Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 06:29 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,174,827 times

Advertisements

Hi - I don't live in Vermont, but do read the forum since we are pretty close to you guys How did everyone make out with the weather yesterday afternoon/evening? Watching WPTZ it looked like you had some pretty intense storms! Everybody okay? Anybody know if a funnel cloud actually materialized? The weather guy said there was a Dopler image that showed something, but I was out of the room when he mentioned it and never did hear the rest of what he said...............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 06:59 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,548,448 times
In the Windsor to White Rive area we've had 5 straight days with very high humidity, high winds, hail, violent tstorms and torrential rain... every day... it's unusual.

Today dawned bright and cool and thankfully not humid, hopefully a good sign.

Old 07-12-2007, 07:15 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,263,765 times
We were fine in my part of Addison County. The Barre area got hit the hardest. They had some pretty major flooding. There are some "good" (is flooding ever good?) pics on the Times Argus Website.
Times Argus Online

Old 07-12-2007, 08:56 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,174,827 times
Wow! Those pics are something else! Glad you two are okay. Does Barre have a river going through it or near it, or was the flooding just from a tremendous amount of rain?

Sporin - It sounds like your weather was what was in the area south of us in NH...which makes sense, since you're so close to the NH border <g>....When we visit family in NY I see the signs for White River Junction, although I've never been there.

I'm still trying to figure out where we are when it comes to weather forecasts - some call us the "upper valley", some call us the "upper upper valley" and some seem to group us in the Northeast Kingdom!

It didn't look like anyone was hurt with the weather, but looks like a lot of property damage...

Old 07-12-2007, 08:59 AM

Yes, there is a river that runs through there. I think it was a combination of the river rising and the fact that it rained so hard so long that the stormwater drains/pipes were overwhelmed and backed up.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:02 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,960,464 times
How much rain came down in Barre? I didn't see any actual amount in the article...Those pictures were pretty crazy. Just goes to show no one is safe from Mother Nature.

We got hit pretty hard here in NYC as well - I know several roads were closed for flooding at some point, here and in NJ. But it came and went pretty fast, which was good. Don't have to worry about watering the garden!

Old 07-12-2007, 09:08 AM

I heard 6 inches in nearby Randolph.
The same thing happened about 3 years ago in Bristol. A thunderstorm formed and parked itself over the town for an hour or so. The flooding/damage was unreal!

Old 07-12-2007, 09:39 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,960,464 times
I think that might be the same storm that hit Stowe three years ago as well...our condo flooded but we didn't have it as bad as other people. I know several homes had to be gutted and I think some bridges washed out too.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:36 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,497,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkln View Post
We got hit pretty hard here in NYC as well - I know several roads were closed for flooding at some point, here and in NJ. But it came and went pretty fast, which was good. Don't have to worry about watering the garden!
I was working in Brooklyn last night. A client cancelled and I went to get a bagel. The sky looked like it might rain so I changed from my Birkenstocks to a pair of waterproof sandals. I went out and it started to drizzle. I got my umbrella out. A few moments later it was coming down like cats and dogs.

When I got back to my clinic the lightening and thunder started. Not too much of it, but it was still a storm that promised to put an end to the miserable humidity. The rain stopped pretty quickly and the sidewalks began to dry up. No harm done. Just a quick rainstorm. Today the weather is lovely.

Unfortunately, an oil barge went aground near Coney Island today. I didn't go to the Coney Island beach after working in a day care center nearby. I've gotten into the habit this summer of taking a big coffee to the boardwalk and watching the ocean. Maybe I should have today, but I didn't. I would have gone just out of curiousity, but I didn't hear about the mishap until I was driving home.

Old 07-12-2007, 02:19 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,955,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
We were fine in my part of Addison County. The Barre area got hit the hardest. They had some pretty major flooding. There are some "good" (is flooding ever good?) pics on the Times Argus Website.
Times Argus Online
This more than the cold weather, would be the only reason that I would hesitate our move to Vermont. I am terrified of flooding. I have never been in one. In So Calif, flooding is not an issue. My heart goes out to the people that are going through this now. Does it flood more in the upper part of the state as aposed to the southern, like Manchester or Bennington?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont