Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 06:30 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,970,557 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! Sorry about another redundant thread, I'm just hoping my questions will be a little different than everyone else's. Of course, some will be the usual. But what my family and I are looking for is a smaller town, with decent schools and low crime. Snow doesn't scare us, in fact, we love it! I would like to be within 45 minutes or so of a larger town with good medical care. We will be renting at first, so that has to be a consideration. But here's where our story might get a little different than the usual thread. ( Lol, if not, sorry for boring you! )

But from the research I have done, it appears that holistic doctors are included on most insurance plans, so we would like access to a naturopath and possibly an acupuncturist. I've also read that Vermont has or is enacting some sort of food bill to limit GMO's or at least make sure they are clearly labeled. We would like to be fairly close to a good lake for swimming, and a town that is walkable. In my head, I picture festivals / town movies at the gazebo, but not sure how possible that is. My husband will need to finish college, but may do that online, so we need a place that has good internet access. We'll want to have a garden and some goats and chickens, and tend to lean to the left, poltically speaking.

I have also read on city data about earthquake and tornado probability, how accurate do you think those are? To be quite honest, they both scare the heck outta me, but at least with a tornado you can get in a basement / storm cellar, right? And just fo

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this book, that I have written. Do you have any advice or towns that come to mind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 07:06 PM

353 posts, read 1,001,336 times
Chittenden (Milton, Colchester, Essex) Franklin (St. Albans, Fairfax, Gerogia), Washington (Waterbury, Barre/Montepelier) or Addison County (Ferrisburg, Vergennes) are probably the best places to start looking.

Earth quakes are rare and register fairly low on the richter scale. Tornadoes are even more rare and do not get about EF1....

Old 08-01-2011, 08:20 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,270,631 times
Bristol sounds like what you are looking for. 45 minutes from Greater Burlington. Weekly movies and farmers markets on the green in the summer, a huge 4th of July celebration and Pocock Rocks music festival. Bartlett Falls for swimming. Bobcat Cafe for yummy food and house brewed beer.
I'd also check in to Middlebury, 15 minutes south of Bristol. Home of Middlebury College. Lots of great events on yes, the town green. Large farmer's market. Good shops/restaurants. ABout an hour to Burlington.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:32 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,865,191 times
the "localvore" scene is big in the mad river valley but the mad river valley is not a walkable downtown per se, the mad river path is working on connecting all different parts of the valley. Mad

Bus is free and runs throughout the winter.

internet is fine and reliable- waitsfield telecom.

we do have our own movie theatre but i don't know about any outside moving showing and there are all sorts of community events happening all the time, at the movie theatre and all over the valley. August is art festival month.
Vermont Festival of the Arts | August is Art in the Mad River Valley
Vermont's Mad River Valley Chamber of Commerce
Vermont Localvore - The Localvore Website for the Mad River Valley
Mad River Path Home Page

there are lots of people with chix and gardens
we have a few farms with farm stands or stores and CSA shares available and the farmers market is pretty good too . You can get organic raw cows milk pretty easily here also.

In the winter we will hit up Montpelier every once in a while to go to the co-op and the winter farmer market.

what are you doing for work?

Old 08-02-2011, 03:51 PM

Thanks so much for all the replies! I will research and look into them all. It will be about 18 months before we can move, but we can't wait! As far as work goes, I can work from anywhere. Every once in awhile I do need to pick up something part time, but can do anything from office work to waiting on tables, etc. But we live very simply, so work isn't really an issue. Joe, thanks for the info on the CSA and farm stands, I haven't really looked into Mad River Valley yet, but you made it sound wonderful!

Thanks again, everyone!

Old 08-03-2011, 12:35 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,865,191 times
jobs are tough in this area and cost of living is high (i guess you could say the sme for most of VT). I saw a full time baking job for 20k a year (its on craigslist now) although I think it was 4 day work weeks and some benefits. where are you coming from?

Old 08-03-2011, 12:49 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,270,631 times
Just keep in mind that while the Mad River Valley is nice, its a resort/tourist community. Lots of second home owners and lots of tourists/visitors. Some people would like that and some not. The skiing sure is good there!

Old 08-03-2011, 02:26 PM

We're in a ski resort / mountain town of NC right now. Jobs really aren't a consideration, I can work from anywhere, but 20K for 4 days a week sounds like pay might be a bit better than it is here. There's a university here and not much pays over 8 or 9 bucks an hour, and because of the school, housing is astronomical!

Vter - thanks for pointing that out. Sounds a lot like where we are now, I'm not sure if that's what we want again or not. there are definitely pros / cons to that.

Do any of you have any links to the local newspapers?

Old 08-07-2011, 08:44 PM

Great links! Thank you very much! You rock, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont