Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 08:29 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,848,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post

Comparing VT and the Jersey shore? I'll take VT bug wise. Those biting black flies and green heads from Jersey have VT bugs beat.
We went to a bird sanctuary at the Jersey shore a few years back. I think we made it about six feet from the car before we had to RUN back- I have pictures of my friend where the back of his white shirt looks black from all the green heads and black flies. Have of the sanctuary was drive through, and you could hear the green heads just pinging off the doors the entire time.

Thanks for the replies- it sounds like they aren't as big a problem as my friends suggest. Any thoughts to the good vs. bad sides of VT- not the weather so much, but maybe things outsiders wouldn't know about state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 01:39 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,191,037 times
I've only lived in the NEK for 9 years now and have never had a black fly prob. I moved over from the Littleton,NH area where I was mauled by the buggers a lot. I even ended up with fever and all my glands swolen and seemed to have the flu. There actually is NOW a vaccine for those severely allergic to black fly bites. Do what it takes to find the perfect place to live.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:17 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
.... Any thoughts to the good vs. bad sides of VT- not the weather so much, but maybe things outsiders wouldn't know about state?
Howsabout a comment on the weather that's positive? If you know how to dress for the winter you can go outside and enjoy it without getting too cold. Jeans and other cotton clothes may be adequate in Jersey during the winter, but they can be dangerous to wear in very cold weather (an old truism for backpackers is that "cotton kills in the cold").

If you don't already know about dressing for the cold, here are the basics: get good long boots, wear polypro, nylon, or silk in the layer next to your skin to wick away moisture (so it won't freeze), wear a layer of thick fleece or wool over that, and have an outer shell of waterproof/breathable fabric (such as goretex, you might start by looking at REI.com) ................ some leather coats work well too, and an oldfashioned wool coat or mac that is thick enough to repel water and wind is also acceptable, if the latter two items are used with a wool scarf.

Here's a women's fashionable wool coat, but I don't know if it repels wind and water: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/70411?feat=610-GN1 ..... just to show you that you might find something functional AND attractive if you google long enough, or if someone here knows of a retailer.

Last edited by Woof; 09-07-2011 at 03:29 PM..

Old 09-13-2011, 09:46 PM

22 posts, read 22,597 times
You'll know when the black flies are bad; you can see them as huge black clouds moving around.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:17 PM

10 posts, read 17,440 times
Ben's Bug Repellant works well against black flies, if they still sell it. Orange can with black cap.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:45 AM

1 posts, read 2,903 times
I moved from Long Island to Vermont 10 years ago and it was the best thing I ever did. I will gladly take a couple of weeks of black flies to 52 weeks of traffic, crowds and pollution. My blood pressure has dropped, my kids are all excellent snowboarders and mountain bikers, and they are surrounded by polite and patient people.

Yes, winters are long. One has to be ready to get outside in the winter(as the other reader said- skiing, skating, snowshoing, etc.) It is definitely frustrating that the flies come out as soon as gardening really kicks into full gear. I live in the woods of Shelburne and I am annoyed for about 2 weeks from the flies, but that doesn't stop me from getting out there and enjoying all that Vermont has to offer.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:40 PM

189 posts, read 301,353 times
I grew up along the Jersey Shore, and I can testify to how painful those greenhead fly bites are. But, for me, the blackflies of New England are way worse, and I'd say it depends on what your body is sensitive to. The greenhead fly bites hurt but only for a brief time, mostly right when you've been bitten. I've had the whole side of my face swollen up to twice its size by black fly bites, and it was deeply uncomfortable for about three days (and looked as though someone beat me). If you're particularly sensitive to them, or they particularly LIKE you, it could be an issue.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:02 PM

530 posts, read 1,340,293 times
Yeah black flies can swarm you and unless you are dressed head-to-toe in mosquito netting, there is no escape. They are relentless and will even get under your glasses. Luckily they go away when the weather gets hot, but then more annoying insects arrive to take their place!

Old 05-11-2012, 07:37 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,660,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny1951 View Post
Yeah black flies can swarm you and unless you are dressed head-to-toe in mosquito netting, there is no escape. They are relentless and will even get under your glasses. Luckily they go away when the weather gets hot, but then more annoying insects arrive to take their place!
I'm not sure there is a more annoying insect than the black fly. They are relentless and bit really hard for a bug their size.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:22 AM

48 posts, read 107,685 times
I'm becoming convinced that different states are getting a bad rap on the black flies. And not only that, but it appears that no particular state has the market cornered on them.

As you read these forums you can visit the Maine pages and they proclaim "oh, the horrible black flies." And in Vermont you get the same "oh, the horrible black flies."

Well, I've got bad news for some other folks: As we speak I'm sitting in a rural area of Maryland and "oh, the black flies are horrible." You can't walk in the yard, sit on the porch or anything else without getting chomped on. Of course, pretty soon the deer flies will be showing up too.

So in conclusion, I think the black flies are a geographic product of every state. And having seen them in places like out in the middle of the Chesapeake Bay (while boating), apparently they're not afraid to attack over water either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont