Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2012, 10:42 AM

3 posts, read 18,371 times

Advertisements

Hi!

My husband and I are beginning our search to purchase a ski condo at mount snow. We will most likely get a 1 bedroom, approx 600 sq. ft.

What can I estimate for electric heat costs and other utilities?

(coming from Long Island, where we pay some of the highest rates in the country, I don't know anyone who has electric heat, so I am ready to be shocked!)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 11:23 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,510,277 times
A lot...

9 years ago I was in a place that electric heat for the finished off basement (finished as a studio apartment though accessible from the rest of the house), it was over $100 to heat that tiny space (two electric baseboard heaters in there), smaller than 600 square feet too I think. Rates have gone up in 9 years too...what's really scary is that basement got some heat off the older boiler that heated the main floors which was in a room next to it, so without that it would have been higher for the electric...

Old 02-15-2012, 01:37 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,867,662 times
I'd guess $100 a month or so when you are there. Could easily be more depending on how warm you like it, how cold it is outside and how well it is insulated/sealed. But if you are not there all the time you could turn it down a bit I bet. The nice thing is you usually end up with a heater in every room with electric, so you can turn it down in the LR and up in the bedroom and close the bathroom door so it's warm when you have to go there.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:01 PM

Thanks for the insight

I pay $215 per month on LI for my 1500 sq. ft. house for just electric and AC (gas heat, oven and dryer, which is $100 a month).

I can deal with low 60s, I'll buy some extra blankets

Old 02-15-2012, 04:56 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,664,047 times
I won't say you will be shocked or not. Before you buy a place with electric heat, ask to see electric bills for all of last winter. Don't be fooled by someone who says I don't have them. The past bills or cost per month is easy to get. If they have some recent bills, the electric companies include last years expenses for a comparison to this years costs. This of coarse is by month. The electric companies will also readily make available usage history.
If you use electric heat along with other electrical usage, the Vermont Dept of Public Service claims that it is not uncommon for electric rates to run $250-450 per month in winter months. In your case it will depend on many factors. Is the unit on the end of the building, what level is it located on, how warm or cool you are willing to live with, etc. Don't be fooled into thinking you can also live with a very cool interior temp. If you keep the temp low all the time, you can run into condensation issues which can lead to mold issues. Remember, just because you can't see mold does not mean it isn't there. It could be on the interior of the wall. You also need to pay attention to where pipes are running if you shut heat off in a room and there are pipes in the wall. If you are on a lower floor and you break the person upstairs water pipes, you will be held responsible for all costs. I have a co-worker who lives in a condo at Bolton and this happened in her condo building a year or two ago.
I think if you look at past electric bills, you will get a feel for what the costs will be. Also, if you are cold from a days worth of skiing, would you want to go back to a place with a temp in the 60's?

Old 02-15-2012, 11:56 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
I can't imagine it being as low as $100 per month in the winter. I'd guess $250+.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:50 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,510,277 times
Yeah, it would have to be more than 100, especially now. That basement never really went below freezing even without the heat on.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:45 AM

I'll definitely ask for copies of past bills and usage that's a great idea. Does the Vermont elec cos offer balanced billing?

Old 02-16-2012, 09:51 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,867,662 times
can you get gas heat in there or no?

i think you are right. i was thinking about the heater we use in the bedroom sometimes, is only 500 watts and makes it unbearably hot to sleep in, but that is sleeping and is also in combination with other heat. But solely electric, it's probably more like a few 2000 watt heaters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont