Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2007, 07:33 PM

37 posts, read 137,313 times

Advertisements

I'm a liberal arts B.A. grad (NYU 2001) and possess several years experience as an admin asst, and I'm currently a freelance researcher. What kind of salary can I realistically expect in Burlington?

Most people indicated the top reasons for leaving Vermont was the long and brutal winters, and the economy. I love cold weather, freezing rain, blustery winds but NYC's winters last about...2 weeks? Although, I don't about how I would feel about -30 degrees. I don't mind 10 degrees...

It's getting too congested down here and everthing is overly-priced, and it's getting pretty tacky, too - the insane asylum-like "modern" buildings. I'm looking for a smaller city (pop. of 1 million - more or less) in the East or West Coasts (Portland, Oakland or Seattle).

Any suggestions or ideas is most appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 07:44 PM

1,135 posts, read 3,982,664 times
Not much.
Sorry to be so blunt, but unless you get really lucky
you can expect to make about 1/2 of what you made in
NY.
In Rutland County, VT's second biggest city, Masters
get about 15.00 to 18.00 an hour if you are lucky enuff
to find a non-service related job.

Old 07-16-2007, 06:43 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,269,613 times
Koz gave you some good advice. For ideas on what is out there, check Seven Days: 7D Home, BurlingtonFreePress.com | Vermont News, North Country Region job search and jobs posting. Find a high quality employee. Find the perfect job., and JobsInVT.com - Local Vermont jobs, careers and employment (Home) (broken link)

Old 07-16-2007, 03:38 PM

37 posts, read 137,313 times
Koz and vter,

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Bye for now,
Rachael

Old 07-18-2007, 01:00 PM

36 posts, read 108,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rqnll View Post
I'm a liberal arts B.A. grad (NYU 2001) and possess several years experience as an admin asst, and I'm currently a freelance researcher. What kind of salary can I realistically expect in Burlington?

Any suggestions or ideas is most appreciated.
Lots of great listings today (included in Burlington search link below) that would suit a liberal arts graduate. Good luck!

Job Search Results on CareerBuilder.com

Last edited by FleeingOhioASAP; 07-18-2007 at 01:02 PM.. Reason: sorry just saw you said "freelance" researcher...I would contact the Universities

Old 07-22-2007, 07:04 PM

100 posts, read 381,532 times
You will definitely get winter here in VT, although the winters are changing there are still many cold days. Not sure you'll see -30 in the Burlington area though.

Jobs are difficult to find and the pay here is not as good as other areas of the country. I would definitely secure a job here before moving. Job first, then housing.

I moved here 10 years ago because i wanted more winter as well. They are definitely getting warmer and less snow but winter still seems to be the longest season here.

Good luck.

Old 07-24-2007, 01:30 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,662,640 times
The population in Burlington is only about 50,000. If you like long cold winters then Vermont is the place, but the economy is not very good compared to the rest of the country. You have to want to live hear for more than a salary. As an example it took me about 8 years to make the same salary I was making in Ct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of: