Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 07:36 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,432,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman5694 View Post
I am aware of gaming, I tried gaming with people however like I said, they're around 20 years older than me, so it's not that fun. There's only 1 public gaming store in Burlington at least and it's been a hole since the store changed owners.
Start a Gaming meetup for 20-Somethings .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman5694 View Post
I work full time, so volunteering isn't an option.
Many people who work full time find time to volunteer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 07:42 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,155,712 times
you sound like an Apleebee's man!

Old 01-16-2012, 07:44 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,225,882 times
So. Basically the OP does not like anything. Everything suggested has a predetermined answer as to why it is not any good. Once again. Look inward OP. The problem is not your location.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,114 times
I just moved to Burlington from Maryland/DC and always thought of myself as a homebody... I'm struggling to find things to do here also. And if you've lived here for a while and you're still bored, I'm beginning to get a bit nervous. I'm looking for a way out of here already!

Old 02-02-2013, 10:49 PM

23,697 posts, read 70,911,181 times
I can relate somewhat to the OP. I was both depressed and bored in Vermont. Part of it was S.A.D.S. (seasonal affective disorder) and it took moving south for me to lick that. Part of it was the odd energy of the state - get back in the valleys and it is even less hospitable if you tend towards depression.

I have to say it - much of the time depression is anger turned inward. Until that gets resolved, not much will be of interest to the OP. I speak from experience. I also have to say that some of the psychologists that migrated to Vermont don't know their ___ from a ___ (insert your own words there). A good Jungian psychologist can make a world of difference to someone with depression and make things more interesting.

One of the things that helped keep me going in Vt. was taking the night courses at UVM. I did meet some interesting people, learned a few things, and felt that it kept my horizons from closing in. Some of the profs doing the night courses can be pretty good to hang out with.

I know that the OP is not interested in being around previous generations, and I can understand the frustrations, but often someone who has maturity has to get over the age barrier hangup and go for quality in relationships, regardless of age. Such is life.

Trips to New York City, Broadway and some of the eclectic events there, can make a difference to a life in Vermont. Montreal is closer, but NYC has a vibrancy that I related to more.

Dunno if any of this helps. I kinda get a kick that the OP may dismiss it, only to eventually come back to it on his own when the time is right. Things click into place at their own pace.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:23 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,688,283 times
Vermont has a perception that rarely lives up to peoples realty. Thats just the way it is. Its a hard life in a lot of ways.
We were forced to move from VT due to an undesirable family matter. When we got that handled and needed to move again, we found our Vermont in Kentucky

Old 02-03-2013, 11:27 AM

26,498 posts, read 46,929,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Vermont has a perception that rarely lives up to peoples realty. Thats just the way it is. Its a hard life in a lot of ways.
We were forced to move from VT due to an undesirable family matter. When we got that handled and needed to move again, we found our Vermont in Kentucky
Well, the Appalachian part of KY has basically been ruined by the coal companies so I don't find the two states similar at all from a conservation standpoint.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I can relate somewhat to the OP. I was both depressed and bored in Vermont. Part of it was S.A.D.S. (seasonal affective disorder) and it took moving south for me to lick that. Part of it was the odd energy of the state - get back in the valleys and it is even less hospitable if you tend towards depression.

I have to say it - much of the time depression is anger turned inward. Until that gets resolved, not much will be of interest to the OP. I speak from experience. I also have to say that some of the psychologists that migrated to Vermont don't know their ___ from a ___ (insert your own words there). A good Jungian psychologist can make a world of difference to someone with depression and make things more interesting.

One of the things that helped keep me going in Vt. was taking the night courses at UVM. I did meet some interesting people, learned a few things, and felt that it kept my horizons from closing in. Some of the profs doing the night courses can be pretty good to hang out with.

I know that the OP is not interested in being around previous generations, and I can understand the frustrations, but often someone who has maturity has to get over the age barrier hangup and go for quality in relationships, regardless of age. Such is life.

Trips to New York City, Broadway and some of the eclectic events there, can make a difference to a life in Vermont. Montreal is closer, but NYC has a vibrancy that I related to more.

Dunno if any of this helps. I kinda get a kick that the OP may dismiss it, only to eventually come back to it on his own when the time is right. Things click into place at their own pace.
I think it might be more of the intense cold (moreso in the past) with more pronounced seasonal changes in daylight. I understand some are impacted by SAD but the vast majority of places in the US are located MUCH FURTHER SOUTH in latitude compared to most of Europe. Germany is located around 50N latitude as well as England. The Nordic countries are 60N. What doesn't make sense to me is why all of these Europeans settled in the US so much further south in latitude compared to their native lands if we don't factor in direct push/pull factors related to the growth of particular cities/employment/port of entry, etc. I have mainly northern European ancestry and I really don't feel very comfortable south of 40N latitude because the intensity of the sun is much too strong. I have a very strong preference for nordic sunlight with a bright snowpack. I would take 10F and snow on the ground over 35F and rain. I would imagine that parts of western Europe would have a drab winter cliamate as they are moderated by the Gulf Stream. The Northwest US in winter would be tougher for me as well because I do prefer the brightness of the snowpack over dark grey misty days.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:37 PM

444 posts, read 790,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
What doesn't make sense to me is why all of these Europeans settled in the US so much further south in latitude compared to their native lands if we don't factor in direct push/pull factors related to the growth of particular cities/employment/port of entry, etc.
Because of the Gulf Stream and prevailing winds, northern Europe is much warmer than comparable latitudes in North America. London and Amsterdam would be like northern Ontario without them, and that explains why not many immigrants settled farther north here.

There are a lot of factors that affect climate. I like to think of Mt. Everest: sub-zero temperatures and howling winds at the same latitude as Tampa, FL.

I have ancestors from 51 degrees (London) and 44 degrees (Armenia), and Vermont works for me (44 degrees).

Old 02-03-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldorell View Post
Because of the Gulf Stream and prevailing winds, northern Europe is much warmer than comparable latitudes in North America. London and Amsterdam would be like northern Ontario without them, and that explains why not many immigrants settled farther north here.

There are a lot of factors that affect climate. I like to think of Mt. Everest: sub-zero temperatures and howling winds at the same latitude as Tampa, FL.

I have ancestors from 51 degrees (London) and 44 degrees (Armenia), and Vermont works for me (44 degrees).
Correct. I did mention the Gulf Stream in my prior post. However, it still doesn't explain the huge preference that most Americans of European ancestry have for living in cities and areas far south in latitude in the US. I've been to many of those places and I can't be outside more than 10 minutes without getting a sunburn in the southwest US. Also, with the climate getting warmer many of the lower latitude agriculture areas are facing much longer drought cycles and water shortages. That is a topic for a different thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont