Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 08:14 PM

130 posts, read 279,034 times

Advertisements

I lived in London for 30+ years and France for a couple of years. I've witnessed more racism in VT in the 7 years I've lived here than anywhere else. Some of the worse cases from my neighbors in PC Montpelier.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:02 PM

63 posts, read 137,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippylou View Post
I lived in London for 30+ years and France for a couple of years. I've witnessed more racism in VT in the 7 years I've lived here than anywhere else. Some of the worse cases from my neighbors in PC Montpelier.
Well, at least I know I am not delusional. I was starting to think maybe I was living in an alternate reality

Old 08-14-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
"Colored" used to be one of the respectful terms for Blacks, the racist, unkind, term starting with an n and ending with r. "Colored" is perhaps outdated but I've never taken it to connote racism, without other evidence the person saying it is racist.

Actually, this term has always stumped me, although I do understand the historic indications of it. As far as I am concerned, everyone is colored, unless you simply lack pigmentation.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I have Republican and Democrat friends. Does that count?

LOL. That was funny...thanks for the giggle after all the seriousness

Old 08-15-2011, 06:10 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,374,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafriz View Post
Actually, this term has always stumped me, although I do understand the historic indications of it. As far as I am concerned, everyone is colored, unless you simply lack pigmentation.
Until the NAACP changes its name I am going to assume that "colored" is an inoffensive, if outdated term.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:37 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,856,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Until the NAACP changes its name I am going to assume that "colored" is an inoffensive, if outdated term.
Don't use that term here where I live. If you do - you'll be slapped with an EO (Equal Opportunity) complaint here at work. You'd be amazed at all the 'offensive' things said depending on where one lives....sigh....it never ends.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:45 AM

93,281 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
It is used due when the organization was created(by Blacks and Whites, by the way).

Old 08-15-2011, 12:52 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,191,598 times
Quote:
From Houston and if I ever stopped at Jack in the Box my 4 year old would tell me to ask the "pink girl or orange girl" for something. Thought it was really cute since she wasn't really "black" lol

Old 01-01-2012, 06:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,483 times
Default Racism in VT...it's no illusion!

Quote:
Well, at least I know I am not delusional. I was starting to think maybe I was living in an alternate reality
I am originally from Asia, I have lived in the USA for over 13 years, I have lived in Idaho, Oregon, Georgia, Louisiana, and Michigan. I moved to Vt about 2.5 years ago and Vermont is by far the most racist state I have ever been. In the Burlington area, people are mostly fine, but I have had countless racism encounters in Milton and St Albans, where i worked and lived. I have had my turn skipped at the DMV, pharmacist who told me that she had no time for me, and U-haul people who insisted on charging me more until I went home to print out a copy of my original reservation and called U-haul headquarter etc... I can't wait to move out of this horrible state.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:47 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,142,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakewalk2012 View Post
I am originally from Asia, I have lived in the USA for over 13 years, I have lived in Idaho, Oregon, Georgia, Louisiana, and Michigan. I moved to Vt about 2.5 years ago and Vermont is by far the most racist state I have ever been. In the Burlington area, people are mostly fine, but I have had countless racism encounters in Milton and St Albans, where i worked and lived. I have had my turn skipped at the DMV, pharmacist who told me that she had no time for me, and U-haul people who insisted on charging me more until I went home to print out a copy of my original reservation and called U-haul headquarter etc... I can't wait to move out of this horrible state.
Living in Milton and St. Albans, regardless of your race, was your first mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont