Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 10:15 AM

167 posts, read 354,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Average wolf pack requires about 200 square miles of habitat. That is very doable in many states.

And if you remember Bio 101, or keep up with the data on the subject, wolves are native predators in N. Am., DO NOT prey on people, and have minimal impacts on prey populations.

Suggest you get your data from scientific sources.

Tell that ot this guys widow. I'm sure she'll feel much better.Wolves kill teacher in Alaska - Los Angeles Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 10:17 AM

As far as your "only 200 square miles" goes, I guess that's easy to say for you when it's not your Cattle, Sheep, Horses, and domestic pets that they're going to eat.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Average wolf pack requires about 200 square miles of habitat. That is very doable in many states.

And if you remember Bio 101, or keep up with the data on the subject, wolves are native predators in N. Am., DO NOT prey on people, and have minimal impacts on prey populations.

Suggest you get your data from scientific sources.

Almost missed that one. That's the biggest lie you wrote out of all your lies. I could fill many pages on this thread with links of the devastating effects of Wolves on Elk and Moose herds from Wyoming to Alaska if you want. But you're just another dreamer isolated from the outdoors in your dreamworld.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:21 AM

4,465 posts, read 8,009,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAblackbear View Post
Tell that ot this guys widow. I'm sure she'll feel much better.Wolves kill teacher in Alaska - Los Angeles Times
I hope you noted that the same article says this is the FIRST recorded attack in the US.
There was also thought to have been one in Canada, circa 2006; turned out to be a bear.

Wolves do not as a rule prey on people; wild packs of abandoned dogs in inner cities of this country have killed more people than any other type of canine.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Almost missed that one. That's the biggest lie you wrote out of all your lies. I could fill many pages on this thread with links of the devastating effects of Wolves on Elk and Moose herds from Wyoming to Alaska if you want. But you're just another dreamer isolated from the outdoors in your dreamworld.
Hey. I live in wolf country. I also am familiar with ecology and the small number of attacks on domestic animals, as well as the wolves neglegible effect on wild ones.

And I suggest you get info from sources other than Guns & Ammo.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Why isn’t the wildlife science of three of the leading western states (Wyoming, Montana and Idaho) and the USFWS credible?
Better yet, why is it only in those states where outfitting is an important part of the economy that this is an issue?

Last edited by Geechie North; 07-24-2010 at 11:52 AM..

Old 07-24-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
As far as your "only 200 square miles" goes, I guess that's easy to say for you when it's not your Cattle, Sheep, Horses, and domestic pets that they're going to eat.
I assume you live in downtown Philly from your lack of knowledge- as evidenced by your post here.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:35 AM

The Gray Wolf in Wisconsin - WDNR (http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/er/mammals/wolf/ - broken link)

"Review of published research and preliminary data
]analysis suggests bears are having a small but
]measurable impact on fawn mortality and that wolves have a small impact on the
mortality rate of adult does."

Last edited by Geechie North; 07-24-2010 at 11:50 AM..

Old 07-24-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
I assume you live in downtown Philly from your lack of knowledge- as evidenced by your post here.

Yeah right Chief, I'd take you on in woodsmanship any day. The mountains are my home. Anyway what you need to understand about Wolves and the Rocky Mountain west and prey species is that wolves and prey exist in boom and bust cycles. In places where wolves have always been those cycles are well established and the scales tip one way or the other every so many years. But when you introduce Wolves somewhere that they haven't existed for many years they will go into a boom cycle due to an abundance of easy food (prey species not adjusted to Wolves killing tactics) and that means the prey will go into a bust cycle until things balance out which will take years. New England has a very good thing going with it's Moose populations at a time when populations in many areas of North America are in a bust due to brainworm and liver flukes. It would be a disaster to force one of the few booming Moose populations on the continent into a bust cycle because someone wanted Wolves. There are plenty of Coyotes in New England so who even needs Wolves?

Old 07-24-2010, 11:59 AM

[quote=Geechie North;15179459]Hey. I live in wolf country. I also am familiar with ecology and the small number of attacks on domestic animals, as well as the wolves neglegible effect on wild ones.

And I suggest you get info from sources other than Guns & Ammo.[/quote]

thanks anyway but I want my sources to be correct. I can't trust a person who doesn't ride, shoot straight, and speak the truth. And I sure can't trust anyone who hugs bunnies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of: