Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 10:52 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,901,566 times

Advertisements

Ahh the Sagamore! That's on my list!

The one in California is the Hotel Del Coronado.

I stayed at the Frontenac ages ago and the views were just amazing. It felt like you were in a fortress, not a hotel. I loved it!

Are any of the Flagler hotels still around in Florida?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 11:09 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,955,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkln View Post
I've never been on the Cog, but have wanted to try it. But if it's noisy and smokey as MRV states, I'll probably avoid it now! We've driven up once, but we've also climbed in the winter a couple of times.

I was a wuss and made it about 3/4 of the way the second time we went, only because there were guys bigger than me being blown around in the 90mph winds. My fiancé summited though...he told me next time I'm not getting off that easy!
Ha ha, yeah I would wuss out too. I didnt know that you could drive up to the top too. We might try that.

Old 06-24-2007, 11:17 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,930,887 times
I've never actually ridden on the Cog Railroad. But I've hiked Mt. Washington more than a few times and visited the base station and its museum. Back in the old days when workers had put in a shift at the top they would ride a sled on wheels, kind of like a luge, to the base using the railroad track. I seem to remember reading that the fastest time down was 2 minutes, give or take. I still can't imagine what that must have been like. The mountain is storied for well over 100 deaths resulting from a combination of adverse weather and lack of planning on the part of many. Tuckerman's Ravine is strewn with the markers of many who were lost. When you're out on a hike, it kinda makes you stop and think. It's a one-of-a-kind place, for sure. They say that on the clearest of days you can see the Atlantic and I can see Mt. Washington from a mile or two up the road from my house, which makes me believe that I'm somehow closer than a five hour drive to the ocean.

Old 06-25-2007, 12:13 AM

I lived in Colorado for a few years and the locals would scoff at lowly Mt. Washington, but truthfully, even though I've been on the highest roads in Colorado, none of them ever felt so high as Mt. Washington. Mt. Washington just feels like it means business. It can be beautiful and it can be terrifying. But usually it just feels ominous. The weather changes so fast and so violently it's like you're in another world.

Old 06-25-2007, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Els View Post
I lived in Colorado for a few years and the locals would scoff at lowly Mt. Washington, but truthfully, even though I've been on the highest roads in Colorado, none of them ever felt so high as Mt. Washington. Mt. Washington just feels like it means business. It can be beautiful and it can be terrifying. But usually it just feels ominous. The weather changes so fast and so violently it's like you're in another world.
Well that sounds kinda scarey maybe I'll pass on the Cog

Old 06-25-2007, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
Well that sounds kinda scarey maybe I'll pass on the Cog
Oh no you don't! The railway is the safest way up and down the mountain. You go. It's something you'll never forget. And you'll have a lot of fun.

Old 06-25-2007, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Els View Post
Oh no you don't! The railway is the safest way up and down the mountain. You go. It's something you'll never forget. And you'll have a lot of fun.
LMAO....ok maybe I'll try it one time But if I get scared, I am coming after you....hahaha

Old 06-25-2007, 05:49 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,960,464 times
Mt. Washington was the first 'real' climb I've ever done, and at first, I thought, hey, 6,000 feet, can't be that bad. My fiancé decided we HAD to do it in winter...I thought, sure, why not. Yeah. Then I started doing research.

For my FIRST time EVER with crampons, ice ax, etc...I did pretty good. But we only made it half way. Everything they say about the weather is true, and then some. The second time, as we were taking a break at Lion's Head, I watched this young guy, probably about 170lbs, get blown around like he was a toothpick. I decided to cut my losses and call it a day!

Old 06-25-2007, 05:50 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,960,464 times
Sorry - meant to say - even with the crazy weather, the views were outstanding. It was pelting ice the second time we were there, with 60mph winds, and negative wind chills. But it was stunning.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:35 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,855,600 times
The Cog is worthwhile to check out and a part of historical New England. For history buffs Vermont used to have mountain hotels served by carriage roads in the late 1800s into the 1900s. The mountain atmosphere was considered to be theraputic. The one on Mt Mansfield lasted until 1964 when the last structure burned down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont