Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2011, 10:13 PM

38 posts, read 76,993 times

Advertisements

I'm a massage therapist & baker who is thinking of moving to the NEK. Will I actually be able to make a living there, or should I plan on keeping my CDL and continuing to drive for a few more years, until the economy improves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 05:34 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,137,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madamex1968 View Post
I'm a massage therapist & baker who is thinking of moving to the NEK. Will I actually be able to make a living there, or should I plan on keeping my CDL and continuing to drive for a few more years, until the economy improves?

My spouse and I do bodywork in Rutland. It took us three years of treating tourists at the spas in Killington while building a private practice to make a go of it. Still, business is always up and down. (I also work in the nonprofit sector, too, which is by choice -- I prefer wide variety in my work, which is a good thing considering Vermont's economy.)

I think NEK doesn't have a Killington-type setting nearby to ensure some income. If you could build your practice while driving, it's possible you'll develop a viable business over time and be able to transition.

Do you plan on baking as well? I'm guessing there are always jobs for a baker, chef, and other skilled culinary folks, but I don't know what they pay.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:55 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,966,597 times
I know that Jay Peak is doing some expanding - not sure if they are adding a spa? Could be something to look into...

Old 08-10-2011, 07:49 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,675,748 times
The Kingdom is both economically distressed and pretty sparsely populated, so it might be tough to make a go of it there.

I can tell you that massage therapists and other alternative healing types are pretty thick on the ground in Montpelier, so if you were to come here you might find the competition to be pretty stiff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont