Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2011, 10:27 PM

6 posts, read 12,766 times

Advertisements

Hello people of Vermont. (Vermonters?) I'm a northerner (Michigan) held against my will in the American south. I'm a soldier in the US Army and my service is set to expire soon. I plan on attending NECI in Montpelier for the Spring term in 2012. Just doing some research about the area now. Specifically looking at rentals or more accurately the lack thereof. There seems to be next to nothing available (online at least) in Montpelier. It looks like plenty in Burlington though. Is a commute from Burlington to Montpelier feasible? I'm spoiled from living within 10 minutes from work for the last ten years, might be a hard adjustment to commute again. Anyone have any property management companies to recommend for me or know of a rental? I have a family in tow and need a 4 bedroom that is OK with pets, dogs and cats nothing weird and no collecting issues here. could probably make a 3 bedroom work too. How is the job situation in VT? Wife would need to work to support her deadbeat student for 3 years. Can't be worse than 860,000 jobs lost since 2000 can it? Can't wait to experience 4 seasons again and no more funny accents and fired everything. Maybe it's the Yankee in me but I've really tired of the south. The whole "southern hospitality" thing? Total BS. The states down here are dead last in most categories except growth and temperature. Why do people move? I don't get it. Are you thinking of leaving the north? My advice is don't, it's not any better anywhere else. Except Detroit anyplace is better than Detroit. Oh and no more "jaunts" overseas for me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 04:58 PM

166 posts, read 442,022 times
Read through the posts on here. Just about every single one of your questions has been answered. There was a recent post all about Montpelier that could answer many of your questions.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:18 PM

11,762 posts, read 14,677,165 times
There are a lot of threads that answer your questions. One thing I will say is that it will be tough to commute from Burlington, given the hours you'll be putting in. I understand that sometimes you have to be there really early in the morning, like early enough to cook all the baked goods for breakfast early, so adding approximately an hour is going to be pretty hard.

You're probably going to be older and more mature than the rest of your colleagues, which also militates in favor of being close enough that you won't miss out too much on time with your family.

As for jobs, much depends on what your wife does. It might be worth her checking the state's web page for an idea of the kind of jobs available with them. Vermont.gov

Still, I really like Montpelier

Old 04-01-2011, 07:36 PM

130 posts, read 279,303 times
Black Ink agency may have some housing but houses that big to rent are hard to come by in MtP. Like Jack says, I would not recommend the commute from Burlington with the hours NECI students have to keep. It's not a great downtown but Barre has some nice neighborhoods and far more likely to get a house big enough and cheap enough for you to afford.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:59 AM

130 posts, read 279,303 times
If you're still looking I know a landlord in MontP who owns 2 houses in town. Message me and I'll pass on details.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:46 PM

113 posts, read 181,052 times
Good luck with your move. I have to say that I disagree with you about your views of the South, but I guess everybody likes different things. I am a native Vermonter and moved to semi-rural North Carolina 5 years ago. Never looked back. I remember jobs in VT being hard to come by even when the economy was relatively good. Cost of living in VT is also fairly high compared to other parts of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont