Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 07:03 AM

171 posts, read 444,936 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I'm planning to drive to the NEK and look around for rentals next week. Eventually, I'd like to buy--waiting for some land elsewhere in VT to sell to be able to do so--but think renting for awhile makes the most sense. My thought is to book a week or 2 in a pet-friendly motel (dog) and look around to get a better feel for the area and look at a few places.

There does not seem to be much listed on Craigslist. Are there local papers or other resources I might not be considering when looking from a distance? Spots in some of the towns that have bulliten boards where rentals are posted? In terms of renting first, I'd like to be in a small/town or village--Lyndon, Hardwick, etc. where there are some places to walk to.

I was born in Southern, VT and grew up on a small farm, but now live in metro Boston. (And have begun to HATE it here..lol) I remember all too well how "flatlanders" were often viewed, and am wondering how I might get around that when looking for a place to rent? I gather like many rural areas, there can be some tension. I might have Mass plates and a late-model SUV, but I'm really more Vermonter than M@ss/hole. :-)

Also, I'm self-employed (sell on eBay, Amazon, Etsy and a few other venues) and would be moving with a dog, child and possibly my mother, who has primarily worked in public schools with troubled teens. Paying a little extra upfront to move in will not be a problem, but I'm also wondering how people tend to view self employment up there? I know jobs tend to be relatively scarce and often do not pay well, so maybe this could be a plus? Or are people likely to be put off by my not having local employment? I have not rented in many years (owned, divorce.separation in prgress) and it seems many places now require in depth application forms. Do you guys find that true of most landlords in rural VT? My income is varied and not particularly impressive, but it doesn't seem any worse than the norm for the area, from my research online.

Also any thoughts on local schools--my child will be a first grader in the fall--appreciated.

Realize this is rather general, and I'll probably post again during or after my visit for more specific advice once I've narrowed down which town feels "right."

Thanks to anyone who read through! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 07:12 AM

171 posts, read 444,936 times
Btw, I really can spell, but typing skills are in short supply. :-)

Old 06-20-2010, 07:49 PM

17 posts, read 49,029 times
First grade is a very important school year. Your kid's future will be brighter being raised in Metro Boston then the NEK. Plus he/she will have a lot more school age children to be friends with and better role models in those kids parents. You may prefer the NEK but for a kid, scholastically and socially(read fun) Metro Boston is almost certainly better. Move to VT after he/she is off to college. VT will still be there and nothing will have changed.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:32 PM

18,359 posts, read 26,537,089 times
I wouldn't raise a kid in Boston. The NEK would be a healthier environment in many ways. Schools will vary from bad to good in any area. If I had kids I'd homeschool, anywhere, but that's me. There's plenty to do for a kid, but you need to raise them to enjoy what there is (more outdoor activities like fishing, hiking, hunting, shooting, and so forth) rather than to enjoy stuff you'd find in Boston or such.

Not competing with the locals for jobs can be good, but then, a business that competes with an established one may cause some bad feelings. Jobs are tough in the NEK, worse than the rest of VT. The only bright side is property is slightly less expensive there, but not quite enough to make up for the income/jobs issues...

Can't help much on the rental issues...I suspect larger landlords (owning many properties) may be more likely to have the forms, etc. But do have a lease that spells out everything you agree to. Any good landlord will do some background checking these days because of the issues with some bad renters and the laws being slanted in favor of renters to a degree.

Attitude more than anything else will determine how well you're accepted...try to control everyone, their property, and change things, demand expensive spending projects, have extreme politics, etc., then you'll run into problems, otherwise, just remember to leave MA at the door.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:17 AM

167 posts, read 354,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTgoneaway View Post
First grade is a very important school year. Your kid's future will be brighter being raised in Metro Boston then the NEK. Plus he/she will have a lot more school age children to be friends with and better role models in those kids parents. You may prefer the NEK but for a kid, scholastically and socially(read fun) Metro Boston is almost certainly better. Move to VT after he/she is off to college. VT will still be there and nothing will have changed.

Yeah why's that? I guess it's because they'll learn to be a good little liberal in the Boston school. In the NEK they'd learn about nature first hand and learn some outdoor skills that may save their life someday. But in Boston they'll learn to be a good little worker bee for the New World Order and they'll learn why it's cool that Bobby has two daddies and Jill has two mommies.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:33 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,194,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaw1972 View Post
Hello!

I'm planning to drive to the NEK and look around for rentals next week. Eventually, I'd like to buy--waiting for some land elsewhere in VT to sell to be able to do so--but think renting for awhile makes the most sense. My thought is to book a week or 2 in a pet-friendly motel (dog) and look around to get a better feel for the area and look at a few places.

There does not seem to be much listed on Craigslist. Are there local papers or other resources I might not be considering when looking from a distance? Spots in some of the towns that have bulliten boards where rentals are posted? In terms of renting first, I'd like to be in a small/town or village--Lyndon, Hardwick, etc. where there are some places to walk to.

I was born in Southern, VT and grew up on a small farm, but now live in metro Boston. (And have begun to HATE it here..lol) I remember all too well how "flatlanders" were often viewed, and am wondering how I might get around that when looking for a place to rent? I gather like many rural areas, there can be some tension. I might have Mass plates and a late-model SUV, but I'm really more Vermonter than M@ss/hole. :-)

Also, I'm self-employed (sell on eBay, Amazon, Etsy and a few other venues) and would be moving with a dog, child and possibly my mother, who has primarily worked in public schools with troubled teens. Paying a little extra upfront to move in will not be a problem, but I'm also wondering how people tend to view self employment up there? I know jobs tend to be relatively scarce and often do not pay well, so maybe this could be a plus? Or are people likely to be put off by my not having local employment? I have not rented in many years (owned, divorce.separation in prgress) and it seems many places now require in depth application forms. Do you guys find that true of most landlords in rural VT? My income is varied and not particularly impressive, but it doesn't seem any worse than the norm for the area, from my research online.

Also any thoughts on local schools--my child will be a first grader in the fall--appreciated.

Realize this is rather general, and I'll probably post again during or after my visit for more specific advice once I've narrowed down which town feels "right."

Thanks to anyone who read through! :-)
I am a property manager for a duplex in Barton and both sides will be available mid July. If you have any interest send message.....Don't worry about your license plates either..........I would also be glad to give my take on being a "flatlander" moving up.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:35 AM

819 posts, read 1,496,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
IAttitude more than anything else will determine how well you're accepted...try to control everyone, their property, and change things, demand expensive spending projects, have extreme politics, etc., then you'll run into problems, otherwise, just remember to leave MA at the door.
What he said above.........

As someone who has done the MA to NEK thing, although not permenantly as "the man" pays just enough to keep us from leaving him. I wouldn't worry too much about the "flatlander" thing, obviously I find the whole thing amusing based on some of my other past posts, however I haven't run into too many unaccepting folks in the NEK. There are plenty of "non-talkers" and just plain odd folks, just like any where else. Heck most of the locals think those folks are odd as well.

In general, you will get some of the same questions over and over and you'll notice it after a while:

"Where are you from?"
"What brings you to X?"
"Are you thinking about moving here full time?"
"What do you do for work?"

Oh and if you are a big fan of the Burlington, Rutland, Middlebury area (we aren't), I would keep that to yourself for a while. As one guy stated, "Oh, Burlington is beautiful, when your done visiting make sure you come back to Vermont."

Steve

Old 06-21-2010, 06:55 AM

17 posts, read 49,029 times
PAblackbear VT is more liberal and has far more liberals than MA. There is nothing conservative in VT, nothing. Let me know when Bernie loses his seat to an unknown republican state senator. Learning to be a good little worker bee in the new world order is a far more successful strategy then learning how to be a waitress/handyman in the backwaters of VT.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:22 AM

18,359 posts, read 26,537,089 times
The NEK is not very liberal.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:22 AM

819 posts, read 1,496,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The NEK is not very liberal.

Agreed. and I'll add.........."thankfully"........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont