Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 10:15 AM

809 posts, read 1,002,651 times

Advertisements

Sheena, as regards taxing the best-off, Vermont shares with most states the notion that we are a girl who believes her boyfriend when he says he will leave her if she doesn't prostitute herself for him. Our legislators are cowed by the notion of raising taxes when they ought to be considering what tax revenues are needed for.

The present tax system in Vermont puts the heaviest burden on the poorest-- they have the highest tax load and "capture rate" (amount actually paid vs. amount owed), and the best-off have the lowest rate, the greatest percentage of income deducted from taxation and the lowest capture rate.

As for the young leaving the state, they are replaced by people who have made their $75,000 a year elsewhere and now want to retire someplace that's really nice and not loaded with glitz-- quite a few of them, like Bear Stearns VP Bruce Lisman and Bain Capital's Michael Verdi, were born here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 07:49 AM

15 posts, read 22,766 times
Though we have enjoyed our time here, we too, will be leaving. We moved here in the late 80's and have raised a considerably larger family than most. (10 kids) I did supplement our income with daycare & small jobs but we are middle class and don't get breaks for much. Not complaining! It's just a fact here.
Our kids found it better for them to attend college away and this led them to living in places that they could afford. Also, they enjoy year round outside activities and it just isn't appealing to live in -temps and dark dreary days that make it so you need Vit D suppliments to stay healthy.
Out of 10, 7 have left the state and with just 3 left we are also planning on leaving for a more temperate climate once high school days are done.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:47 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,299,705 times
Interesting piece on VPR a couple weeks ago about America's rural "brain drain".
Studying The Rural Brain Drain: Where Aspirations Outpace Opportunity | Vermont Public Radio

Old 09-03-2014, 12:24 PM

48 posts, read 59,128 times
So many people talk about Taxes and the Cost of Living. Neither one of those is a big problem for me: you get what you pay for and my education and experience as a lifelong Vermonter were excellent.

The problem for me is that it's a terribly boring place for any single person over the age of 35, and the weather is just getting worse and worse. Last Winter did me in and I'm outta here.

I spent the Summer hiking and enjoying my home state, but I won't be back anytime soon.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:29 PM

48 posts, read 59,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
My business lets me live wherever. My work is not dependent on the local economy. I would have certainly have considered or would consider Vermont, but too much in the way of blue state politics and high taxation. I've come across others in my age group that feel the same way. It seems to me to be a state sticking it's head in the sand and young people will continue to avoid it.

Nice not-so-veiled Blue state smack.

Young people don't avoid Vermont. Most would love to live here, given the chance. Many come for college or post-college and leave afterward.

On another note, Blue States attract far more young people than Red States. The only thing that Red States have going for them are economic, and even those benefits are marginal when you consider the other weirdness and weirdos that Red State living comes with. They certainly don't have most of what young people look for, and that's just a fact that becomes clearer by the year.

Young people aren't flocking to Florida and Oklahoma. If you think so, you're deluded.

Old 09-18-2014, 03:09 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,402,108 times
As long as Vermonters think that wood-burning is renewable and green-energy (there is no such thing) and want to promote hair-brained schemes like labeling perfectly safe foods, anyone with any sense is going to leave a place where reality gets stood on it's head. Plus the excess labor pool in nearly every industry and trade pushes wages downward. Thank the Trustafarians for that who shop around for the best $13/hr carpenter they can find so they can stretch out their monthly gimme bucks. Just change the name of your state to Trustafaristan for a little truth-in-advertising.

Old 09-18-2014, 03:22 PM

18,332 posts, read 26,586,012 times
Wood is renewable. Forests will always grow back when properly managed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont