Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 07:25 PM

1 posts, read 3,142 times

Advertisements

Just got back from a Kayaking trip in North Conway, and am also looking for a kayaking bud....going tomorrow to buy a kayak and all the fixin's any advice?
Bunny email me vermontone@hotmail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 09:51 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post

We've been to the Dorset Quarry -- very cool place!

Old 07-14-2008, 10:55 AM

37 posts, read 89,459 times
Default vtpaddlers.net

the vt paddlers club is a good resource. You can contact other paddlers, go on trips already planned, or suggest a trip yourself.

www.vtpaddlers.net

Happy paddling.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:06 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,824,081 times
I used to kayak in my younger days, it's an awesome sport. Just wanted to mention, I see it's on the paddlers website link, the big kayak event in Vermont IMHO is when Townsend Dam does a release. Kayakers come from all over the northeast to experience a few momentary moments of real whitewater paddling.

There are few big rivers in Vermont. By July many of the rivers are so low that you can't even canoe for any great distance without having to get out, walk it or you'll come to a dam. The West River usually has alot of low spots by this time of year.

Regarding the Batten Kill, I would avoid it, if you can. It's a world reknown trout steam and when there is alot of flyfishermen and boaters on the river at the same time conflicts can occur.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:04 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,499,437 times
I'm planning to move to Brattleboro in late August or early September. I wonder if if will still be warm enough in southern Vermont to paddle. Eventually I may buy a kayak, but I need to rent first and try out different styles.

This thread is a great resource for links to information. And also to people who are interested in paddling.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:16 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,064,665 times
Here is my kayak, it's not in Vermont It's here with me in Mt. It's a fishing rigged sit on top style kayak.
View as slideshow they show up larger.

Picasa Web Albums - Rick - Pimped Out Ri...

Old 07-17-2008, 06:59 PM

105 posts, read 357,857 times
Quote:
I'm planning to move to Brattleboro in late August or early September. I wonder if if will still be warm enough in southern Vermont to paddle. Eventually I may buy a kayak, but I need to rent first and try out different styles.

This thread is a great resource for links to information. And also to people who are interested in paddling.
Arel, it will still be warm enough to venture out onto the West River and CT River at that time of year and on into October, especially if we get an Indian Summer. To me, it's the best time to be out there, as the leaves are turning and the rivers are beautiful. As a matter of fact, the Retreat Meadows that you mentioned drain right into the West River.

Stop by and see John at the Vermont Canoe Touring Center, right across the street from the Marina. I think he still rents kayaks, along with canoes.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:13 AM

1,442 posts, read 6,499,437 times
I had dinner at the Marina earlier in the month, and I saw people using the Retreat Meadows.

I had heard the Meadows was shallow, but I was shocked to see how shallow it actually is. I saw people wading in the middle. The water came up to their knees. It couldn't have been deeper than 2-3 feet.

Interesting. If your kayak capsizes on the Meadows, all you have to do is step out of it, pick it up and dump out the water. Hopefully, you won't bang your head on the bottom of the Meadows. Or break your paddle.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:15 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,824,081 times
Quote:
I had dinner at the Marina earlier in the month, and I saw people using the Retreat Meadows.

I had heard the Meadows was shallow, but I was shocked to see how shallow it actually is. I saw people wading in the middle. The water came up to their knees. It couldn't have been deeper than 2-3 feet.

Interesting. If your kayak capsizes on the Meadows, all you have to do is step out of it, pick it up and dump out the water. Hopefully, you won't bang your head on the bottom of the Meadows. Or break your paddle.
As I mentioned in a post above the West River is wide but doesn't have much water in it, in part, of course, due to the Townsend Dam upriver. It's lower upstream. Part of the reason Maple Valley Ski area failed, not enough water to draw for snowmaking.

If ya get a chance take a drive up Rt 30 along the West River take a right thru the West Dummerston Covered Bridge continue on the East West Rd to Rt 5 then back down to Bratt. Not a big loop, maybe 30 miles total but a nice drive, all pavement.

BTW they are renovating Harris Hill ski jump in Bratt, should be some fun and exciting ski jumping events to check out. Not too many 90 meter ski jumps left in the US.
http://www.harrishillskijump.org/history_facts.html (broken link)

Old 07-25-2008, 11:54 AM

104 posts, read 491,560 times
More outdoor links for Vermont including kayaking and swimming holes can be found at the following website: www.voga.org
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont