Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 07:00 AM

1,442 posts, read 6,502,085 times

Advertisements

I have read on this forum that most towns in Vermont do not have 24 hour police protection.

Obviously, you do not have the crime problems of non-rural areas and/or citizens are armed and can defend themselves if necessary.

There was a famous case in New York where a man shot four muggers. He was not criminally liable for hurting the muggers but he did go to jail for having an illegal gun, which I think he had bought for protection after a previous mugging. It is very hard to legally own a firearm in New York City. I don't know about the rest of New York State, but in the city there is strict gun control. (Criminals are armed, of course.) BTW, the family of one person he shot successfully sued him for millions. Sadly, people sometimes have to choose between physical safety and legal safety.

What are the laws on gun ownership, self-defense and deadly force in Vermont?

Also, how well-trained, honest and fair are the police?

And does the community act together to protect someone they know is in danger from someone, such as a stalking ex-partner or whoever?

Last edited by arel; 07-07-2007 at 07:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2007, 08:14 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,963,886 times
From what I know, if you reside in Vermont, you can own a gun. There is no permit process like there is in NY.

According to the 17 year old who works in the gun shop we frequent, there is very little crime in VT because all the criminals know that the natives are armed.

Old 07-07-2007, 01:48 PM

1,135 posts, read 3,983,668 times
EVERYONE in Vt. has guns.
People I worked with generally had small arsenals.
They take their shootin' very seriously.
The possibility of vendetta in Vermont keeps evryone in check.
I knew a State Policeman who said in the NK they pretty much
have thier own law. State Police work out of thier houses and can
use thier cars for personal use. In otherwords...its very different
than the uncivilized parts of the country.

Old 07-07-2007, 06:28 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,273,074 times
First of all, there is nowhere in Vermont that does not have 24 hour police protection. Small towns that have part-time or no police have protection from the Vermont State Police, 24 hours a day. HOWEVER, the closest state police station from my house is 20 minutes (we don't have town police). There are a couple troopers who live in my town, and when off duty, will come in a jiffy if needed.
Re: guns, pretty much everyone else has said. Pretty much everyone has them whether they are for hunting or protection.

Old 07-07-2007, 09:21 PM

29 posts, read 87,277 times
Thank god the law is on your side. In burlington, it's a liberal attitude in ref. to weapons. They DON'T like 'em, but the law for NOW is on the gun owner's side. I guess most cities have that attitude. CCTA which is the public bus co. doesn't allow carry on the buses, but say nothing and it is nothing.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paullicker View Post
Thank god the law is on your side. In burlington, it's a liberal attitude in ref. to weapons. They DON'T like 'em, but the law for NOW is on the gun owner's side. I guess most cities have that attitude. CCTA which is the public bus co. doesn't allow carry on the buses, but say nothing and it is nothing.

Im suffering crazy, wack, culture shock right now.......
I bet the 600,000 people in Vermont have more guns
than the whole state of Florida where I just moved, but
Florida is an absolute war zone !!! After a week Ive
developed PTSD These people shoot at anything
that moves....out of cars, into homes, at each other.....
There is something to be learned here, Im just not sure what !?!?

Old 07-07-2007, 11:38 PM

9,424 posts, read 11,179,571 times
Vermont has what freedom loving people might consider enlightened firearms laws or lack of restrictions. Big cities IMO are typically run by arrogant freaks--sometimes they're billionaires--who have their own armed bodyguards but don't care about the safety of the common folk.
Criminals by definition do not obey the laws, particularly the dangerous types who carjack, home invade, mug, etc. They are cowards who would prefer to pick on 80 year old women or 90 year old WWII vets.

Florida, from what I've read, has reasonable carry laws for the honest citizen. As an open border state it's probably overrun by gangstas and street pharmacists working out turf issues, and general run-of-the-mill punks.

Old 07-08-2007, 07:01 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,963,886 times
Kozmic - that has GOT to be a huge change - Vermont to Florida??!!!!

I've also heard that Florida has pretty easy carry laws - perhaps you should look into that.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:15 AM

The people here are just plain mean.
It is an inconvenience to even acknowledge another human
unless it is with a horn.
As a flaming, liberal, missing-the-70's hippy, tree gnome,
all that I feel is wrong with America is right out my front
door, currently. But, I digress....to stay on topic, there are
two cases here that illustrate Floridas liberal gun laws.
One, a carload of hoodlems threatened a family man by
showing him a gun in a road rage incident, which appears
to be Floridiots favorite pasttime, the family guy pumpd nine
slugs into two of the creeps. the first two killed the hoodlem
kids so now he is going back to trial to see why he needed
7 more....sort of like Fl's version of Bernard Geotz on the
subway. In case two....A guy is eating in Subway or some such
shop and two hoods come in and rob the place and him, too.
When they told hm to produce a wallet they got a pistol and
shot dead, instead. No charges filed.
Having lived in Amish Pennsylvania and Vermont over the
past 6 years or so Ive forgotten how savage the "real"
world is. I will no longer laff at 'real' Vermonters lamenting
the way VT was, pre-flatlander. Not that I agree with a lot of that
stuff, but it this makes it easier to understand thier point of view.

Old 07-08-2007, 10:41 AM

29 posts, read 87,277 times
Koz, can I ask a STUPID ?, were you forced to move to hurricane land or by choice, why live in fla w/ mean a$$ hicks, angry young spanish people & a MAJOR drug problem, at least in VT U don't need a permit to carry. I know miami has a Metro but even w/ a permit, U can't carry on the metro system, is it worth living out in hurricane land, just a stupid ? on my part, sorry for asking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont