Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 09:46 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,802,728 times

Advertisements

Take classes -- cooking, baking, dancing, writing, art, theater, sewing/knitting -- to name a few. Engage your tactile senses and discover who you are deep within. Join reading groups, volunteer for a charity, become a dog walker for a local shelter, deliver meals on wheels, become a Big Brother/Big Sister.

I don't believe you're picky but I do believe you need a better idea as to what makes you tick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 03:13 PM

7 posts, read 14,909 times
Keep them coming folks. I appreciate the suggestions thus far.

Quote:
How about joining a gym and lifting weights? Gets you out, makes you feel and look better and you meet people.
Vermont gyms are really poor, and aside, I never know why anyone would pay for one versus just getting equipment. I have equipment, not paying for a membership.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:09 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,293,156 times
What about watching live sports? UVM hockey and basketball games are fun.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:51 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,510,780 times
The best advice I ever read was, I think, in a Dear Abby or Ann Landers column, believe it or not.

The advice was: You meet people by taking your interests into groups. That is, by joining groups that share your interests.

There is always stuff to do and to learn. Reading, craft projects, study, music, art, etc. And that's stuff you do alone. You can take any of these activities into groups. Book groups, craft classes or groups, study groups, art and music groups, etc. etc. And then there are activities that involve other people to begin with, such as volunteering in the community.

Any other other ideas I would contribute to this thread have already been addressed by others. But anyway....

If nothing interests you, you may want to rule out depression. Especially if you used to be interested in things and now are not.

Physical exercise is very good for depression, but if you feel seriously depressed, you might want to get screened by a doctor or therapist.

BTW, you can be depressed and not feel depressed. Sometimes depression manifests itself as boredom or irritability.

And I think sometimes one can be in a physical, cultural or social environment that is not a good fit. For example, if you like urban activities and culture, such as theater, nightlife, and intense stimulation, and do not like rural activities, you may be bored in the country. That's something to think about.

But sometimes the problem is more internal. If that is the case, one will take it anywhere one goes.

I hope this helps.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:10 PM

Since this has been discussed many times in this thread.

I do suffer from depression, and have since I was a child. It's something I have gone to doctors on, and one of the ideas was to go to a social setting and meet people with similar interests, however not go to something I know I would hate or do hate.

However, that is not what the topic is about, I am looking for something to do in Vermont that could involve something that I am interested it, without hanging around people double/half/etc. my age (I am sick of hearing about the next generation being stupid or how everything was better years before I was born), and not be a booze-fest or sporting/outdoorsy event. I would not want to discuss anything about depression or any ailments in this thread. It is not what City-Data is about in my mind and is not what I came to the website for. I thank you for the concern and I would appreciate it if the discussion on my condition ended with this post.

I cannot move from Vermont. I live here, I have a career here, I have a home here. I cannot just pick-up and move. As much as I dislike Vermont. I am stuck here and am trying to make the best of it.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:47 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,292,162 times
You want to meet people your own age who aren't only into partying and sports, right?

I know there are other people your age in the same situation. You just need to find them.

Do you like art? Attend arts festivals. Are you creative, artistic yourself? Create art and become a vendor at arts festivals.

You mentioned you didn't have time for a bible study group. That indicates that you would be open to meeting other Christians your age. Start a Weekly Dining social meetup for Twenty-Something Christians, where one night a week, say every Friday night, you go to meet at different restaurants for dinner.

I asked if you were into gaming before. There's another type of gaming that isn't computer gaming. It does involve getting together with others. I don't know what it's called exactly. It's wargaming. There are these huge play boards spread out on a huge table. Here are pictures of it: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...M6Th0QHUwdWcAw In my region, the way you find them is via the hobby store. The stores usually have game nights or a bulletin board about game nights. If not, you can ask. If you can't find them that way, try starting a meetup if it's something that would interest you.

And try to rethink only spending time with people your own age. You can meet someone through a person older than you. They could end up adoring you and wanting to introduce you to their daughter or granddaughter. Friends dont' have to be the same age. I'm in my mid-40s and I have friends spanning from their 20s to their 70s.

Is fishing too outdoorsy?

Is there a church in your area that caters specifically to young adults? I found this: Saint Andrews Christian Church If that's not up your alley, just start googling and making calls to pastors unti you find something.

I'd like to reinterate getting involved in volunteer work. People you meet who are volunteering aren't usually partying all the time.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:04 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,897,485 times
farming?

Old 01-16-2012, 11:10 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,144,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
farming?
This could be a great idea. In Rutland where I live, there are volunteer opportunities on farms that can result in going home with delicious food -- and getting food to folks who really need it. I'm sure Burlington, what with the Intervale and community gardens, has options. Working together is a great way to be with people.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
farming?
Hah! There's certainly a ton of that around here isn't there.

Quote:
That indicates that you would be open to meeting other Christians your age.
I'm not really into religion. It was just an example.

Quote:
I asked if you were into gaming before. There's another type of gaming that isn't computer gaming. It does involve getting together with others. I don't know what it's called exactly. It's wargaming. There are these huge play boards spread out on a huge table. Here are pictures of it: Google In my region, the way you find them is via the hobby store. The stores usually have game nights or a bulletin board about game nights. If not, you can ask. If you can't find them that way, try starting a meetup if it's something that would interest you.
I am aware of gaming, I tried gaming with people however like I said, they're around 20 years older than me, so it's not that fun. There's only 1 public gaming store in Burlington at least and it's been a hole since the store changed owners.

I work full time, so volunteering isn't an option.

Quote:
And try to rethink only spending time with people your own age. You can meet someone through a person older than you. They could end up adoring you and wanting to introduce you to their daughter or granddaughter. Friends dont' have to be the same age. I'm in my mid-40s and I have friends spanning from their 20s to their 70s.
I spend way too much time with people double/triple my age. I am sick of it.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:53 PM

198 posts, read 466,022 times
I think that almost everyone has given you some great suggestions but you just shoot them down. I am not sure what it is you really want from these members. Maybe take an online personality type test to discover what it is you really like. Maybe you do not like anything. If that is so maybe trying something new that you have not done before but have already convinced yourself that you will not like it. You can always go on ebay and buy a gold pan and some paydirt. It provides hours of tedious work but you do get gold. (not get rich quick gold, but you do get self satisfaction and a little bit of excitement).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont