Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 09:57 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,763,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
Nope. Nothing here in North Troy that I was aware of. Just another ho-hum day. Maybe Irene will liven up the weekend.
Let's not go there...I am debating whether to stay on LI for the storm, or head to VT. The current forecasts show NYC taking a direct hit, I'm 50 miles east. I don't want to be away in the event there's serious damage, but then again, I don't want to be around to witness it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 10:07 PM

190 posts, read 653,309 times
I felt it here in Burlington. At first I thought that it was the upstairs tenant moving stuff around his apartment. But then the whole house started shaking and my lamp was wobbling back and forth.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:35 AM

44 posts, read 114,113 times
we had some bricks fall from older buildings in south New Jersey... Hope my new place in VT is ok. I guess if it's made it since the 1800's it should make this, though! lol

Old 08-24-2011, 05:01 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,862,687 times
I was about 60 miles from the epicenter here in Virginia. We had local elections happening yesterday and I was taking a break outside calling my husband. In the middle of the call it felt like I was standing on a ramp of a parking garage or an overpass (you know how you feel the vibration and wobble) and then it started to feel like I was standing on top of a wave and I told my husband that I thought we were having an earthquake. LOL, guess we were - a few seconds later he said that their building was shaking and he had to go. I couldn't go home to check on things since I had to stay at the election and traffic was so bad that it took him almost 2 hours to go just over 15 miles! When he got home he said that every single picture on the wall was tilted, some CDs on a shelf had fallen off the edge, and one of our cats wouldn't come out from under the bed until late last night. We had lots of new cracks in our adjoining townhouse wall....maybe with the next one we'll be a single family home!

Last edited by vermonter16; 08-24-2011 at 06:23 AM..

Old 08-24-2011, 05:56 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,667,443 times
It's funny that not many people didn't feel the quake. I guess my close combat training paid off in many ways. I was very aware and sensitive to my surroundings.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:22 AM

Here's a cool link:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/Quakes/se082311a.php

Here is the intensity map.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquak.../us/index.html

Old 08-24-2011, 06:26 AM

5,296 posts, read 7,246,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerz View Post
Addison County

Thought the Cat was horsing around thundering through the house upstairs, then I realized she wasn't upstairs, water in the aquarium was swaying. This was like the 5th one here in Vermont for me. Never felt any when I was in California. Used to get tremors in Colorado Springs quite often, very subtle though.
I got thinking, I don't remember the date of the last tremor, but I do remember our Cat who is just a bit over a year old now, was a kitten, she was sleeping under my chair so she was already under a chair lol, but it scared her for sure. That one sounded more like a big truck bumping into the house. Was that last Summer?
I think that quake was in Canada?

Last edited by Summerz; 08-24-2011 at 06:28 AM.. Reason: Canada

Old 08-25-2011, 03:37 AM

Had another aftershock this morning coming out of Mineral, Virginia - I live in Manassas. Although I was on a tempurpedic asleep it woke me up and apparently the cats....because there were none to be found.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:13 PM

11,762 posts, read 14,681,526 times
I was just talking to someone yesterday who felt it. She said that she was sitting on the toilet, which is on the concrete floor of the ground floor of her condo, so her interpretation is that there was nothing flexible, like floor joists or carpeting, to shelter her from feeling it directly.

I thought it was TMI, but she is the only person I've talked to who felt it in Montpelier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont