Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 11:37 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,773,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Well of COURSE it was redundant. Unlike you, I was concerned for the future of the OP, while you're concerned about my credentials. So I said what others said earlier, but wrote more bluntly so that she wouldn't think it was a do-able option.

This whole thread you haven't offered a single bit of constructive advice to the OP. All you've done is imply that I can't offer any good advice to someone about to make a big mistake, because I haven't lived within the state boundaries - even though I HAVE lived in the geographic area. Or did you think those state boundaries were real things put there by God like the mountains? Are you saying that someone living in Williamstown has no business offering advice to someone in Bennington, because they're a different species living in different states?
I, too, am concerned with the OP's future. My advice, admittedly indirect, is not to place much stock in the advice and generalizations offered by an individual who once lived in the geographic region (New England), who has never lived in the state of Vermont (merely visited) and who now lives 3,000 miles away (in California.)

Moving from the UK to the US is not as simple as moving cross country. In all fairness to the OP, the most current information should be extended to help them. Please know that I am not saying you don't mean well, but that your advice is dated and not based upon actually having lived in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 11:56 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,187,503 times
My advice was the same as what others have said, and I DID live in the area. Vermont, Massachusetts, and northeastern NY are the same area geographically, culturally, and climatically, even if legally divided. Most of New Hampshire and Maine are about the same area too, except near the ocean.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:30 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,382,618 times
Quote:
My advice was the same as what others have said, and I DID live in the area. Vermont, Massachusetts, and northeastern NY are the same area geographically, culturally, and climatically, even if legally divided. Most of New Hampshire and Maine are about the same area too, except near the ocean.
I can see how someone who is unfamiliar with most of New England and who has been living 3000 miles away would think that this is true.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:45 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,139,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
I can see how someone who is unfamiliar with most of New England and who has been living 3000 miles away would think that this is true.

I agree. That comment made me laugh. I've lived in several parts of "it's all the same" New England, and found it to be anything but -- culturally, economically, topographically, you name it. New England areas may have more in common than, say, Vermont and Kansas, but that's about it.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Actually I've very familiar with New England ...... just not the particular village you live in.

Why, do you not feel able to comment on anything but NE Vermont? You don't have any understanding of human behavior except for those of your closest neighbors? I suppose that anywhere else you've lived in the past is forgotten, your knowledge of that area too stale to comment on anything anyone does there nowadays.

Is that true of your birthplace? I doubt you were born where you live now. Do you feel no competence to offer opinions on anything happening there?

Gosh, you must live more than a hundred miles away from where you were born! It's changed so much there, that you would never presume to write about whether they might have problems moving there, huh? It's all about your little enclosed village now. You'd probably have to saddle up the horse and buggy to find out anything about what has happened to your birthplace.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post

I agree. That comment made me laugh. I've lived in several parts of "it's all the same" New England, and found it to be anything but -- culturally, economically, topographically, you name it. New England areas may have more in common than, say, Vermont and Kansas, but that's about it.
Put a lot of deep thought into that comment, have you? Say, how far do you live from your birthplace in Miami Beach? I'll bet you don't remember a darn thing about it, it must be over a thousand miles away.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:23 AM

130 posts, read 279,445 times
Quote:
Here is a bit more detail on the public transportation in Vergennes.

http://www.cctaride.org/pdf/Current%20Web%20Schedules/August/76.pdf (broken link)

Basically there are two buses for the morning commute and two for the evening commute on weekdays and a few buses on Saturdays. The bus runs between Burlington and Middlebury.

If you are thinking of relocating to where I think you are, the nearest bus stop is about a mile from your place of work. It also stops at park-and-ride locations, so there is a chance you could get off at one of those and join a carpool that is headed to where you want to go. It would mean some inconvenience to be sure. Unless you're in the center of a major metropolitan area, having your own vehicle is always more convenient.
And the bottom line is would any of want to do this in the middle of winter? The answer is a big "NO" otherwise there would be more buses, more trains, and less cars on the road. Sure, some people have to do it, and ask them if they like it and if they had a choice in the matter. I'm guessing not. This isn't "some" inconvenience, it's a major inconvenience being dependent on someone for transport all the time to do literally anything except walk around town...especially to someone in a new country, a new job, and very new climate. If public transport was doable and liveable there would be more of it in VT.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:31 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,382,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippylou View Post
This isn't "some" inconvenience, it's a major inconvenience being dependent on someone for transport all the time to do literally anything except walk around town...especially to someone in a new country, a new job, and very new climate. If public transport was doable and liveable there would be more of it in VT.
Actually I've been there and done that the first time I moved to Germany. After finding out that public transportation isn't even remotely as good as its reputation even in major cities I ended up getting a vehicle after about one year.

But back to the problems of OP, if it's a matter of solving the transportation problem, where there is a will there is a way.

Being green with ACTR | Addison County Transit Resources

Connecting Commuters in Vermont | Go Vermont

On the other hand if it is a matter of making sure to avoid living in places that are not exactly like what you're used to, none of us should ever move.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:11 PM

130 posts, read 279,445 times
And Germany has a climate and culture that's much more hospitable. We're not talking about a European country. We're talking about friggin Vergennes which is small and remote that's lost a lot of businesses in town in the past year, and has brutal winters. I don't know why nobody is allowed to disagree with you, frugal, but I hope you get over it soon. I can't even be bothered to answer your last statement it's so ridiculous. I hope that makes you happy.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:25 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,139,929 times
Quote:
Put a lot of deep thought into that comment, have you? Say, how far do you live from your birthplace in Miami Beach? I'll bet you don't remember a darn thing about it, it must be over a thousand miles away.
Someone moving to South Florida recently asked me about living there. I had to answer that I could tell them what I recalled, but it's changed so much that my responses were likely to be useless, and at the very least should be compared against current reality. I wouldn't event try to comment on parts of South Florida where I've never lived, such as Delray or Homestead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont