Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 08:52 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,827,137 times

Advertisements

I think we are all cautious in general but I can't imagine VT being on a terrorist list...and from what I have heard from some of my friends who live close to the Canadian border, it is not easy to cross to either side without ID, inspections and questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2007, 03:59 PM

89 posts, read 317,230 times
The other thing in Vermont's favour it is relatively sparsely populated. Terrorists for the most part are going to hit population centers as they get more bang for the buck. Not to say that it could not happen, we all need to be vigilant in these times, no matter where we live.

Old 07-03-2007, 02:46 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,955,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab8mi View Post
The other thing in Vermont's favour it is relatively sparsely populated. Terrorists for the most part are going to hit population centers as they get more bang for the buck. Not to say that it could not happen, we all need to be vigilant in these times, no matter where we live.
I agree that we all need to be vigilant in these awful times. Moving to Vermont in my mind, was a safety move as well as a list of other reasons. Yes Terrorist can attack anytime, anywhere, but as sad as it is, they do tend to hit a bigger target, as you said, more bang for their buck. Living 45 mins north of Los Angeles, I feel relatively safe, but you just never know. There have been reports on the news that they are heading out my way. The world has become a scarey place. My kids will never know the life I had growing up in the 70's. The safety we all felt. Sigh.

Old 07-03-2007, 05:41 AM

89 posts, read 317,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
I agree that we all need to be vigilant in these awful times. Moving to Vermont in my mind, was a safety move as well as a list of other reasons. Yes Terrorist can attack anytime, anywhere, but as sad as it is, they do tend to hit a bigger target, as you said, more bang for their buck. Living 45 mins north of Los Angeles, I feel relatively safe, but you just never know. There have been reports on the news that they are heading out my way. The world has become a scarey place. My kids will never know the life I had growing up in the 70's. The safety we all felt. Sigh.
I think you would find living in Vermont that at least some of that 70's safe feeling may actually come back to you. Of course we just moved here a short while ago and we live in a small village. The beauty of the land makes my days far less stressful. My drive to work, instead of being a traffic jam is full of maoutains, trees, streams and generally friendly motorists. I have not been more relaxed in many years.

Old 07-03-2007, 01:13 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,497,821 times
When I was growing up, we kept out doors unlocked. This was in Brooklyn, NY! Now just about every house multiply locked, and often has alarms and even barred windows.

Our local authorities tell us not to worry about terrorism, but there are signs in the subway that say "If you see something, say something". Although the likelihood of being harmed by terrorists is small, New Yorkers know that our city is always in terrorists' sights.

And it still hurts to look at the downtown skyline. Every September 11 they turn on those lights at the World Trade Center. I can see them from my home, even from my kitchen window. I have pictures of them hanging right behind me as I type. The pictures have been there for years.

It would be nice to have that sense of safety again in Vermont.

Old 07-03-2007, 01:28 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,263,765 times
Has there been tightened security at Vermont Yankee near Bratt since 9/11?

Old 07-03-2007, 04:20 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,955,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab8mi View Post
I think you would find living in Vermont that at least some of that 70's safe feeling may actually come back to you. Of course we just moved here a short while ago and we live in a small village. The beauty of the land makes my days far less stressful. My drive to work, instead of being a traffic jam is full of maoutains, trees, streams and generally friendly motorists. I have not been more relaxed in many years.
You said what I needed to hear. And gave me yet another for moving to Vermont. I just got back home from running some errands with my daughter, I am always a nervous wreck while driving. Today the traffic was so bad, and there are people that just dont pay attention at all to the roads. They are busy talking, texting, or doing make-up, or eatting, or speeding. It freaks me out. Speeding is a huge problem here!!! You have these kids that are in their SUV's tailgating you, cussing at you cuz you dont drive as fast as they want you to go, whizzing by you at very high speeds. They have no idea what that huge of a car can do to a person or another smaller car if they slam into you. While driving I see accidents everyday!! I really mean everyday, it is crazy. I cant wait to get to a more relaxed type of life. The pace is very fast in So Cali. Too much for me anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont