Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2014, 08:11 PM

105 posts, read 516,211 times

Advertisements

My friends and I are coming up from Jersey and would love some feedback for ski resorts in Vermont. I've only been to Killington and Stratton, but how is Okemo and Jay Peak? Any other suggestions would be great too (thinking about heading to Smuggler's Notch too). My friends and I are intermediate/ almost expert snowboarder/ skiiers. Also do you guys have any suggestions on where to eat and what to do in the areas when we aren't skiing (We are probably staying in Rutland).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 06:28 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,293,647 times
Okemo is an intermediate paradise. Not a lot of difficult terrain there.
I would skip staying in Rutland-why are you thinking of that?
Sugarbush would be my mountain suggestion. Big mountain with lots of good terrain. If you stayed in Waterbury you could also hit up Stowe or Bolton Valley

Old 01-04-2014, 09:23 AM

23,665 posts, read 70,718,222 times
Agree with vter. Jay sits up like a sore thumb and can be windy when other areas are less so. If lift lines look like they are going to be long at Sugarbush or Stowe, you can get more slope time in at Bolton Valley. Also, Stowe isn't just the main slopes on Mansfield.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:40 PM

105 posts, read 516,211 times
Just looked up Bolton Valley and it looks great (plus night skiing!). Also, quick question why do most VT and some upstate NY ski resorts close at 4? In NJ and PA, the mountains usually close around 10 PM. Any good hotels to stay at? I wanted to stay in Rutland because it was a 20 minute drive to Killington (it kinda is in the middle of everything) and I stayed there before. It's a nice town but really not much to do.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:24 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,293,647 times
Vermont resorts close at 4 because they are not lighted. Bolton Valley is an exception.
For Bolton you could stay in Burlington which is a fantastic small city with lots of great restaurants/bar/shops. About a 1/2 hour drive to the mountain.
OR you could stay in Waterbury which is a nice small VT town with a couple good bars & restaurants. There is a Best Western there. Puts you close to Bolton, Stowe or Sugarbush.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:10 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,898,237 times
I would say they are not lighted because usually it gets darn cold at night and they do most of their grooming during this time.

Tonight was an exception to it being cold

Old 01-12-2014, 05:25 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,843,064 times
Resorts or ski hills need a large population nearby for night skiing to be a vialble and profitable part of the business model. As Vter mentioned Bolton has night skiing as it close to Burlington, Stowe also has limited night skiing off the gondola.

For most of the destination resorts their skiers/riders come for the weekends/holidays get plenty of skiing during the day, it's the local community that makes night skiing work.

Cochrans also has night skiing, very close to Burlington.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:11 PM

986 posts, read 2,339,217 times
What's the terrain at Bolton like? I'm by no means an expert skier, but I enjoy interesting terrain. Cannon in New Hampshire is my current favorite mountain (partly because of the views and lack of crowds, but also because the terrain is fun and the grooming is minimal). Granted, I was just given the "ok" to try skiing after a back injury, so I'd be taking it easy no matter where I go (thinking about hitting up Blue Hills in MA one weekend soon). Almost ended up at Bolton at the end of last season, but decided to go to Hill Farmstead with friends instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont