Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 06:33 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,960,690 times

Advertisements

I have read a few comments people have made on driving in the snow with SUVs. The impression I got is that it wasnt a good idea. Can someone clear that up for me? I would think that driving an SUV would be better than a standard car. Is having 4wd better than 2wd? Do tires really make that much of a difference? Does anyone use chains? I remember when we lived in Iceland, our car had these, I guess studs(?) in the tires. They were supposed to be better than driving with chains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 08:17 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,943,341 times
First Christmas in July, Now this? Here's a link to last winter's discussion on snow tires.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/vermo...questions.html

Old 06-28-2007, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
First Christmas in July, Now this? Here's a link to last winter's discussion on snow tires.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/vermo...questions.html
Thanks for the link

Old 06-28-2007, 10:08 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,904,825 times
One other thing.

Trouble in snow and ice occurs when you can't steer or stop. All other things being equal, SUVs take longer to stop because of their great bulk. Remember high school physics?

Quote:
An object at rest tends to stay at rest and an object in motion tends to stay in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force. - I. Newton
The more mass an object has, the more force is needed to get to a state of rest. ABS helps to prevent loss of control but doesn't help much with stopping distance.

The other issue is maneuverability. SUVs aren't light on their feet. In panic maneuvering an SUV is apt to be much less nimble than a car and, no matter what, its center of gravity will be higher. That's important because the center of gravity will determine what the rollover point will be. The suspensions of SUVs are tuned to carry weight and pull other objects, not to maneuver nimbly in emergency situations.

When you combine the mass with Newton's First Law, the center of gravity being higher, and the suspension tuning, SUVs lose in some very important categories when it comes to safe driving. In an accident, an SUV may be safer but it depends on the sort of accident and, as Volvo likes to remind us, the safest accident is the one you avoid.

Old 06-28-2007, 11:17 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,943,341 times
A+ for that post, Jason!

Old 06-29-2007, 06:19 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,275,634 times
Many, many folks in Vermont get by with a front wheel drive and good snow tires - myself including. I love driving in the snow - it's fun!

Old 06-29-2007, 09:00 AM

515 posts, read 2,324,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Many, many folks in Vermont get by with a front wheel drive and good snow tires - myself including. I love driving in the snow - it's fun!
SUVs are better driving on snow, but worse driving on ice. And on either surface, harder to stop. Part of the problem is some people get so cocky driving them in winter conditions that they go too fast... & wind up on their roof in a dirtch!

I do OK most of the time w/ front wheel drive and snow tires, but still get stuck in heavy snow not recently plowed, where I see the SUVs cruising right through it - there is no question that they are superior overall.

Old 06-29-2007, 09:23 AM

122 posts, read 458,684 times
I totally agree with the cocky-driver post. While I've never actually done a study, I've made mental notes while driving nice and slowly in dangerous conditions on the interstate. That I've noticed, I swear, 99.5% of the time, is that vehicles off the road are 1) in the median (trying to pass) and 2) an SUV. There seems to be a false sense of security about driving one of those vehicles, and that you're invincible driving one in the snow. Anyway, I've done very well in my minivan (2WD) with snow tires. Use common sense and you'll be just fine. Oh, and find an empty parking lot once you're here, that might help, too!!

Last edited by VTeratheart; 06-29-2007 at 10:36 AM..

Old 06-29-2007, 09:50 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,965,533 times
It's the same thing here in NYC - everyone thinks that they own an SUV and they are invincible. Well, not so...I drive one and know that no matter what, I'm not any better off in most snow or ice than anyone else. The ONLY thing an SUV will help you in is deeper snow where you can get stuck in a RWD or FWD car...as stated above, it's worse in rain/ice/slick conditions because it weighs much more and takes a lot longer to stop.

(Disclaimer: I drive a Jeep, because my 135lb dog will not fit in a car, and it was cheaper than all the wagons I wanted!)

Old 06-29-2007, 02:34 PM

When you are talking about SUV's are you talking about the big ones like the Suburban or the Expediton? What about the mid-sized size SUVs, we are going to be buying the BMW-X5. I heard they handle very well in harsh weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont