Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2010, 01:05 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,147,291 times

Advertisements

tomato bonanza in our garden. All the plants have taken off like I've not seen before. We're going to have way too many tomatoes, looks like we'll have enough for our entire road.

I might enter some in the state fair, I've looked over the winners in the past and they seemed like nothing special. There seemed to be a million winners, part of Vermont's "let's not hurt anyone's feelings" vibe I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 01:14 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,882,084 times
we have like 25 plants here.... lots of green tomatoes.. one of these days we are going to have more tomatoes than we can eat for sure.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
we have like 25 plants here.... lots of green tomatoes.. one of these days we are going to have more tomatoes than we can eat for sure.
We have twenty, we got a late start and up until last week had practically nothing. Our first tomato is just about ready.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:43 PM

118 posts, read 285,307 times
I gave up on growing Tomatoes in Mount Holly after three years in a row having frost set in before any of them ripened. Big disappointment to go through the effort of tilling, planting, watering, and weeding, just to have everything taken by frost.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:59 PM

986 posts, read 2,336,901 times
My tomato plants (6 of them in pots) are doing quite well. I have tons of green tomatoes... when will they turn red so I can eat them?

Old 07-12-2010, 05:15 PM

18,359 posts, read 26,539,073 times
If everything holds out (no disease, pests, etc.), I should have my best crop of tomatoes of the past few years judging from how things look.

However, the low temps we got for a time after planting (you know, going from 80's/90's to some days and nights of 40's and I recorded a low of 39 one night with my thermometer, just isn't good for those plants...) killed off my melons. I've got one tiny watermelon plant and one cantaloupe plant, I'm not counting on those at all because they're so small right now, though there's a slight chance of getting something if I tent some plastic on them in Sept. and Oct.. A chipmunk dug up a couple of watermelon plants that had survived the wild temps while tunnelling for some reason or another. My armenian cucumbers didn't like those temps either but most held on...

But there's good and bad years for every crop. This year looks good for tomatoes, potatoes, onions, beans, the lettuce did good, pretty soon I'll be over run with squash...

Old 07-12-2010, 11:18 PM

914 posts, read 2,923,794 times
Tomatoes do best with temps with sustained overnight temps in the 50's. I live in a big tomato area (northern end of California's Central valley) But this year, we've had cooler than normal weather, especially at night, which, as I mentioned, is key to growing red, ripe tomatoes!

Old 07-13-2010, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang! View Post
I gave up on growing Tomatoes in Mount Holly after three years in a row having frost set in before any of them ripened. Big disappointment to go through the effort of tilling, planting, watering, and weeding, just to have everything taken by frost.
Then you really need to start earlier or select tomatoes that don't take so long to grow. There's no reason to not have small tomatoes by mid July, mediums by late July, and large in August.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont