Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 08:27 PM

7 posts, read 14,890 times

Advertisements

I've lived here in Vermont, in the Burlington/Essex area my entire life. I have yet to find or bump into anything entertaining. I'm in my early 20s and dislike drinking, snow sports, and live music. I have been and always been bored in Vermont for all my life, even when I was younger.

Anyhow, any suggestions would be welcome. I have looked at things like Seven Days, and Meetups. Nothing appealed to me. Art Shows and bowling with people easily double my age doesn't appeal to me. I don't have the time for bible/book groups.

I am picky, so thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 08:38 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,180,488 times
You mentioned a lot of things you don't like to do, but what do you enjoy?

If you don't like outdoor activities, have you thought about moving to a large city?

Old 01-14-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
You mentioned a lot of things you don't like to do, but what do you enjoy?

If you don't like outdoor activities, have you thought about moving to a large city?
I'm just looking for a brainstorm of ideas. I don't enjoy much. I just know what I dislike a lot.

I am not aware of any large cities in Vermont. I have to stay here for my work.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:58 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,945,677 times
Open up a little. There's gotta be something that you DO enjoy. That would give others a place to start re. recommendations. Do you have a bike? Do you enjoy walking/hiking? Do you read much? Tell us what interests you...

Old 01-14-2012, 09:06 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,140,913 times
If you can figure out something you like to do, you can start your own meetup group.

That will help you connect with others who have similar interests.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
Open up a little. There's gotta be something that you DO enjoy.
I'm sorry, not trying to be difficult. But I am trying to find something to enjoy, thus the initial question.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:10 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,140,913 times
It's not uncommon for teenagers to feel this way. They are too young to go to the bars. There's really nothing for them to do. And if you don't drink, you're still in the same situation after you turn 21 if you haven't developed other interstests.

Is there anything at all you like doing? Are you into gaming? You could start an adult gamers meetup. What do you do with your time? Have you considered volunteering? If you like animals, you could volunteer at the animal shelter and get to know other people who like animals?

I'm just tossing out ideas to help you brainstorm. Maybe something I mention will lead you to another idea entirely.

Is it possible you are depressed?

Old 01-15-2012, 06:04 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,974,135 times
How about joining a gym and lifting weights? Gets you out, makes you feel and look better and you meet people. Your name is superman, after all . I started late in life due to a friend and it does wonders for your mental and physical health.
If absolutely nothing excites you, then depression is a real possibilty. Nothing to be ashamed of and it would be wise to talk to a doctor. It's especially common in young adults and very treatable. Good luck!

Old 01-15-2012, 06:37 AM

18,359 posts, read 26,525,608 times
Hunting, fishing, trapping, bird watching, studying wild plants, hiking, boating...just a few things I can think of. Don't dismiss something without trying it either.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:43 AM

444 posts, read 789,115 times
I'll just guess that you're an introvert and don't like being surrounded by people, especially noisy ones, much of the time. Contrary to what the majority, extroverts, think, there's nothing wrong with that. However, you're still responsible for your own happiness and have to figure something out. I think living in different places helps you get a better perspective. I've lived in the country, city and suburbs, 8 states and 2 countries. If that isn't a practical option, I'd try finding a significant other. That's probably the best thing you can do to put your life in focus. But I notice that the under-30 crowd is somewhat relationship-challenged compared to their elders. Women don't need men as much as they used to, because they're economically independent. And those in Internet 2.0 generation often seem to lead virtual, not real, lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont