Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 03:07 PM

2 posts, read 5,448 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning a move to Brattleboro from Los Angeles. We are having a baby and can't afford to live in LA anymore. My family lives in Southern Vermont and we think we would love it - plus the cost of living is much much lower. My husband is out of work and has been for 8 months. He is thinking of moving to stay with my family while he looks for work in Brattleboro. He has a temp job to tide him over while he looks. Is this a horrible idea? How hard is it to find work there compared to LA? Cali is REALLY BAD! I have a job only making 32,000 / yr and am supporting us, so we can live on little money, obviously. I'm so conflicted. He has a college degree in Environmental Studies and experience in sales and management. We would also need to find a small house/ apt in the next few months but dont mind living around the area, we don't need to live right in Brattleboro. Any thoughts would be so helpful. THANK YOU!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 09:39 PM

9 posts, read 30,554 times
Brattleboro is a great little town. The major employer would probably be the Brattleboro Retreat (a mental health and rehab facility) and then maybe the hospital. There are also a few colleges in the area. In Keene, NH which is about 20-25 minutes away there is Keene State University and Antioch. On the VT side, there is SIT--school for international training, and marlboro college, which is a small liberal arts school. You are also within a somewhat reasonable commute from the Amherst, MA area (about 45 minutes) which has more employment options and Greenfield, MA is only about 25 minutes away. Personally, I love Brattleboro, but I think the hard part will be finding work. 32,000 will go way further in VT than in L.A.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:16 AM

72 posts, read 151,520 times
I know LA has a high cost of living, but so does Vermont. You have to factor in the salaries. The salaries here will be much lower. I am more familiar with the Burlington area though. So I am not sure about costs in Brattleboro. But I would imagine that perhaps salaries might be even slightly less than Burlington. So just keep that in mind when you think about moving.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:52 PM

2 posts, read 5,448 times
The cost of living in LA seems WAY higher - we pay 1200 for a one bedroom, not to mention all the gas money from driving around. PLUS my husband has been out of work for a year...but I am still scared about finding a job in the 30,000 range (both college educated) and a small house. He is going to drive down there and check it out. And if it doesn't work out, we are moving to the Denver area. I HATE LA, just can't stand it any longer!

Old 11-18-2013, 09:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,086 times
Good luck Moonbow, as a San Diegan, I can attest to the veracity of your comments...LA does suck! Haha. We're looking toward a move to Brattleboro in the future, maybe 5-7 years from now...thanks for your posts and points of view.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:21 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,865,191 times
If you can live on 32k in LA I bet you can find a job and survive in southern VT.

I don't know about Brattleboro but here you can find a decent 1 bedroom for $700-800. It is the larger homes with 3+ bedrooms that seem to be more difficult to find.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:06 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,618,395 times
A one bedroom for $800 in Brattleboro? That's not bad at all. But what about heating costs during the cold weather times?

Old 11-19-2013, 08:58 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
Heating costs, extra money for really good winter clothing, a sturdy car with great snow tires --and are there any jobs around Brattleboro? I wanted to live there once. The locals just laughed when I asked about jobs.

It is a beautiful area though if you can find a good enough job and put up with all the cold and ice and snow in winter.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:27 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I wanted to live there once. The locals just laughed when I asked about jobs.

Been my experience. I should have taken that SIT job but the pay was abysmal. I spent many years looking regularly for a job where I could live in Brattleboro w/o success.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:23 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,865,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
A one bedroom for $800 in Brattleboro? That's not bad at all. But what about heating costs during the cold weather times?
sorry I am not in Brattleboro. I don't know about pricing there but wouldn't be too surprised if it was similar. Easy enough to look on craigslist to get a feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont