19 AM

2,360 posts, read 5,262,455 times
Must be a pretty nice place to live to stay that long.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
Must be a pretty nice place to live to stay that long.
Vermont by age is one of the oldest states in the country.
So another way to look at it is,
"Can't be that nice if everyone who can get out does".

Old 07-05-2010, 12:38 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,144,294 times
Interesting. You think I owe an apology to whom? The many people who spread the stereotypes about NY drivers? Or perhaps those who drive badly and happen to be sporting NY plates? My stereotypes of NYers tend to be positive but that seems to be unusual.

I love my chosen home Vermont plus I love NY, am often mistaken for a NYer, and if I was a city girl I'd still be living there. When I saw the NY license plate blow through a stop sign, I knew that people who think less of NYers would chalk it up to where the driver was from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTgoneaway View Post
As he drove away, I saw the New York license plate. Way to perpetuate a stereotype, Dude!
I think you owe an apology to all the out of state visitors that make life in an undeveloped state possible. I'm sure any NYer could drive through VT on any random day and find an example of an older hippy to use to stereotype the entire state. Frankly I'm disappointed and sad I was always proud of how open minded and non-judgmental Vermonters used to be.

Last edited by Sherylcatmom; 07-05-2010 at 01:04 PM..

Old 07-21-2010, 02:48 PM

2 posts, read 3,022 times
WOW! Thank you everybody for your responses! I recently went to Burlington with my husband on the 4th of July weekend...we had a fabulous time however...we really didnt feel that this area suited us. We looked in the paper and on Craig's List for jobs and also talked to some locals and it looks pretty dismal as you all explained. IM SO SAD! I love Ludlow and Chester but I really am trying to stay away from the tourism. so..I guess we are too poor to move to VT =( but we will definately visit when we can and be most respectful to all the natives because we know how it feels being natives here in the Poconos..to quote Rodney Dangerfield...well you guys know... anyhow..btw I would MUCH rather drive with the "slow" Vermont drivers than deal with the ignorant out of state city people any day. We were treated so well while we were there and I definately cannot say that of my own hometown which is now the playground of Jersey Shore look-a-likes. its a sick world people.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:43 PM

42 posts, read 125,630 times
There are a lot of places in the northeast that are just as great as Ludlow and not as pricey. Look into upstate NY, and Maine.

I always get a kick out of the NY bashing, I do it myself sometimes too! I think my driving style has changed dramatically since I moved here, but I think it's a product of not having to fight much traffic. You can pretty much count on getting where you gotta go within a certain reasonable time frame here. That makes it a lot easier to be sane.

And wherever you move you will not get away from NYers. They are everywhere! I walk into bars in New Zealand and there's NYers. I wonder how is that there are any left in NY?

I think "Flatlander" is a state of mind more than a geographical boundary. What I've learned is that rude people are rude people, trashy is trashy. Doesn't matter whether the person is a NYer or a Tennessee lamb... or god forbid a native Vermonter

P.S. And yes I count the Adks as part of New England too. Should be part of Vermont or Canada really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont