Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 12:00 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,883,164 times

Advertisements

ahhh I have a manual, and the mileage is not great. The MPG indicator on the dash is way off, also. I want to say around 23mpg mixed city/highway.

Is CVT auto more efficient than manual these days?

It does look like the ground clearance on the Outbacks is bigger for newer models.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 01:45 PM

219 posts, read 482,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post

It does look like the ground clearance on the Outbacks is bigger for newer models.
Like when Ford did vice-versa, appeared to lower the ground clearance for 2002 and later model year Explorers.

But, the 2011 model year and later Explorer looks more like a Volvo XC90.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:59 AM

1,442 posts, read 6,506,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
When I get a new car, I plan to get a Subaru. But since my old Nissan still runs nicely, at least for now, I'm not in a hurry.

I was waiting until they made a hybrid Subaru, but I don't think that will happen in the near future. I hope I'm wrong on that one, though. But it's nice that Subaru's gas mileage is improving.

Which Subaru is best in the snow? Or are they all the same? I see more Outbacks and Foresters than any other Subaru. I'm seeing, I think, more and more Imprezas and Legacys but there are not nearly as many of them as Foresters and Outbacks. Is this just a matter of storage capacity, or are there really differences in snow traction?

I rarely see a Tribeca.

BTW, I used to own a wonderful little Subaru GL hatchback. It had on-demand 4WD, which has its advantages and dsadvantages. But the car did feel a lot more secure on snowy roads with the 4WD on. Part of that may have been psychological, but the feel of the road did feel different.

I've read online that Subaru has been experimenting with hybrid concept cars, and plans a hybrid for 2103. I don't know if it the hybrid will be available in the US or if the hybrid engine will be restricted to one particular model, or perhaps to a new model altogether.

At the same time, it may be better to avoid a new model for the first year, and wait until the manufacturer get the kinks out.

A hybrid AWD could be a Vermonter's dream!

The 2012 Imprezas are reported to have much improved gas mileage, but I don't think they are available here yet. At least I don't see any on the local dealership's website.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:53 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,147,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post

The 2012 Imprezas are reported to have much improved gas mileage, but I don't think they are available here yet. At least I don't see any on the local dealership's website.
December

Old 09-21-2011, 04:27 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,883,164 times
i guess i'm talking about an outback so its a bit bigger... usually loaded to the gills with crap!

Old 09-22-2011, 07:07 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,387,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
I have one (a CRV). With snow tires it kicks butt in the snow.
We have two. Including one with 200,000 miles and you're right. No problem getting up our steep, curvy driveway in a foot of snow.

But I do love Subarus. My dream car is a green Subaru Forester. Hubby thinks they're overpriced, however, so not likely to buy one anytime soon.

My daughter had to do a math paper about the most popular cars in Vermont based on vehicle registration earlier this month. I think Subarus were first followed by Honda CRVs, followed by Ford pickups.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:17 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,269,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
We have two. Including one with 200,000 miles and you're right. No problem getting up our steep, curvy driveway in a foot of snow.

But I do love Subarus. My dream car is a green Subaru Forester. Hubby thinks they're overpriced, however, so not likely to buy one anytime soon.

My daughter had to do a math paper about the most popular cars in Vermont based on vehicle registration earlier this month. I think Subarus were first followed by Honda CRVs, followed by Ford pickups.
Ha. I knew I was right.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:56 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,685,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
I'd be curious to see the site where you can find that information. My sense is that Subarus are the most popular, and that SAABs have probably dropped as the 9000's and 900's are retired, with Priuses coming on strong in recent years.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:22 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,668,030 times
Subaru is the number 2 registered brand in Vermont. I don't know #1, but I was talking to a family friend who works for Subaru of Keene at a family event about a month ago. We were talking about cars and that type of stuff and they looked at vehicle registrations from the DMV to get that information. The registration numbers are a little off however. Vermont Sports Car builds all US Subaru rally cars. Every one of these cars have to be registered. The rules state that the cars must be street legal and be registered. Since all the cars are built in Vermont, all the cars are registered in Vermont. They aren't building thousands of cars per year, but enough to have almost twenty people on just the fabrication side of the operation building cars full time.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:56 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,951,699 times
I can't say for sure what #1 is either, but from my personal observations in the NEK I would put the Ford F-150 4x4 in that slot. Dodge Ram 4x4s next and then Outbacks. Other than being butt-ugly in recent years, I have no explanation for why I don't see as many Chevy trucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont